The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Penguins Name Jason Spezza Assistant GM

Rate this topic

-DLC-

He will report directly to president of hockey operations Kyle Dubas and assist management in all hockey operations departments. 

Spezza spent last season as a special advisor to Dubas with the Toronto Maple Leafs after wrapping up his 19-year NHL playing career. 

"After a decorated playing career, Jason fully immersed himself on the management side of the game learning all facets of hockey operations this past season while with Toronto," said Dubas. "He showed tremendous work ethic, curiosity, and ability to build relationships throughout all departments at the team facility. His move from the roster to the front office staff also helped make the hockey operations department, coaching staff and playing roster a more cohesive and collaborative unit. We are thrilled to have Jason join the Pittsburgh Penguins today as he will add a great perspective to our club, and we are excited to watch him reach his potential in management."

In 1,248 career NHL games, the Mississauga, Ont., product scored 363 goals with 995 points split between the Ottawa Senators, Dallas Stars and Maple Leafs. The 40-year-old was named an NHL All-Star twice in his career and won gold with Team Canada at the 2015 men's World Championships. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

So Dubas will be choosing the AGM’s for the GM.  Wonder how much he’ll allow his GM to run things.

Just an instinct, but I have a strong feeling they are going to regret hiring Dubas. And strangely I think Spezza will take over at GM when Dubas is gone.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Just an instinct, but I have a strong feeling they are going to regret hiring Dubas. And strangely I think Spezza will take over at GM when Dubas is gone.

Spezza is already more qualified to work in hockey ops than the idiot who hired him.  Going to be real interesting to see how long Pittsburgh holds out before realizing how incompetent Dubas is.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

4 hours ago, Kurt Nirvanagut said:

I have a friend in Ontario who went to high school with Jason Spezza and she insists to this day he was an asshole haha

And he couldn't possibly have changed in the past 25yrs. 

Edited by higgyfan
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2023 at 11:57 PM, Kurt Nirvanagut said:

I didn't say I thought he was an asshole lol. It's her hangup. 

Probably half the school was in love with him, including her.  My wife went to school with Lindros, every single girl had a crush on him.    She tutored him in math, was a shy man child, and a perfect gentleman.     Brought this up before as an insight into his hold up about going to Quebec City.   Didn't want to be "a god" which is what the owners said he'd be if he went there.   Didn't want that.    People forget sometimes that these are just 17-18 year old kids, just graduating high school when they get drafted.    Sure some of them are entitled brats.    But a lot of them are just like Gretzky too.   As in always trying to include every kid in pick-up games of any type, and modest to a fault. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

As for Spezza.   Joins the ranks of highly skilled former players, being groomed for the big job.   Sure is an old boys club.  Snow.  Briere.  Yzerman.  Sakic.  Hextall.  Clark.  Benning/Linden, Craig Conroy (really?!!, that would be like giving Hansen the big job wouldn't it?).    Unless your like Parros and Grimson, have a hard time understanding how uneducated athletes, run billion dollar companies.    You'd think you'd at least need an MBA, or a law degree, or both.   And have at least 10 years experience running a medium sized corporation.    At least Mike Gillis made some sense.    Guess their job (GM's) isn't that hard.    Can see coaching as a natural progression.    This GM stuff seems more like a country club gimmicky let's hire your nephew sort of thing.   Hope they at least make them take a BCOMM.   

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

As for Spezza.   Joins the ranks of highly skilled former players, being groomed for the big job.   Sure is an old boys club.  Snow.  Briere.  Yzerman.  Sakic.  Hextall.  Clark.  Benning/Linden, Craig Conroy (really?!!, that would be like giving Hansen the big job wouldn't it?).    Unless your like Parros and Grimson, have a hard time understanding how uneducated athletes, run billion dollar companies.    You'd think you'd at least need an MBA, or a law degree, or both.   And have at least 10 years experience running a medium sized corporation.    At least Mike Gillis made some sense.    Guess their job (GM's) isn't that hard.    Can see coaching as a natural progression.    This GM stuff seems more like a country club gimmicky let's hire your nephew sort of thing.   Hope they at least make them take a BCOMM.   

Experience with known what makes a winning team, especially the intangibles is something you can't learn in a classroom.

• Cheers 1