The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I was wrong on this one too... Thought that there was absolutely no chance that we would do this. 

Yeah I didn't think we'd be stupid enough to do this either.  Seeing a $6M anchor contract on the Avs 3rd pair during their Stanley Cup winning run, I figured we could ride OEL on the 3rd pair and get by.  Instead, we pay dead cap every year now for 8 years.  Unbelievable.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

32 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah, I'm honestly done watching this team until these clowns get out of office. They are awful managers.

I think you might have to wait a long long time cause any management hired by Aqua will have the mandate to do this kind of things over and over again. 

It is not the management, it is the ownership. The owners hires guys that share his vision. So Aqua may not technically be meddling but he sure as hell hired people that would behave as he would. 

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

There are only two iffy years and the rest we’re dinged with a cap hit of $2.1 million. If the cap is going up over the next few years as much as we think it’s going to go up, then it’s almost a non issue. 

this.gif

Excellent post and point! Grounded reason and reality. Nice to see some sanity around here. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Petey pull a Tkachuk at this point and not sign a long-term deal.

100% if I’m Petey I’m thinking at my options or going right up to FA and ask him flat out what the f**king plan is. He’s not sticking around for anymore of this gongshow shit f**k!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, DrJockitch said:

My biggest concern is that when JTM is 32-34 the penalty is $5M. The penalty only declines to easy to deal with when he is starting on the steeper downslope. 

I honestly think JTM is going to be at worst a 50pt 20g player during this contract, tail end, he won’t be useless like LE

• Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

2.1 million is the difference between a quality backup goalie and what was iced last season.  It matters.

Yep, playing with dead cap is never a "It doesn't matter" situation. That's a good 3rd liner at 2.1m, or as you say a good back up or good 3rd pair D. 

The cap goes up, so does everyone's salaries, the 2.1m is still going to hurt the team. And that's not including the years of over 4m cap hit, that will really hurt the team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah I didn't think we'd be stupid enough to do this either.  Seeing a $6M anchor contract on the Avs 3rd pair during their Stanley Cup winning run, I figured we could ride OEL on the 3rd pair and get by.  Instead, we pay dead cap every year now for 8 years.  Unbelievable.

Just shows that there were 0 teams interested in our wingers, without paying a massive price to move them.

This team is still in trouble, make no mistake.

Would have liked to see if OEL had any bounce back in him this year.

Oh well.

Onwards to more mediocrity. 

Yeah also didn't expect this buyout or wanted it. 

Thought OEL played well in his first season here and poorly this year (injured supposedly). Would have much rather tried to work with him and mount a comeback season. If it didn't work in a year or two then do the buyout. 

Having a 2+ million cap penalty for like 7/8 years is gonna suck, especially the 2 years where is is 4.7 in a time period when we should be competing. 

• Cheers 1

With the sacrifices they have made my expectations are for them to make the playoffs next year.

There are no exceptions or excuses anymore.

If they don’t then the sacrifices were all for nothing which is unacceptable. 

• There it is 1