The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

It's definitely going to be musical chairs this season if it wasn't already.  We know management is okay moving Miller but want a center in return.  Dahliwal reports Myers will be moved in Sept.  We need a 3C and 2 top 4 dmen.  

I'm cautiously optimistic about a new defense group.  Maybe someone smarter than I can say how much cap space we have now after the buyout?

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We could just trade Petey, Demko, Bughes, Hronek, Miller and do a deep diving rebuild for 7 years and hope the players we draft during that time can be as good as the core we currently have instead. 

The current core Benning built?

The foundation Benning laid seems solid right? We just need to fiddle around the edges add a Kuzmenko and a Hronek poof contenders. 

Our D corps is..... 

Hughes 

Hronek 

Hirose 

Rathbone

Brisebois

Woo

Does a 6m Mayfield/Graves retirement contract fix our D? Trade assets for Noah hanifin??

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Reality is poorly built team is poorly built. We couldnt rebuild in 2014 because our assets were worthless. We actually have assets right now Pete Hughes Demko Miller Kuzmenko that a savy GM could turn this team into a contender in 5 years with players peaking at the same time. The reality is we aren't in sync to compete because we have no foundation to support them. Pete's not an idiot he's either going to hold Alvin over a barrel for max $$$ or he's gone. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

What did we just pay for a top 4 defenceman that we don't even know can play to the same level?

A 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick.  

Therefore we know what the ballpark for a cost controlled under 26 top 4 defenceman is.  Are we really going to be continuing to go down that road?

No not even close.We trade a player like Beau as Hogs can take his spot add Rathbone and a 4th. Something like that.

That's an example that could work for one spot.Bring up someone from Abby.Filk a spot with an ufa. There's three spots filled.

32 minutes ago, dougieL said:

@Elias Pettersson I can't remember the details, but I think at least one of us is going streaking...

Haha, I believe you are the one that will be running naked around downtown Vancouver as I correctly predicted that OEL would get bought out this summer.  :)

Only @Alflives actually believed me and supported my position. Everyone else just laughed at me. 

Also, this kinda proves I’m a little bit of a Canucks insider considering not even Elliotte Friedman predicted that this was going to happen. 

Maybe my account is actually run by the Canucks.  I will never confirm or deny it though. :)

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, think of it this way ...

Bill Gueren bought out both Parise and Suter ... at like $14 mill ... and Minnesota is better because of it.  

I’ve thought of that as well - and while I’d didn’t post it (feel free to not believe me!) when Bear got hurt I kind of circled back to the OEL buyout as a cure-all for this upcoming season too.  

With the league’s cap crunch we can probably find a D and a C who look good enough with OEL’s space. And a D who fits better with Hronek or Hughes to boot.

But 8 years? Long term pain for short term gain. Ah well.

Omg...just keep digging eh? Another impatient move. Probably because they talked to 31 other GMs and finally accepted that they can't move any of the bad contracts.

Thanks Benning. The OEL trade has got to be worst move he made as a Canucks GM.

I'm quite certain this is going to come back and haunt us.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Haha, I believe you are the one that will be running naked around downtown Vancouver as I correctly predicted that OEL would get bought out this summer.  :)

Only @Alflives actually believed me and supported my position. Everyone else just laughed at me. 

Also, this kinda proves I’m a little bit of a Canucks insider considering not even Elliotte Friedman predicted that this was going to happen. 

Maybe my account is actually run by the Canucks.  I will never confirm or deny it though. :)

True I said next year but the writing was on the wall.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Things to think about

Trade Beau as we have Hogs to take his place.

Myers might be a deal or tdl.

Johansson and Woo start the season here plus McWard.

Replacing OEL

Hirose,Wolanin Briesbois

3c could be Amen bring up Sasson as a C or just use Joshua.

Trade for one with Garland,Rathbone and 4th.

We can make things work.

We actually have Juulsen, Wolanin, Burroughs,  Breezes, Hirose,  maybe a new rookie rises up. It'll be interesting.  It's a low bar to replace oel. 

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I see. Okay. Well. Uh. I guess I'll do it but only if someone agrees beforehand to post my bail...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Are you saying that enjoying Wolanin, Hirose, Briesbois in the final months of the season was nothing but an illusion and that they really aren't any better than OEL.  The only advantage would be their lower cap hit

I actually liked what I saw from the three you mentioned, it was more a comment of how OEL last year wasn't any better than guys with next to no NHL experience.

The best case scenario for next year was that OEL returned to being the player he was in 2021-22 and even then he probably wasn't worth a +$7 million cap hit. Of course there's no guarantee that the Canucks will be able to find more cost-effective defencemen to replace him, but I still think there are better odds of that working than just hoping OEL can play way better than last year, even if he was injured.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And yes - I must give you credit for calling this, good sir :lol:

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Drakkon said:

F it, Myers next please. 

I think Myers will be playing for a contract, auditioning for next year. He may end up showcasing himself by Xmas.  I think by then he'll be a tradeable piece for  a bubble team like Fla.