The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

3 minutes ago, LucBourdon28 said:

Teams like Vegas win cups because there isn't useless sh** eating up cap space @J-Dizzle

I don't think any Stanley cup winner had dead cap from a buyout on their books.  So be ready to wait at least 8 more years before the Canucks have a shot at a cup.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I disliked the trade, I disliked OEL and his crap contract and I hate that we are in a position that we have to buy this guy out.  1 FACKING SEASON BENNING.  We had 1 season to wait out LE and we would have been in a fantastic position cap wise.

I strongly dislike you Benning...very strongly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

McWard is 22, and had 2 years in College.

Johansson is 23, he's been playing in SHL for 4 years.

Rathbone is 24, 3 years in the minors.

Highrose is 24. 3 years in NCAA, and a cup of coffee in Vancouver last year.

Wolanin is 28, 86 NHL games, and years experience in the minors.

Jett Woo is 22, and 3 years in the minors.

And we have the option for Juulsen, Keeper, Burroughs, and Bear.

The question is, are these guys ready to step in and can they play a bigger role?

The steadiest of them all is Brisbois, I believe he's still under contract.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

McWard is 22, and had 2 years in College.

Johansson is 23, he's been playing in SHL for 4 years.

Rathbone is 24, 3 years in the minors.

Highrose is 24. 3 years in NCAA, and a cup of coffee in Vancouver last year.

Wolanin is 28, 86 NHL games, and years experience in the minors.

Jett Woo is 22, and 3 years in the minors.

And we have the option for Juulsen, Keeper, Burroughs, and Bear.

The question is, are these guys ready to step in and can they play a bigger role?

Unless its as a number 6-7 defenseman the answer is no. 

• Cheers 1

This is rinse and repeat.

They just did the same as Benning when he traded for OEL. get rid of cap space for short term gain.

The 2 years of 5M cap hit are in Petey and  Hughes prime years and they wont be able to advantage of it.

They should kept him for at least another year or 2 and see if he could bounce back after his injury this year.

And hopefully I eat my words in 3 years but certainly can't agree with this today.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

In this thread’s poll, 

which has been voted on by nearly 100 members/fans here, over 90% were in favour of waiting it out. Nearly complete agreement from both sides that are for/against the direction of the team from members here. 

It should be interesting to see how fan reaction on a broader scale will pan out. 

For my own defense. I voted wait it out but more of Myers and Boeser in mind than OEL which is on another spectrum. 

OEL buyout is wholly dependent on what they do next. More of the same like Benning and we are screwed. More crafty moves then it may be a net positive. 

I for one ain't too concerned about the 2mil cap hit. The pre under $5 portion of the 2 mill would still represent a net saving on the cap and by the time year 5 kicks in, you can expect the minimum salary of players to be around $1.5 mil so it is a wash if we draft and develop well.

Now those two years is gonna hurt but buying him out in 2 years doesn't really change the cap hit for those 2 years much anyways so still represent a net saving. 

Now ofcourse this is all dependent on a continuing growing cap which we have latched on wagon on. So I guess go Toronto and New York? 

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Hirose looked surprisingly good.  Rathbone is now or never. And Wolanin is probably a 6-7. The rest is very questionable but it is early. 
Who knows what may happen. 

Also Woo improved too. We'll see. 

7 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

I disliked the trade, I disliked OEL and his crap contract and I hate that we are in a position that we have to buy this guy out.  1 FACKING SEASON BENNING.  We had 1 season to wait out LE and we would have been in a fantastic position cap wise.

I strongly dislike you Benning...very strongly.

He was trying to save his job and now he'll never get another one.