The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Jey I didn't say good. I said someone servicible like Bear on a 4.5 mil contract. 

A Bear-level defenceman at 4.5M is the equivalent to nearly a 7M cap hit including the dead cap.  In those 2 years of $4.8M dead cap, it's like paying Ethan Bear $9.3M for 2 years in a row!  It's brutal.

• Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If this move gives the team the space to sign or trade for a couple of solid defensemen to round out the top 4 with size and stay at home acumen, I think you'll look back on this move with indifference.

However if it is just replaced with another albatross... 

• Upvote 1

Not surprising for 7.2mil he was not living up to his contract with his performance it will suck the 2 years of the over 4 mil in dead cap. Outside of those years it isn't too bad. Really goes to show just how bad Benning's moves were, he dumped 3 players that were all on expiring deals only to get back another player with even longer term. I don't have much expectation that the Canucks are going to make it far in the playoffs if they manage to even get there next year. Until this team finally fully embraces a full rebuild I am not holding out hope for them.

Edited by Shekky

6 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Can't see the Canucks having the pieces for Hanifin unless they're looking at moving a 1st Rd pick.

Hanifin is 26 and will need a new contract after this one. If the 11OA is in play for Hanifin at a division rival, then I will feel a lot less positive about the cap space the Canucks just bought.

To me, the goal now is to continue to try to move out cap but to require more assets in return now that there is cap space to work with. At the same time, the team needs to continue adding young depth, ideally with a longer time horizon not just for team control but also a lower AAV. Hanifin could be a $7M+ dman next summer at the rate prices are increasing, and the Canucks will have to re-sign Hronek too.

If there was some way to bring in Hanifin without trading a 1st, then sure, I'd be interested, but I can't see why CGY would do that with the Canucks.

11OA for Hanifin is way too much. How about Garland or Beau with a 2024 first?

I hope by next year that pick be in the 20’s

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

A Bear-level defenceman at 4.5M is the equivalent to nearly a 7M cap hit including the dead cap.  In those 2 years of $4.8M dead cap, it's like paying Ethan Bear $9.3M for 2 years in a row!  It's brutal.

Hey at least that is improvement over OEL with the same cap hit and I said short term like 1 or 2 years before the $4 mil cap hit. Read please. 

This is the minimum expectation for this not to blow up in their face. So trade for another team's elephant that have been chewed a bit more than our OEL wholly mamoth.

Edited by 24K PureCool

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

However if it is just replaced with another albatross... 

Well. That remains to be seen. Based on Hronek, I'd like to think that Alvin realizes that the skill portion of the defense is acquitted quite nicely. Now, time for some stay at home bone crushing. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So.  $5 million in dead cap RIGHT when Hronek, Pettersson, Beauvillier, Podkolzin, Nils, Dakota, Studnicka, Brisebois all need new contracts or extensions and when Demko is due for his extension during the weakest free agency crop in the last 5 years plus an additional $2.417 million in dead cap for the next 7 straight years minimum for a team that has been at or above the cap every year since 2010 and boasts one of the shallowest prospect and depth pools in the entire league

Ya, seems real smart.  Because why not right?

This is without mentioning we have currently got Myers as our best non Hughes defenseman in a year where Serverson just got $6+ million meaning every single dog and pony show on the blue line is going to start at $4.5 million in free agency and this is an organization with a long successful history of questionable free agency signings.  Bear injured until at least November, Burroughs, Brisebois and Rathbone as our 3,4,5 while he's out.

I question the hell out of the timing and intelligence of this move when Boeser or Myers would have returned more cap space in a shorter amount of time without the dead cap

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Assuming they qualify Bear, they'll have 10 million in cap space (with Pearson + Poolman as LTIR riders)

I dont think they can stop here - simply replacing OEL with a 5 million dollar defenseman (Graves) and getting a 3C is not going to make us better. Long run it makes us worse, because we'll be paying a Graves type player 5m + having OELs buyout on the books. 

They need to push the chips in, clear even more cap, and completely restructure this thing

Attach a sweetener or retain something on Garland

Launch Myers into the sun (Arizona) after his Bonus is paid

Then weaponize the 20 million in cap space to steal good players from Boston, Tampa etc etc.

If they can turn this disaster into a lineup with Barbashev & Acciari as 3c and 4c, and exploit LA or Columbus to pick up someone like Roy & Sign Graves, pick up a Forbort from Boston now i think we're talking

Kuzmenko-Petey-Beauvillier

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Barbashev-Podkolzin
Hoglander-Acciari-Studnicka

Hughes-Roy

Graves-Hronek

Forbort-Bear

Doing this buyout for anything short of this outcome is a big disaster. 

Too many moving parts. They won't be able to swing a restructure like this.