The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

After watching the interview with Todd Harvey I think they genuinely think Willander is better than Zack Benson. They may have perceived their respective potentials as top pairing D vs top 6 forward (i.e. not #1 centre).

Edited by Maddogy
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Allvin did a good job scouting his personality, he seems like a solid kid and you can just see a future leader in him. I see the Heiskanen comparisons, boy would we be lucky if he pans out like that. Willander was always going to be our pick IMO no matter who was on the board, even if it was a toss up between him and Reinbacher I think Allvin goes with the Swede now.

Looks like a great fit. Whether this is BPA or best positional need or best character, it ticks all our boxes.

He'll surely be a consistent top-4 defenceman for us for a long time. Maybe not flashy, may never score 60-80 points a year (although he might...) but it'll be nice to see him gain some muscle, get a bit bigger and play against some older kids in the NCAA. Willander really was a fairly safe pick, I think he's got such a low risk of being a bust.

Todd Harvey confirmed that the top 10 picks were what the Canucks expected save for couple variations thus if those 2 bigger D’s were available at #11 they may have not picked Willander.

Willander has a higher floor than Zack Benson.

Edited by Maddogy
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Was that Bedard walking by at the end of the video, shaking Willander's hand and saying "Congrats"? 

Indeed. He is a die hard Canucks fan. Unfortunate we didn’t win the lotto but it’s in the past. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not that the inability to draft Bedard made me think about this (ok, maybe a bit), but why is this kind of system of forced servitude even in existence any more?  Like why are incoming players subject to being drafted to teams that they may not want to play for (leaving them with limited options to exit that sort of sphere of influence), and then being stuck as an RFA for teams that benefit by haivng them for pennies on the dollar if they are generational phenoms?

Like, this is supposed to be a capitalist society, wages should be calculated on a fair basis as determined by the market, and not constrained by the collective bargaining agreement; this is also supposed to be an enlightened society that should have done away with slavery, and yet, young players have no say in where they want to sign contracts with.

Instead, we have in essence young players treated like slaves at market, where their professional fate is determined by antiquated systems, and whose freedom to choose their employer can only happen when they've bought it themselves  after the 6 or 8 years of forced servitude they need to endure first.

It's almost like we're in 2023, but the leage is still stuck thinking it's 1623.  :rolleyes:

Same reason we have a cap in place. To ensure that the same top 6 teams don’t win basically every year by being able to throw money at the best players and best prospects. I get what you’re saying though…

I am not enamoured with the pick.  I always worry about players that rise in the second half and based on some tournament play.

But this is the safest possible pick available with size and skating ability at the RHD position and we NEED EVERY PICK TO HIT over the next few drafts.

he is about as sure of an NHL player on the blue line as we'll see and that is a home run pick for 11 as an RHD for me and that is awesome.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Does Willlander ELC fall under EU rules of NCAA rules

He's going to the NCAA so he can't sign an ELC. Doing so would void his college eligibility and he'd have to turn pro.

How long of an ELC he signs depends on the year he leaves college (age).

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Todd Harvey confirmed that the top 10 picks were what the Canucks expected save for couple variations thus if those 2 bigger D’s were available at #11 they may have not picked Willander.

Willander has a higher floor than Zack Benson.

Benson if he breaks right could be a special player if he doesn't his floor is a slightly more talented virsion of Connor Garland.  

22 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I think Willander has been hiding his final true form for years.  Letting ASP take all the spotlight.  But I think Willander is the real gem.  Tell me who this reminds you of at 00:57 mark.  His rush up the ice is Makar tier . 10/10 

This^^^^^ 

The shift where at 45-53 ish seconds is Hughes like, how many times have we seen Hughes do the first move as he's being chased? LOTS! 

Thanks for posting the video brought up in a discussion yesterday that I was going to post to prove he definitely has potential for dynamic ability and has been showing some already but went to bed and forgot about it.

Does he need work? Omfg he's 18, certainly but there's loads of potential there. 

Side note: our top 3 picks all D? Not too shabby! 

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, icycold said:

This^^^^^ 

The shift where at 45-53 ish seconds is Hughes like, how many times have we seen Hughes do the first move as he's being chased? LOTS! 

Thanks for posting the video brought up in a discussion yesterday that I was going to post to prove he definitely has potential for dynamic ability and has been showing some already but went to bed and forgot about it.

Does he need work? Omfg he's 18, certainly but there's loads of potential there. 

Side note: our top 3 picks all D? Not too shabby! 

He might not be as creative as Quinn but his gap control is better and he has dynamic straight away speed.  It reminds me of the EP40 draft when all the scouts were sleeping on his talent they had him ranked in the 9-13 range.  Our same scouts I feel have done it again. 

14 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not that the inability to draft Bedard made me think about this (ok, maybe a bit), but why is this kind of system of forced servitude even in existence any more?  Like why are incoming players subject to being drafted to teams that they may not want to play for (leaving them with limited options to exit that sort of sphere of influence), and then being stuck as an RFA for teams that benefit by haivng them for pennies on the dollar if they are generational phenoms?

Like, this is supposed to be a capitalist society, wages should be calculated on a fair basis as determined by the market, and not constrained by the collective bargaining agreement; this is also supposed to be an enlightened society that should have done away with slavery, and yet, young players have no say in where they want to sign contracts with.

Instead, we have in essence young players treated like slaves at market, where their professional fate is determined by antiquated systems, and whose freedom to choose their employer can only happen when they've bought it themselves  after the 6 or 8 years of forced servitude they need to endure first.

It's almost like we're in 2023, but the leage is still stuck thinking it's 1623.  :rolleyes:

I hear you,  the system flies in the face of 'free market economy' that we're supposed to be about. 

That said,  if we didn't have an amateur draft,  or something like it, the NHL would've lost about 6 or 8 franchises in the past 10 years or so and that's on top of the teams that relocated.  Small market teams wouldn't stand a chance in today's economy.   The NHLPA also understand that they'd lose hundreds of obscenely high paying jobs for their members if franchises folded, so they're Ok with the draft I'm guessing. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1