The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Draft - Who Would You Have Selected?

Rate this topic

MikeyD

As stated in the title, let us know which players you would have selected in the positions available! The aim is to come back to this in 3-5 years and see how we all did!

I shall start!

Round 1

Pick 11: LW Zach Benson

Round 3

Pick 75: RW Jayden Perron

Pick 89: LD Luca Cagnoni

Round 4

Pick 105: RD Cam Allen

Pick 107: C Luca Pinelli

Pick 119: RD Arem Minnetian

Round 6

Pick 171: LW Timur Mukhanov

This is the first year I've been able to do a more in depth analysis and scouting work. Probably have pumped well over 100 hours of homework into this draft but most of it is on first round to second round talent. I don't have access to many games so I'm reliant on reports for later round picks, combined with shift by shift analysis if it's available and just general internet research. I was like a hardcore casual scout this year lol. 

If you're familiar with these players you can tell I aim for upside as opposed to specific traits. Try to find good deals in the draft. Lots of these players are projects but have a bit of special something to their game and need something else to round out to turn into NHL players.

I'm confident with my top 2 picks despite being undersized forwards. Both are play drivers that have some great tools and good motors and good IQ. I would have also gambled on Ziemmer however being truthful to my order drafting Perron would have meant I couldn't have taken him for our second third round pick as he wasn't available (but had I cheated, I could have taken Ziemmer first and then Perron second).

From thereon out there's definitely more gambling going on. Go big or go home picks.

I really really really wish we had some 2nd round picks. So much potential fell into the 2nd round and we didn't have a single pick there. Oh well! Let me know how your picks would have gone! 

• Cheers 1

I'm only doing round one, I would have gone with either the guy we did pick or ASP, possibly Wood. We didn't need another winger, we needed either a really good future RD, or more depth at center.

You round out other positions as you move deeper into the draft, you address positional issues with guys who are more likely going to make the NHL.

We made the right choice as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

As stated in the title, let us know which players you would have selected in the positions available! The aim is to come back to this in 3-5 years and see how we all did!

I shall start!

Round 1

Round 3

Round 4

Round 6

This is the first year I've been able to do a more in depth analysis and scouting work. Probably have pumped well over 100 hours of homework into this draft but most of it is on first round to second round talent. I don't have access to many games so I'm reliant on reports for later round picks, combined with shift by shift analysis if it's available and just general internet research. I was like a hardcore casual scout this year lol. 

If you're familiar with these players you can tell I aim for upside as opposed to specific traits. Try to find good deals in the draft. Lots of these players are projects but have a bit of special something to their game and need something else to round out to turn into NHL players.

I'm confident with my top 2 picks despite being undersized forwards. Both are play drivers that have some great tools and good motors and good IQ. I would have also gambled on Ziemmer however being truthful to my order drafting Perron would have meant I couldn't have taken him for our second third round pick as he wasn't available (but had I cheated, I could have taken Ziemmer first and then Perron second).

From thereon out there's definitely more gambling going on. Go big or go home picks.

I really really really wish we had some 2nd round picks. So much potential fell into the 2nd round and we didn't have a single pick there. Oh well! Let me know how your picks would have gone! 

I actually did a top 100 for fantasy purposes (probably a little different than how I'd actually rank them but not by that much) so just checking my list against who was on the board at each pick I'd have gone:

11. Eduard Sale

75. Juraj Pekarcik

89. Jayden Perron

105. Aram Minnetian

107. Cam Allen

119. Beckett Hendrickson

171. Connor Levis

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Cam Allen I was hoping we'd trade up into the 2nd round for, kinda bummed we didn't take him with one of our 4ths. He ended up going in the 5th round.

Other than that I like who we got. I wasn't too informed on later round picks. I only really care about the 1st and 2nd round when I look into players. Lol.

44 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Some just see big offense number and go with that. 

Mate I can't speak for others but that's just BS.

Some of us have put days into scouting this draft.

I am not saying that I would drafted Benson over Willander however I might have taken Perron with our second third rounder, and there is a lot more to their games than a bunch of points. 

They both have the three basic things I personally look for in a prospect, vision/ IQ, work ethic and an endless motor.

• Vintage 1

1.I would of Picked Nate Danielson 6'1 C --went #9 --

2.Willander 6'1 RD-185 lbs - 18 --Solid D man  great defensively - has offence- great skater- so much to like about his complete game.'

Also most swedes would not come to NA this fast... Very great pick, solid #2 or #3  D man in 3 yrs... 

Only if Simashev or Michkov are still there would I not pick Willander as my first choice. Benson might very well turn out to be a stud, but if we don't fix our deficiencies on D, we'll be in the same position year after year and keep paying an arm and a leg to get those Ds via trades or free agent. I really don't think the 'BPA' ranking between Willander and Benson are that far off, if different at all. 

I don't know any players outside of the first round, but I'm pretty happy we picked up another RHD with our second pick. Sounds like CDC are generally happy with the D picks but the forward picks later in the 4th round are truly big swings. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I actually did a top 100 for fantasy purposes (probably a little different than how I'd actually rank them but not by that much) so just checking my list against who was on the board at each pick I'd have gone:

11. Eduard Sale

75. Juraj Pekarcik

89. Jayden Perron

105. Aram Minnetian

107. Cam Allen

119. Beckett Hendrickson

171. Connor Levis

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I shall start!

Round 1

Round 3

Round 4

Round 6

My Stab:

11. Tom Willander

75. Hunter Brzustewicz

89. Jayden Perron (Although I like the pick Mynio they made I think he could be a sneaky 3rd Rounder, )

105. Hoyt Stanley

107. Jaden Lapinski 

119. Aram Minnetian

171. Aidan Celebrini

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Willander, Mynio, Hunter, Allen, Minnetian, and Celebrini 

Our defense pool would be top 5 in the league 

yeah not sure why they passed on Allen and minnetian but tbh they lack a lot of Cs in their pool to so I think they actually went positional with the Cs and were targeting guys with high IQ character and mueller - speed, Vilmer- size, skating ability.

Cameran allen was a -22 and Minnetian did not have a great WJ tournament at the end of the year...

11. Zach Benson                             > I had Wood next then would have gone Willander

75. Hunter Brzustewicz                   

89. Jayden Perron 

105. Cameron Allen

107. Bogdan Konyushkov

119. Carter Sotheran                      

171. Connor Levis                           > Steal here!   I would have been awfully tempted, had Timur Mukhanov higher than either 119 or 171, already had two small F.

Heavily D focussed in spite of not going Willander 11.  I would have picked Perron 75 had we taken Willander 1st round. Alex Rykov at 89 (Assuming Brzus gone).  I am a fan BPA round one, and when obvious BPA is available later.  Generally I have guys pretty close from round 2 on, so do trend to balance my draft after getting D. I might have picked Levis at 119. Then? 

I have picked all these players between three fantasy keeper leagues. Except Perron but I had him 1st round late. Konyushkov in two pools.

• Vintage 1

I just realized I had Matthew Mania on my board and I took him off switching the order. I'd probably replace him with Pinelli despite loving his energetic game. I thought I had him on my board still but looking back at my post I clearly don't.

Adds another RD to our system with size and offensive touch as well.