The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks sign Filip Zadina

How would you not be able to beat that on a one year or the same AAV for a two year contract.  Pedigree, ability and the fact that there is a defensive floor makes it a no-brainer.  Well done Sharks, but surprised there wasn't a better offer.  Maybe a better opportunity for mins was his main driver.

Is it me or is anyone else surprised that there seems to have been little demand for Zadina around the league? Yes, I know that many teams are capped out, but I would have thought he could score a two or three year deal for around $2M per. Then again, if he quit on one team, then maybe other teams are understandably reluctant to take on a guy they might suspect is a bit of a prima donna. Anyway, I wish him well and hope he shows the kind of talent that made him such a high pick.

6 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Is it me or is anyone else surprised that there seems to have been little demand for Zadina around the league? Yes, I know that many teams are capped out, but I would have thought he could score a two or three year deal for around $2M per. Then again, if he quit on one team, then maybe other teams are understandably reluctant to take on a guy they might suspect is a bit of a prima donna. Anyway, I wish him well and hope he shows the kind of talent that made him such a high pick.

I think he took a deal that gives him the best chance at NHL minutes and prove he deserves to be an everyday player. Also to set up his next contract... Time will tell. I Still prefer Hogz at 1.1M though

• Upvote 3
  • There it is 1

13 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Zadina didn't "quit" on a team. If anything, he did Detroit a huge favour in mutually terminating his contract so they didn't need to buy him out. He's taking that risk because he believes he can still become a quality hockey player if given the time to work on his game.

FZ went where he has a spot in the top-6 and PP by default, because he wants to prove he belongs there. Not many teams would have such a lack of talent that they could make that guarantee. Certainly not the Canucks, who would have at least 4 wingers ahead of him on the depth chart.

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

His primary role and job is to score goals and he has proven himself to be very bad at it.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

I can't say I'm surprised. When a player doesn't show much in the league and continues to not show much in the league, the interest in that player becomes less and less. My guess is he's going to have some "real estate" in some people's heads (such as yourself) based on his reputation when he was drafted. This is proof that things do change and you only have so much time before you really need to prove yourself again.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Low risk high reward, he wasn't even that bad, just didn't get any patience or time surprisingly. He may well end up becoming a bust but even then, he'd be a decent 3rd or 4th liner. If he grows into his body and becomes a powerforward then look out.

He did at least have one season where he scored 24 points. That being said, in that context, even Virtanen has a more proven track record in the NHL than Zadina does... and that's saying something.