The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks: How new trainer, new outlook could produce best version of Brock Boeser

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

Im glad he isnt playing in da beauty league.

while he is a smart guy and a pro I think it might give him an inflated sense of where he is at in his game by building false confidence 

hopefully this summer he can work on his shot, quickness and slimming down a bit

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/22/2023 at 6:55 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

If Verhaeghe can come out of nowhere and drop 42G on a team which barely made the playoffs, Brock can hit some big numbers too. Every year there's a couple of guys who jump ahead in the prime of their careers and take the next step forward. Brock is ready for that.

A lot of how he does will come down to his line-mates, he'll start on our 2nd line with Miller. Hopefully Miller is still good for PPG hockey next year, if he dips then Brock will struggle. There might be a world in which Mikheyev or Kuzmenko lose their spot to Brock on the top line and then look out...Petey will turn him into a machine. I know they haven't had the best chemistry before but Petey is entering the prime of his career - he can turn anyone into a 30-40G scorer.

Verhaege can skate, use his body and drive play.   Boeser cant

• Haha 2

brock is a guy that is hard to lose faith in for me. we know it's there because we've seen it, it's not hypothetical like with some prospect's "potential". he's a sensitive kid who's been through way more in life than any 27 year old should have and expecting nothing but peak performance throughout that is monstrously heartless.

if he can get his head right, and combine that with this new dedication to fitness and effort, the sky is the limit. 

if you go to games this season, cheer for the guy like you did when he was "the flow" and you thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. lose the entitled "what have you done for me lately?" attitude and support this guy that you claim to empathize with, help give him the confidence boost he clearly and has openly stated he needs rather than pushing him in the opposite direction. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm glad he's using a known trainer endorsed by RT. I'm glad he's skipping Da Beauty. 

Yes it sounds like the annual Brock optimism quote but these are actual tangible changes Brock has made for this season in an effort to be better. 

Fool me for the millionth time. I think Brock will put up personal best numbers this year. 

My only hope is that once he achieves this, he signs a hometown discount to offset the millions he was undeservingly paid all these years. 

If he goes for max contract, I think I would end up hating the guy. 

I’ve been pretty optimistic every year about Brock, but it’s also become a very cautious form of optimism. I absolutely believe that, with the right off-season training, a healthy body and mind, and the right opportunities on the ice, we could see “the best version” of Boeser next season. But, given how things have played out over the last several years, I won’t really believe it until I see it. I’m hoping for the best, but also prepared for more of the same.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

We shall see. One could hope it's his conditioning, but if it is then that's a sad state of the type of character and drive he has as a hockey player. 

Would love to see him return back to that rookie mode again though. He was so fun to watch. Just hasn't been the same player at all since his back injury. 

9 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm glad he's using a known trainer endorsed by RT. I'm glad he's skipping Da Beauty. 

Yes it sounds like the annual Brock optimism quote but these are actual tangible changes Brock has made for this season in an effort to be better. 

Fool me for the millionth time. I think Brock will put up personal best numbers this year. 

My only hope is that once he achieves this, he signs a hometown discount to offset the millions he was undeservingly paid all these years. 

If he goes for max contract, I think I would end up hating the guy. 

Does the name “Da Beauty League” make anyone else roll their eyes or cringe?

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’ve been pretty optimistic every year about Brock, but it’s also become a very cautious form of optimism. I absolutely believe that, with the right off-season training, a healthy body and mind, and the right opportunities on the ice, we could see “the best version” of Boeser next season. But, given how things have played out over the last several years, I won’t really believe it until I see it. I’m hoping for the best, but also prepared for more of the same.

I feel the same way. 

There's really no more excuses for not producing. 

On 7/21/2023 at 12:41 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

30 goal Boeser is a mythical creature like 80 point Petr Klima and >20 goal Jim Sandlak.

Or a 25 point LE

But on Boeser, I wish him the best.  It happens to other players finding their game again, so no reason he can't, especially under Tocchet.  I wasn't going to compare him with LE but there is one thing in common. Every season there was/is renewed optimism that this will be the season he will rebound to how he played when he was younger.  No other comparison I can make between them though....I feel dirty now

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2023 at 8:36 AM, stawns said:

I'm pretty tired of seeing BB gifted ice time and opportunity he hasn't earned over guys like Garland who does everything asked of him, and more, and gets shafted on top 6 mins and pp time.  It's ridiculous.

I have zero issues with BB as a person, or even as a depth winger.......my issue is the treatment he is given, by fans and coaching staff and the contract handed yo him by management 

Problem with Garland is, he doesn't have a shot.  It's too weak for PP time on the wing.  The only position for him would be net front presence on the PP, but he's a little too small to play that role.  That's why he doesn't get much PP time.  Not that he hasn't earned it, it's cause he can't fulfill the position properly.  Maybe he should play the bumper, I dunno.

I think I read somewhere that Boeser has the longest running tenure with the team of all current players. That’s weird. In all honesty, I’m still hoping we find a way to trade the guy. Sure, this could be his big breakout season, but I’ve hoped that the past several years. I get he’s had life crises and injuries, but, as perhaps as rude as this sounds, it always seems to be positioning Brock as the victim. Victim of life’s various circumstances. I would have liked to see more compete. More talk from him about not content with the level of compete on this team. More talk about a desire to win the cup. Is he the guy that will do whatever it takes in the post season? I know Petey will. I know Miller will. Even Kuzmenko, yes. Boeser? I’m not sold at all. He needs to be a on a top 6 to be effective. I’m just not so sure it should be our top 6.

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Feel the same way.   Brock had some pretty bad luck on his way to where he is today.   People that obviously hate or dislike the guy,  purposely or deliberately or just didn't watch - don't bring up the great games he had.   Not just scoring goals, but making plays and getting pucks back along the boards, or coming back to make a defensively sound play.   When Brock is on, he's actually very good, not so "one dimensional".    Remember when Miller came in and showed both EP and Brock there was another way to do it?   Dump the puck in and chase putting pressure on the D.    The lotto line was good for awhile.    That said, a lot of games where he's invisible ... so get that side too.   Curiously,  fantasy mags had him 35/35 for two years after his rookie season ... now 25/25 50 points "what you see is what you get"  over 82 games.    Would be great to see Brock come in and make an impact.   He's getting paid to score 30 goals.... 

Edit:   Brock is a prime example why bridge deals are a good idea - and even a better example of how that type of deal did us dirty.   Really he only earned a 5 x 2 deal.    His contract for sure hurts our team. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Feel the same way.   Brock had some pretty bad luck on his way to where he is today.   People that obviously hate or dislike the guy,  purposely or deliberately or just didn't watch - don't bring up the great games he had.   Not just scoring goals, but making plays and getting pucks back along the boards, or coming back to make a defensively sound play.   When Brock is on, he's actually very good, not so "one dimensional".    Remember when Miller came in and showed both EP and Brock there was another way to do it?   Dump the puck in and chase putting pressure on the D.    The lotto line was good for awhile.    That said, a lot of games where he's invisible ... so get that side too.   Curiously,  fantasy mags had him 35/35 for two years after his rookie season ... now 25/25 50 points "what you see is what you get"  over 82 games.    Would be great to see Brock come in and make an impact.   He's getting paid to score 30 goals.... 

Edit:   Brock is a prime example why bridge deals are a good idea - and even a better example of how that type of deal did us dirty.   Really he only earned a 5 x 2 deal.    His contract for sure hurts our team. 

JT a tough guy to use as a comparison.  I'll admit I used to knock the guy but one can't ignore he's playing a far more tougher role (center) than merely a winger.  Especially for a player who was normally a winger.  Heck, he even had to take the responsibilities of the faceoffs for EP in the past.  

As for Brock, first step would be to be healthy enough to play 82 games.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Slegr said:

I think I read somewhere that Boeser has the longest running tenure with the team of all current players. That’s weird. In all honesty, I’m still hoping we find a way to trade the guy. Sure, this could be his big breakout season, but I’ve hoped that the past several years. I get he’s had life crises and injuries, but, as perhaps as rude as this sounds, it always seems to be positioning Brock as the victim. Victim of life’s various circumstances. I would have liked to see more compete. More talk from him about not content with the level of compete on this team. More talk about a desire to win the cup. Is he the guy that will do whatever it takes in the post season? I know Petey will. I know Miller will. Even Kuzmenko, yes. Boeser? I’m not sold at all. He needs to be a on a top 6 to be effective. I’m just not so sure it should be our top 6.

There is no "I" in team.    Mogilny and what those guys went through (Stastny's even more so, actually put their families lives in real danger) and so many other players have gone through what he has and worse.   Wonder if he was getting paid 1-2 million instead, would his tune be different (as in not mailing it in or wanting out of hockey entirely like he more or less said).    Brock is a prime example of paying guys too early, or paying RFAs like UFAs gone wrong.   He held out for top dollar, and actually wanted a lot more then JB was willing to fork out if anyone re-calls that.   In the end they made sure the contract worked for him mostly.   And that's exactly how it worked out.   Allvin was put in an impossible position.    

This might not be popular, or maybe it is, but Brock kind of owes it to the team to make up .... about 40-50 goals over his current deal, ontop of scoring 30/30 a year.    Only then will balance be brought back to the force lol.    Funny thing is, IF he manages 35/35 and putting himself back into the conversation of being a core player ... will anyone even want him gone still?  Doubt it.    For his sake and the teams sake, sure hope he does.    Brock becoming the player we thought he could be, would sure be great.    Not expecting it anymore.    But won't be shocked either.   I've seen him when he's on, and it's pretty darn good. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

JT a tough guy to use as a comparison.  I'll admit I used to knock the guy but one can't ignore he's playing a far more tougher role (center) than merely a winger.  Especially for a player who was normally a winger.  Heck, he even had to take the responsibilities of the faceoffs for EP in the past.  

As for Brock, first step would be to be healthy enough to play 82 games.

Definitely not using JT as a comparison.  Just pointing out that he added an element to both Brock's AND EPs game that was missing or even non-existent before.    Green/JTM brought in the extra physical element, as in dump it into a corner, fast forecheck and make sure they knew where to go.   Before that it wasn't really in either players wheelhouse.   Not that they wouldn't understand this, but by adding it to their toolbox, they both got stronger on the boards.    Brock actually is right up there with the best in the game on the boards but it rarely comes up.   He wins a lot more battles then he loses.   

I remember all the gushing over TT and how "hard he was" to play against "way harder than Brock".    Yikes!   Nope.   TT best ability is to sneak in and find a gap and right at the right time.   Master opportunist.   Nothing wrong with that.   Board battles?   Not really his thing at all.    Was a kitten against Vegas.     Barely noticed on the ice.   Pearson wasn't much better really, and these were the "guys" who supposedly were so hard to play against.   Brock at least would take a pounding to make a hit (believe it was Soucy who smashed him, he saw it coming, but still made the play - red in the face and all).    Brock gets this rep for being soft.   Which I don't disagree on at all.   But he's actually good on the boards - wins more battles then loses.     I wouldn't even call JT that hard to play against.   Yet he's the modern power forward lol.   Not exactly at all like Gary Roberts, Kevin Stevens, Cam Neely,  Shanny, Corson, Muller or even Linden (who could throw monster hits).    The entire league is "softer" now.   

Brock isn't softer than TT from what I saw.   Pearson yes for sure.   Pearson isn't hard to play against either.   He's not Geoff Courtnall.   Or Kesler or Burrows.   It's just a generational thing.   Slowly getting softer with time. 

Edit:   JTM is a great player for todays game and love we have him.    He's not great at anyone one thing, but very good at most of them.   He's no Iginla though, is he.     Brock is no Luc Robataille either.   Still hope he can figure it out.    That shot his rookie year was something.   Shades of Tony Tanti. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Problem with Garland is, he doesn't have a shot.  It's too weak for PP time on the wing.  The only position for him would be net front presence on the PP, but he's a little too small to play that role.  That's why he doesn't get much PP time.  Not that he hasn't earned it, it's cause he can't fulfill the position properly.  Maybe he should play the bumper, I dunno.

For a small player you need to make use of time and space. Garland is always initiating contact and doing spinaramas on the boards. His teammates always seem to have a tough time reading him. I find him very ineffective overall.

I think Garland would be good at logrolling. Maybe he should try that. ::D

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

For a small player you need to make use of time and space. Garland is always initiating contact and doing spinaramas on the boards. His teammates always seem to have a tough time reading him. I find him very ineffective overall.

yep. he's both predictable and unpredictable in all the wrong ways. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

yeah I find him frustrating to watch at times. He's like Ronning without the hockey smarts. During one of his mesmerizing ice capades with the puck in the O zone, he might skate a couple of circles right around the net, deeking out 1, 2, 3, opposition players even, but during that time there are different moments (actually seconds) where a teammate is open for a pass & shot, but he'll keep the puck himself until he finally is pressured to shoot it from a terrible angle, many times right on the goal line.  Fun watching him skate around and make the opposition look foolish, but that's not going to help put the puck in the net.

• Cheers 1