The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Coyotes sign Matt Dumba

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Dumba was also a no show in the bubble.    Meanwhile Myers was bashing everything that moved and getting penalized because he couldn't crouch low enough so there is that too. 

Good points. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Dumba was also a no show in the bubble.    Meanwhile Myers was bashing everything that moved and getting penalized because he couldn't crouch low enough so there is that too. 

Funny enough, Myers had 93 hits this year while Dumba had 104.  Myers blocked more shots (144) than Dumba (116) though.  Both are equally physical, but Myers tends to penalized at a higher clip.

27 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Don’t want Dumba for free why would we give up Garland for him? 

It was tongue in cheek, but I’ll humour you. 

a 1 year expiring 4mill deal that could be dealt at the deadline for a pick but meanwhile adds depth in the RD position in exchange for a 3 year remaining contract at 4.95 per, with no restrictive clauses, in a position where we already have a glut of personnel that we are already trying to accommodate. 

basically Garland for a 3rd round pick is what it might end up as. I’d take that if we’re still going to try and accommodate Hogs, Podz, Pearson, Mik amongst whom we already have 

• Cheers 1

I know Dumba would probably be the better player but I’m happier with Myers going into next year because with Cole and Soucy we actually have some muscle on the back end - possibly on every pairing.

All the “trade Myers once his bonus is paid” talk doesn’t make a ton of sense at this point unless there’s a trade for a d man on the table.  We’re already paper thin on the blue line despite a much more promising top 4. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Funny enough, Myers had 93 hits this year while Dumba had 104.  Myers blocked more shots (144) than Dumba (116) though.  Both are equally physical, but Myers tends to penalized at a higher clip.

You're talking this past year compared to the bubble year playoffs. 

Edited by BarnBurner

5 hours ago, RWJC said:

It was tongue in cheek, but I’ll humour you. 

a 1 year expiring 4mill deal that could be dealt at the deadline for a pick but meanwhile adds depth in the RD position in exchange for a 3 year remaining contract at 4.95 per, with no restrictive clauses, in a position where we already have a glut of personnel that we are already trying to accommodate. 

basically Garland for a 3rd round pick is what it might end up as. I’d take that if we’re still going to try and accommodate Hogs, Podz, Pearson, Mik amongst whom we already have 

I’d rather keep Garland. Beauvillier is the one to move imo

57 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I’d rather keep Garland. Beauvillier is the one to move imo

I agree, but if the intention is to dump salary in anticipation of other future acquisitions/contract extensions, then Garland is a prime candidate for a trade.

Beau has this year left on his deal so both him and Myers combined free up 10.15 mill for next year. If we aren't in playoff contention, both will absolutely be moved.

Trade Garland instead and that number balloons to 15.15 mill of available space. Add Pearson and that's 18.4.  That's a lot of room but I imagine extensions between EP and Horny will chew up 6.5 - 7.5 mill of that, leaving us about 11 - 12 mill to play with. Thats decent but not enough for what we might require, especially when you'll have 11 roster spots to fill out of it!  It doesn't account for LTIR, bur regardless its still actually a bit worrisome, imho.

My big concern is that although this D is improved, it's still not deep enough to survive a couple untimely injuries and that alone could cost us a playoff position this season.  I'm a bit hesitant to count on Hronek being the answer (health wise) to balancing our D until we see how he fares after a good chunk of games early into the season. If we have to play any extended amount of games with our 5+6's being AHL call-ups, we could be in trouble.

I realize that the future is fluid and there will be opportunities to fill/solidify as the season progresses, but we always seem to jeopardize our chances early on. Having another vet Dman who has proven they belong at the NHL level in some constant capacity is great insurance, especially if it adds to freeing up the space we'll need going into the next 3 seasons. As it stands, the way we are proceeding I think there's a lot of hope that our young players will step up and in this season. Yes we need room to facilitate that. But our primary concern right now should be extending two major pieces in EP and Horny and that involves icing a competitive team. If that's the case, it's going to be adamant that we either support the roster with experience while trying to find a way to mine production from cheaper contracts or at least have a surplus of them that we can depend on. Again, still a little murky in those areas.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Edited by RWJC

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

And we couldn’t trade Myers with 2 mil retained??

I still think Myers is fairly likely to be traded after his $5 million bonus is paid on Sept. 15. I agree there are not many potential targets left. But the Canucks could, say, retain 25%, which would mean that the acquiring team would use up 4.5 million in cap space but pay only 750K in real money -- not a bad deal for Myers.  It might not happen and I would not mind keeping Myers as a 3rd pairing D except that the Cap is going to be an issue if and when Pearson is healthy enough to play.  Trading Myers is better than the other workarounds.

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Who is playing in his place?   Personally feel Myers hurt us most on the Pk and having to face the leagues best night in, night out, now with 3 different coaches who didn't have any other options.   Other than Luke Schenn, but Myers was used primarily as a defensive guy.   Leads to gaffes.   Led to gaffes with Edler too when he was the main guy on the left side and Hutton up next too.   

Might be expensive for a 3rd pairing guy, but if he was on the market, with who's left ... who would you pick to do that job? 

Edit;  If the goal is the playoffs,  and we make it, don't think we'd be too upset or sad to have Myers.    Ideally Soucy and Myers would be our third pairing, that's a solid one.   Smashing the bits out of forwards every time they enter our zone, Myers gets meaner when he's allowed too.   Saw this in WNP during their runs as well.   He's a better post season player, than he is a regular season one, so is Soucy. 

Reasonable point of view. I would argue that Myers' biggest negative for the Canucks was on the PK. He played a lot minutes and played them poorly. According to Evolving Hockey's GAR stat on the PK he was the worst D on the team and it was not close. That is consistent with other advanced stats I have seen (and with not-so-advanced stats as well, not to mention just the eye test). For some reason the coaches just kept sending him in as the "first guy over the boards" at RD on PK. 

With Cole, Soucy, Hronek, and Irwin all on board, Myers should get much less PK time so he will hurt the team less. 

I agree that he would be okay as a 3rd pairing RD playing limited minutes.

Not a great return for a cap hit of 6 million, but he probably would be better than the alternative in that spot, at least for now.

But if the Canucks trade Myers, the could re-sign Bear, which would certainly help the team. 

• Vintage 2