The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller wants to join a contender; possible new connection to Canucks?

TheRussianRocket.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-rumours-roundup-latest-hearsay-from-around-the-national-hockey-league/

May 21. Now that it's official that the Ryan Miller era in St. Louis is over, speculation has begun swirling as to where the most valuable free agent on the goaltending market will land.

Mike Liut, Miller's agent, spoke with News 1130 Wednesday and said that Miller will target a Stanley Cup contender, which only further cements the Anaheim Ducks as a strong candidate here.

Miller's wife, Noureen DeWulf, is an actress who probably wouldn't mind a move to California, and the L.A. Kings are set in net.

All signs point to Anaheim letting pending UFA Jonas Hiller drift to the open market. Although Frederik Andersen (age 24) and John Gibson (20) are both talented, they're young. Bringing in a pricy but proven veteran in Miller could be the way to go, and it doesn't hurt that Miller's value likley dipped with his 2014 playoff performance.

Many believe the San Jose Sharks to be a possibility, which makes a ton of sense with Antti Niemi's status as a sure No. 1 in question. (Niemi is signed through 2014-15 with a $3.8 million cap hit.) But Sharks beat writer David Pollak is doubtful that Miller is on the Sharks' radar.

"Ill agree that he might be if the Sharks were in their usual mode, looking for that one last puzzle piece to get them over the hump," Pollak writes. "But Wilson has said that is not where the team is this off-season. That this is the year the Sharks may have to take one step back to eventually move two steps forward. And hard to see their interest in Miller (or his interest in them as far as that goes) because of that."

What other contenders need a goalie? Pittsburgh, perhaps, if the Penguins' new GM decides to move Marc-Andre Fleury.

And Liut won't rule out the Vancouver Canucks, considering expected new GM Jim Benning has ties to Miller.

Benning was the director of amateur scouting for the Buffalo Sabres when the team selected Miller in the fifth round of the 1999 entry draft.

Liut is also eager to speak with Benning about David Booth's future as a Canuck. The forward has been the subject of buyout rumours:

This Benning signing opened up a whole new dimension. At first my thought is no way, stay the heck away from Miller but then you think: if Trotz is signed and Benning gives enough options to be competitive, would it be worth it to sign Miller to a 1-2 year deal at $3-$5 mill range?

Remember JB is the guy who drafted Miller too so there sure can be a possibility. And it'd give a couple more years for Lack to fully develop instead of rushing him into the starter role and maybe doing more harm than good as he looked shaky after the trade deadline.

Seems Ducks are the team Miller wants to go too but there's a back door possibility he may land in Vancouver dependant on if Benning believes the team can compete at a playoff level. Me personally, I wouldn't mind if most the core stays here for a year or two more. If they do, why not bring him in? Wouldn't make much sense if you think about it having the core remain and a uncertain tender. Idk, but nonetheless this is just a speculation/report.

Wasn't the plan to rebuild?

I don't know why Miller would want to come here right now if he wants to go to a contender.

You never know though. I wouldn't mind a veteran in front of Lack or Markstrom, and then trade one of the two for more young talent.

Miller is trying to parlay his season into a fairly significant contract, despite being very ordinary in the playoffs.

Lack's numbers were better than Miller's in StL. So why not just stick with Lack and spend money on alternate improvements.

Miller should just stay in StL. Afterall, we waived to go there.

"Miller wants to join a contender." I know, how about he signs with a team that clearly won't be contending against Chicago, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Colorado, and Minnesota for the next 5 years?

Lack and Markstrom are our guys going forward. Anyway goaltending isn't the problem for us, contender or not...

I wouldn't be so sure about keeping both. Especially with Eriksson developing very nicely in the minors.

If we can get a significant piece for one of them, it would have to be considered.

If this is a full on rebuild, a franchise goalie will need to be drafted at some point in the future.

I don't know why Miller would want to come here right now if he wants to go to a contender.

You never know though. I wouldn't mind a veteran in front of Lack or Markstrom, and then trade one of the two for more young talent.

No, Linden said he wants this team playoff ready as early as next year.

I must have missed something here? The last time that I checked, Vancouver is drafting 6th overall because they are not even close to being a contender. A patchwork quick fix is not going to change that. We need a group of guys to mature as a team and all be at the top of their prime together to be considered a contender....that means getting younger and drafting better...with some multiple top 10 picks in a good draft class like 2015. Then it will take them 2-3 years at the earliest to become NHL ready players.

If we try and rush players or fall into using cap to sign overage overpaid UFA's, we will remain a mid tier team. We are going to have to accept the pain to get better....and that requires a patient fanbase and a smart GM and coaching staff.

I wouldn't be so sure about keeping both. Especially with Eriksson developing very nicely in the minors.

If we can get a significant piece for one of them, it would have to be considered.

If this is a full on rebuild, a franchise goalie will need to be drafted at some point in the future.

Lack and Markstrom have little trade value. Why would you trade young goalies anyway?? I'm pretty sure management is hoping Lack, Markstrom or Eriksson turn into that franchise goalie. Eriksson needs at least another year in the minors before he can even be considered an nhl goalie though imo.

Were fine with Lack. No need to cough up 5-6 million for Miller. Who choked in the playoffs btw..

Lack and Markstrom have little trade value. Why would you trade young goalies anyway?? I'm pretty sure management is hoping Lack, Markstrom or Eriksson turn into that franchise goalie. Eriksson needs at least another year in the minors before he can even be considered an nhl goalie though imo.

Were fine with Lack. No need to cough up 5-6 million for Miller. Who choked in the playoffs btw..

There are questions of whether Lack is ready to be the clear cut starter though. He was not the same goalie after Luongo left.

Having a mentor for him for a year wouldn't be the worst thing for his development.

Lack would certainly have value in a package deal, as we've seen with other goalies with similar experience. Not saying I want to trade him, but if a team like Winnipeg were somehow interested in him as part of a package for Kane, it would have to be considered.

No I don't think it was.

I haven't heard TL or anyone say we are rebuilding, its just speculation. I bet our brass is gunning for the playoffs again next season.

Which is fine by me. Though I'm not really in favour of bringing Miller in, he's a good goalie, but Lack is more than capable & I don't see the point at this stage in giving out a contract like we will have to for a goaltending like him, at his age.

Being a playoff team next season is being optimistic unless we make some big changes.

Squeaking into the playoffs, sure. But actually doing something when we get there is another story.

Too many moves need to be made to realistically expect it to happen in one season. Therefore preparing our young players should be the number 1 goal next season. That includes making sure Lack isn't being thrown into the fire too soon.

Miller likely isn't the right fit here, but I think a veteran goalie could be very helpful for Lack.

Archived