The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three coaches now have given Kassian short looks at top-six minutes, what gives?

TheRussianRocket.

Kassian can't do anything wrong no matter what on here, he's a god in everyones eyes, even when he plays bad he still deserves top 6 minutes :picard: . Oh but that's ok it's all about advanced stats anyways, so who cares if he hustles or plays hard, or if he is ever consistent game to go. All that matters according to some people on here is advanced stats, and that then makes him some superstar. Good luck on that.

yes clearly having strong/decent advanced stats means nothing...wow

Yeah, I guess so, but he proved to be plenty consistent and capable last year after the Olympic break to me. He was making Matthias and Richie look great, and now he starts again on the third/fourth lines.

He was injured in the pre-season and has been a step behind the rest of the guys. He started on the 4th and has moved up to the 3rd. We're only 4 games into the season. He had a slow start last year as well. If he continues to improve, he will get more chances.

Have some patience, man.

Going to take a risk and add some controversial insight I've had about Kassian.

I worry about Kassian, at a professional level and as a human. Call it intuition or call it speculation, but from the first interview I saw of him, my spidey senses were tingling. He's like a pit bull: loyal, passionate, aggressively protective and a bit misunderstood. As a hockey player, I find him to be very competent. He has all the skills necessary to do great things and, given the right environment and direction, he could really flourish. As a team member, he's what some people would call a 'heart and soul' kind of guy. There are certain types of guys who, when given the right kind of leadership and direction, will put everything they've got on the line to accomplish. His highs are very high, his lows are very low and he can ride waves of momentum and confidence or get derailed and spiral out of control.

But there's more to it than that and it's on a topic that most sports fans would rather not talk about. There are aspects of his personality that are very remniscient of Rypien... and taking a risk of saying so, of myself. Not everyone catches the red flags unless they've witnessed it or experienced it for themselves, but Kassian's issues with motivation, discipline and injuries may have much deeper roots. I may not be a hockey player, but after living with depression for all my life, I've learned to spot the telltale signs and most people who have it or see it are in denial about how pervasive it really is in society. Injuries and drug abuse are common among people with depression because what we really crave is pain relief. What most don't realize is that psychological pain is worse than physical pain and can lead to physical injuries because unconsciously we want a reprieve from the burden of high expectations and the suffering that comes from failing to meet them. You'll see people with depression take on risky behavior for that reason because high risk is often high reward. When Kassian went down with injuries in the preseason, my first reaction was that something was odd and I think the coaching staff picked up on that too. Uncertainty is the worst thing for someone who already questions where they fit in and I've gone through many times in my life where I had many 'accidents' on the job because when you tell people you're suffering mentally and emotionally, people look down on you and tell you to 'suck it up'. But when get hurt in the line of duty, everyone praises you as a 'heart and soul' kind of guy who is willing to sacrifice his body for the benefit of others.

These are not excuses, they are just insights. I don't think it's just Kassian either, many of the injury-prone players who carry this same burden. It doesn't have to spell the end of a person's career though, it just requires a different approach. Like I said, Kassian is more than competent but what he needs most is a defined role that he can consistently execute. Secondly, we need to stop praising him for his 'snarl' and expecting more of that; that's practically pushing him into Rypien's situation. Hearing him talk in interviews, I can tell that he's not Chris Pronger, he's actually quite a nice guy. He gets his snarl because from the first interview we ever had of him, we were telling him we expected him to be an aggressive protector and a deterent; the same way ignorant owners adopt pit bulls. Another thing about depression most people don't realize is that it often manifests in anger and aggression. I'd bet real world money that as a young hockey player it came out and his coaches praised him for it. The problem with that is that it can also work backwards and depression can also manifest from aggressive behavior because the longer a person engages in that kind of behavior, the stronger the connection between the two states are in the brain.

Some final thoughts: The old hockey mentality and the new age of information have some strong contradictions. I know why it's not popular to talk about these things because it adds a layer of responsibility to the fans and media that we've got used to not having for decades. But if we're really "all Canucks", then we also need to accept that we win together, lose together, celebrate together and persevere together.

Thanks everyone for letting me share this.

He's a right handed shot. He needs to work on simplifying his game. How about we address a need and convert him to a right handed, puck moving D-man?

He's got the shot, he's got the passing skills. He's got the size. He'll learn defence and we can always convert him back to a forward.

Yes?

No?

I think part of the perceived slow development issue is they just haven't found a complimentary player to play with him. Had he been able to play with someone last year who could actually score, he would have hit the 50 point mark easily and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Play him with a very responsible center, and a sniping winger and we'll see this kid turn into something terrifying for other teams...

Zach's points production is in line with that of Richardson,Matthias and Hansen.

You would like management to build the team around a player that has been plagued with inconsistency and indifference on a professional level.

He will never 'turn' into anything as he is what he is-a gifted young man that can be a much better player than what he has shown IF he applies himself while maturing personally and professionally.

The "terrifying" part is pain,as in painfully watching him grow older without 'getting it' as of yet.

tradehisars.

hespainfulltowatch.

ratherhavejenseninthelineup.

I guess you're basing this off of Kassian's 4 games this year so far?

Kassian: 4 NHL GP: 1 goal, 1 point

Jensen: 4 AHL GP: 0 points

Also, why so much Kassian hate already? What has he done? I thought he looked OK so far, and aside from the top line no one has looked spectacular.

I guess you're basing this off of Kassian's 4 games this year so far?

Kassian: 4 NHL GP: 1 goal, 1 point

Jensen: 4 AHL GP: 0 points

Also, why so much Kassian hate already? What has he done? I thought he looked OK so far, and aside from the top line no one has looked spectacular.

To me points are less important then effort and game play shift to shift. If Jensen is out there playing hard, getting great shots and chances but not getting a goal is that not as good as kass looking lost and disinterested but getting a goal? I wanna see ball busting effort from the kid the pressure is on time to show your stuff, and again if he plays 10 fantastic games in a row but goes pointless I'd pick that over a few points but a lack luster effort. Just me?

To me points are less important then effort and game play shift to shift. If Jensen is out there playing hard, getting great shots and chances but not getting a goal is that not as good as kass looking lost and disinterested but getting a goal? I wanna see ball busting effort from the kid the pressure is on time to show your stuff, and again if he plays 10 fantastic games in a row but goes pointless I'd pick that over a few points but a lack luster effort. Just me?

I mostly agree with you, and since I haven't seen Jensen play on Utica I can't really make the call one way or the other. Still, my original point was towards 70seven who was probably just trolling. The 4 games that both players have played so far is far too small a sample to be calling for either's head. I just don't personally think Kassian has played bad enough to deserve this much hate.

Aquiace, your post was well written, a breath of fresh air around these parts. You also refer to suffering from a similiar affliction yourself- let the lessons learned from RR guide you and continue getting the help you need. As for Kass, I hope your intuition is wrong but I do think you are right about his character- he isn't and he's not going to be the big bad mother that everybody wishes he would be. And honestly, I don't think Canucks fans or the coaching staff want him to drop the gloves every night but it is almost criminal that a guy with that kind of size and skating ability can't even throw a decent body check once in a while.

This team won't succeed without Zak on the top line. The twins will be checked into the ground as they have always been played in the playoffs. The second line has been very in effective. Bonino should be on the 4th line instead.

Archived