The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

8 hours ago, Darius said:

dude, you seem to be the king of knee jerk reactions around here.

Boeser has played 13 less games and still is ahead in points.  not only that Boeser has played 93 less games and only has 14 less points in their careers.

Konecny gets sheltered behind Philly's top players, Boeser has been the focal point of the other team's defensive efforts for about 2 seasons now - and yet he still produces at a better rate.

If you want to cough up a 6 foot 1 210lb 30 goal scoring winger for a 175lb center who doesnt produce as much just because of a 2 week lull fill your imaginary boots, im just glad you arent managing the team.

Amen!!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Boeser is clearly not in top physical shape. If he is going to be a top tier player he needs to take this summer very seriously. Like Hutton last year! He is not as fast as he was in November. Could be injuries, and I am not worried (YET). Call Gary Roberts!

13 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Boeser is clearly not in top physical shape. If he is going to be a top tier player he needs to take this summer very seriously. Like Hutton last year! He is not as fast as he was in November. Could be injuries, and I am not worried (YET). Call Gary Roberts!

Before the season even started I expected Boeser to have a down year. He essentially had no training camp coming off not only that serious back injury but wrist surgery. It's no surprise his shot has been off (kesler looked quite similar after he had wrist surgery and didnt practice his shot in the offseason)

This should work out to benefit the canucks in terms of the kind of contract they can sign him to. I'm not worried at all with him in the future, if he can stay healthy and have a proper offseason, expect boeser to score 35-40goals next year. Quote me on it. 

• Like 2

This was never a season Canucks were going to do damage anyhow, Boeser having a down year in a contract year is a blessing in disguise for us.

Horvats contract is actually more of a comparable than what we initially thought, going into this season.

Edited by Whorvat
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Whorvat said:

This was never a season Canucks were going to do damage anyhow, Boeser having a down year in a contract year is a blessing in disguise for us.

Horvats contract is actually more of a comparable than what we initially thought, going into this season.

It is suddenly looking like bridge contract territory.  Just have to make sure he still has a year or two of RFA when it expires.

It sure would be nice to get him under contract for $6 million or less, and then have him bounce back once we have another scorer or two to take all the focus off of him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/4/2019 at 1:21 PM, FaninMex said:

Trade Sutter? One of the many reasons we are losing is because Sutter is out. Horvat has to take D draws which limits us to one O line, Pettersson is getting tired. When Sutter and Beagle cover the backend, Horvat and Pettersson can roll the O zone.

Sutter is awful, hes been terrible the last 2 seasons. Newsflash! We've been losing even with Sutter in the lineup. He does absolutely nothing. Hes not the 1st, 2nd  and sometimes hes not even the 3rd best faceoff man in the team on many nights hes actually playing. The only thing  Sutter has been good for is either an empty stomach in the pressbox or keeping the medical staff entertained.

Just now, canuckistani said:

1. wrist surgery

2. back injury

3. DREADED SOPHOMORE SLUMP (largely militagated)

At this point, i'd say he should be locked up with something like 8yrsx6M deal. Deal will pay itself in 1-2 years from now.

I'm in a similar boat, though I'd prefer 6 years to 8. I had him pegged at $6.5M-$7.5M per year, but his recent more mediocre play has made me adjust to $6M-$7M for his next deal, assuming it's a long-term deal.

Just now, -AJ- said:

I'm in a similar boat, though I'd prefer 6 years to 8. I had him pegged at $6.5M-$7.5M per year, but his recent more mediocre play has made me adjust to $6M-$7M for his next deal, assuming it's a long-term deal.

for home-grown talent, i am of the opinion that any deal that is not a bridge deal of 3-4 years (which also keeps RFA status after deal expires), should automatically be 8 year offering. Like, i am curious - why would you prefer signing him for 6 years instead of 8 ? If he busts in the next year or two, it would matter not a jot to his tradability ( or us buying him out etc) if he has 4 years as opposed to 6 years left on his contract. On the other hand, if he doesn't bust, given inflation of the league cap, an 8 year deal is auto-win over a six year one...

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

for home-grown talent, i am of the opinion that any deal that is not a bridge deal of 3-4 years (which also keeps RFA status after deal expires), should automatically be 8 year offering. Like, i am curious - why would you prefer signing him for 6 years instead of 8 ? If he busts in the next year or two, it would matter not a jot to his tradability ( or us buying him out etc) if he has 4 years as opposed to 6 years left on his contract. On the other hand, if he doesn't bust, given inflation of the league cap, an 8 year deal is auto-win over a six year one...

Less flexibility with an 8-year deal and also possibly cheaper with a 6-year deal since it wouldn't buy any RFA years (or maybe only one, I haven't counted).

5 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Sutter is awful, hes been terrible the last 2 seasons. Newsflash! We've been losing even with Sutter in the lineup. He does absolutely nothing. Hes not the 1st, 2nd  and sometimes hes not even the 3rd best faceoff man in the team on many nights hes actually playing. The only thing  Sutter has been good for is either an empty stomach in the pressbox or keeping the medical staff entertained.

Replace him with who? 8-10 minute Gaudette will not do over the course of a year.

Sutter wins faceoffs in the D zone and is trusted by Green in the D zone. This allows Horvat to play more in the O zone. This allows Pettersson to play with more energy. In chess even pawns have a place. Sutter has a place that fills the needs now. When Gaudette is ready replace Sutter but not before.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Less flexibility with an 8-year deal and also possibly cheaper with a 6-year deal since it wouldn't buy any RFA years (or maybe only one, I haven't counted).

I get what you are saying and i'd agree if the price goes up for the UFA years being bought. Brock just turned 22, he has to be 27 or younger to still be RFA before start of the season concerned, so at this point, a bridge deal would be no longer than 4 years if we don't wanna risk losing him to UFA status. 

On the other hand, for the same price, an 8 year deal is always gonna be more value than a 6 year deal - because we are buying more UFA years and its inflation-adjusted, its cheaper in the new NHL cap 2 years down the road ( from the 6 year one). 

On 3/7/2019 at 12:29 AM, FaninMex said:

Replace him with who? 8-10 minute Gaudette will not do over the course of a year.

Sutter wins faceoffs in the D zone and is trusted by Green in the D zone. This allows Horvat to play more in the O zone. This allows Pettersson to play with more energy. In chess even pawns have a place. Sutter has a place that fills the needs now. When Gaudette is ready replace Sutter but not before.

I'd rather have a player that plays 8-10 minutes a game than a guy whos in the injury ward for basically half to 2 thirds of the season. Sutter wins faceoffs blah blah blah who cares, its a moot point if he can't stay on the ice. Gaudettes progressing fine, and he's probably shown more this season than Brandon Sutter has. You heard of Jay Beagle? He wins faceoffs in the D-zone just fine. Chess analogy? A missing pawn in a chess piece, isn't very useful

• Upvote 1

Boeser and Petty are the Canucks big threat offensively and on the power play.  However, the other teams have figured this out and pressure them off the puck time and time again.  The other players they play with are not good enough nor a threat so the other teams don't concentrate on them as much.  The team needs some other deadly threats on the power play to even up the attention that is given.  Until the Canucks management go after a top notch threat these two guys, try as hard as they do every night will only have limited success.  

2 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

Boeser and Petty are the Canucks big threat offensively and on the power play.  However, the other teams have figured this out and pressure them off the puck time and time again.  The other players they play with are not good enough nor a threat so the other teams don't concentrate on them as much.  The team needs some other deadly threats on the power play to even up the attention that is given.  Until the Canucks management go after a top notch threat these two guys, try as hard as they do every night will only have limited success.  

Well one guy, coming soon, should help ;) 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Juolevi at some point next year should help some more as well.

• Like 1