The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

He has a good shot and some offensive upside and that's why he got all those powerplay points. 

I'd say it's time to sell high on him, he's had almost 2 seasons on the roster without establishing himself.

Edited by J-P

He looks very clumsy with the puck I noticed all year long and got further exemplified in the playoffs when small things matter.

He has great energy and tenacity, but he doesn't seem to always read the play well and over commits himself in all 3 zones.  Despite improving his faceoff capabilities, I don't see him being a centre at this level.  He is a good hybrid winger who can take a few draws here and there like Markus Gralund did, but his main bread and butter is generating speed off the wing and looking for a shot/forecheck.

Obviously resign him, but if you can sell high and get a more well fitting 3rd line centre, do it.  I don't see him being much more than a bottom six energy player - almost the same mold of Antoine Roussel's role minus being an agitator. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Upvote 1

On 9/5/2020 at 8:07 AM, J-P said:

He has a good shot and some offensive upside and that's why he got all those powerplay points. 

I'd say it's time to sell high on him, he's had almost 2 seasons on the roster without establishing himself.

That would depend on the offers. And he certainly has time to improve still, but I would be listening, even as a part of a package deal.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:58 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He looks very clumsy with the puck I noticed all year long and got further exemplified in the playoffs when small things matter.

He has great energy and tenacity, but he doesn't seem to always read the play well and over commits himself in all 3 zones.  Despite improving his faceoff capabilities, I don't see him being a centre at this level.  He is a good hybrid winger who can take a few draws here and there like Markus Gralund did, but his main bread and butter is generating speed off the wing and looking for a shot/forecheck.

Obviously resign him, but if you can sell high and get a more well fitting 3rd line centre, do it.  I don't see him being much more than a bottom six energy player - almost the same mold of Antoine Roussel's role minus being an agitator. 

I was thinking the same thing.

Simplifying his game and taking a lot of pressure off could be the way to go.

The problem is, we have an embarrassment of wealth on the wings.

Unfortunately, either way Gaud seems to lack the sandpaper game I like on the third line. It's a tough thing to say,but he could be one of the expendables.

I've been mentioning in other posts about acquiring somebody like Domi.

Plays a much more abrasive game and would slot nicely into the 3C position.

5 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Simplifying his game and taking a lot of pressure off could be the way to go.

The problem is, we have an embarrassment of wealth on the wings.

Unfortunately, either way Gaud seems to lack the sandpaper game I like on the third line. It's a tough thing to say,but he could be one of the expendables.

I've been mentioning in other posts about acquiring somebody like Domi.

Plays a much more abrasive game and would slot nicely into the 3C position.

Friedman thinks Domi could accept to sign at 5.5 - 5.75M for 1 year but won't sign at that price long term.  He certainly does not see himself as a 3rd liner.  He is 2 years to free agency and has now Darren Ferris as agent.  He has had several of his clients hold out.  

Domi wants to play C and is better at C per Julien.  With Horvat and Pettersson and his arbitration rights/UFA status in 2 years, trading for Domi doesn't seem worthwhile.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2

On 9/8/2020 at 8:48 PM, elvis15 said:

That would depend on the offers. And he certainly has time to improve still, but I would be listening, even as a part of a package deal.

He just doesn’t seem to be developing as rapidly as I assumed he would. I really thought he had a chance to be a star....I’m beginning to lose faith…Pity.

1 hour ago, Mad Jon said:

With all due respect.....He’s not a kid. 

Your point? You guys need to get over your post elimination blues thinking everyone needs to be moved out. Hockey Gaud isn’t going anywhere unless another team over pays for him. If he continues his projection, he will have a Burrows-esque effect for this team.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

I can see him being packaged with Jake to get some draft picks. I wouldn't be surprised to see them both sent to Ottawa from like a 2nd and 3rd rounder. 

I'm not sure Benning is after draft picks, but more to shed some salary. Jake or Adam might be added to a Sutter trade though. 

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

Your point? You guys need to get over your post elimination blues thinking everyone needs to be moved out. Hockey Gaud isn’t going anywhere unless another team over pays for him. If he continues his projection, he will have a Burrows-esque effect for this team.

Your point? I don’t have a post elimination blues. I like Adam. Burrows -esque ? That’s ambitious. I hope so. Hockey Gaud …Well that gives you away. That was a college boy…Not what we’re seeing at the moment.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Lol you folks are embarrassing! This kid improves every single year. Until he ceases to do so, no way should we move him (unless offered a RD that we can’t refuse of course).

Acknowledging that a player may not have the desired skillset for a certain position and not waiting until he "ceases to do so" which could minimize his value is not embarassing, it's being realistic.

• Vintage 1

23 hours ago, Mad Jon said:

Your point? I don’t have a post elimination blues. I like Adam. Burrows -esque ? That’s ambitious. I hope so. Hockey Gaud …Well that gives you away. That was a college boy…Not what we’re seeing at the moment.

That’s gives me away? That’s his media handle smart guy.

23 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Acknowledging that a player may not have the desired skillset for a certain position and not waiting until he "ceases to do so" which could minimize his value is not embarassing, it's being realistic.

Many people are making comments on him not being a “star” yet, or not “solidifying” his 3c role. That isn’t being realistic, that’s being impatient. 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Many people are making comments on him not being a “star” yet, or not “solidifying” his 3c role. That isn’t being realistic, that’s being impatient. 

Not to single tou out because I dont know your stance on the matter, but I find the gaudette patience funny.

Gaudette and virtanen were born like 9 months apart or something. The general consensus is gaudette is developing. He needs time. Virtanen (who would have had 40 pts this season) is supposedly a lost cause and trade bait.

Personally, without looking at cap ramifications, I'd rather package gaudette to rid a cap dump than virtanen.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Not to single tou out because I dont know your stance on the matter, but I find the gaudette patience funny.

Gaudette and virtanen were born like 9 months apart or something. The general consensus is gaudette is developing. He needs time. Virtanen (who would have had 40 pts this season) is supposedly a lost cause and trade bait.

Personally, without looking at cap ramifications, I'd rather package gaudette to rid a cap dump than virtanen.

I believe it has more to do with JV having had 5 pro seasons and not seeing a huge progression in his game. Whereas, AG was in his second pro year this year and more than doubled his production from 12 pts to 33 pts, along with increasing his role and ice time. AG just seems to have a better attitude generally, more energy on the ice, smarter and seems more coachable. Yes, he still has a lot of holes in his game, but he has consistently improved his game every year as a player (going back into his college years). JV, on the other hand, has seen a good amount of stagnation and regression. fwiw

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think Gaudette holds more value than Jake as he is a young center who works hard and has good ability to put up offense in a limited role playing 3rd line minutes. As mentioned above, he really took a big step in his 2nd pro season with the big boys. I think if we are looking to move out money, he might need to be packaged with someone like Rousell or Sutter, if teams push for him instead of Jake.

I hope this doesn't happen as having 3 strong centers would be a huge asset down the road and working with Manny, his defensive game and face off percentages should improve steadily over the next few seasons. For that reason, I hope we can hang onto him despite our cap and the work JB will have to do the next few years to shed salary and cut the fat (Erickson, Baertschi, Sutter, Rousell).