The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Christopher Tanev | #8 | D

-SN-

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seriously, who are these medical people watching out for the players?  Let’s let Tanev displace his fracture, and let’s just drag a guy with a broken back.  

Kevin Bieksa, D, Anaheim Ducks: "You want to hear broken bones and stuff like that, right? I think the thing is, a lot of people have micro fractures in their feet and hands, and a lot of times it doesn't show up right away on X-rays. I know I have. I know [Ryan Kesler] has. We've played through broken bones on our feet before. It doesn't show up right away. After you're in pain for a week or two, you realize this thing isn't getting better, so you get a CAT scan. Sometimes it just doesn't show up. Things like that are hard to play with."

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Kevin Bieksa, D, Anaheim Ducks: "You want to hear broken bones and stuff like that, right? I think the thing is, a lot of people have micro fractures in their feet and hands, and a lot of times it doesn't show up right away on X-rays. I know I have. I know [Ryan Kesler] has. We've played through broken bones on our feet before. It doesn't show up right away. After you're in pain for a week or two, you realize this thing isn't getting better, so you get a CAT scan. Sometimes it just doesn't show up. Things like that are hard to play with."

Isn’t Bieksa talking about chronic kinds of issues, like stress fractures?  The Tanev and Boeser injuries were acute.  Bad job by our medical staff in both circumstances IMHAO.  Things worked out okay in both situations, but what about the next time, and the time after that?

This isn’t, or shouldn’t be, the KHL.

Edited by Alflives

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t Bieksa talking about chronic kinds of issues, like stress fractures?  The Tanev and Boeser injuries were acute.  Bad job by our medical staff in both circumstances IMHAO.  Things worked out okay in both situations, but what about the next time, and the time after that?

This isn’t, or shouldn’t be, the KHL.

NHL players are renowned for playing through pain and broken bones all the time. They just will not let their teammates down and will tell doctors and trainers they are okay to continue playing.

I broke my tibia straight through,” Bonino said after the Penguins defeated the Nashville Predators 2-0 on Sunday night to clinch their second consecutive Stanley Cup championship. “We shot it up right when it happened and I was able to finish on it with some adrenaline. (Then) I just couldn’t do it.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2017/06/penguins-nick-bonino-played-through-broken-leg-in-stanley-cup-final/

Bergeron fought Evgeni Malkin in the Eastern Conference Final and his health declined steadily from there. He played with broken ribs, torn cartilage, a separated shoulder, and a slowly collapsing lung. In that same playoffs, Evgeni Malkin broke Gregory Campbell’s leg with a slapshot and Campbell was deemed ‘a true hockey player’ for finishing his shift.

And of course there was your old buddy, Bobby Baun, scoring his famous overtime goal after breaking his ankle earlier in the game.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

NHL players are renowned for playing through pain and broken bones all the time. They just will not let their teammates down and will tell doctors and trainers they are okay to continue playing.

I broke my tibia straight through,” Bonino said after the Penguins defeated the Nashville Predators 2-0 on Sunday night to clinch their second consecutive Stanley Cup championship. “We shot it up right when it happened and I was able to finish on it with some adrenaline. (Then) I just couldn’t do it.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2017/06/penguins-nick-bonino-played-through-broken-leg-in-stanley-cup-final/

Bergeron fought Evgeni Malkin in the Eastern Conference Final and his health declined steadily from there. He played with broken ribs, torn cartilage, a separated shoulder, and a slowly collapsing lung. In that same playoffs, Evgeni Malkin broke Gregory Campbell’s leg with a slapshot and Campbell was deemed ‘a true hockey player’ for finishing his shift.

And of course there was your old buddy, Bobby Baun, scoring his famous overtime goal after breaking his ankle earlier in the game.

I know the players are crazy tough.  I remember The Big E almost bled to death from a ruptured spleen, after he kept playing.  I guess the medical staff can’t do a lot if the players keep saying it’s not too bad.  

I did like Baun:)

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2016 at 8:20 PM, Fakename70 said:

Sorry, but, I still don't see the guy as a legitimate top-pairing or even top-4 defenceman at all. Wouldn't be heartbroken if he were the centerpiece to acquire Hamonic. 

Couldn't agree more,I brought this up during the season and got dog piled by Tanev lovers. told I need to learn about hockey and all sorts.

3 hours ago, panelguy said:

Couldn't agree more,I brought this up during the season and got dog piled by Tanev lovers. told I need to learn about hockey and all sorts.

Tanev is a regular season top 4 d-man. My issue is playoff hockey and how well he would stand up to the amped physical play. His injury history is a worry IMHO. I doubt his trade value will ever be higher than maybe 2 years ago. That said if he brought back a 1st Rdr + I would hope Benning would take it. The "+" should be a NHL ready prospect. 

:huh: Tanev is fine!

A very useful player when healthy. Closes out oncoming rushes. Shot suppression. Gets to, and clears pucks. Good vision and decision making in fact? Blocks Shots. Maintains position, does not get deked...

But I always wondered why the vision and composure never added much to offensive instincts?  

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

:huh: Tanev is fine!

A very useful player when healthy. Closes out oncoming rushes. Shot suppression. Gets to, and clears pucks. Good vision and decision making in fact? Blocks Shots. Maintains position, does not get deked...

But I always wondered why the vision and composure never added much to offensive instincts?  

He's always injured, though. I get WHY he's that, but, surely nothing good can come from having the guy still on the roster the closer he gets to 30 if he's missing a substantial amount of games because he's physically unable to play. We've seen what he can do but ultimately his game leaves me wanting to see someone else who can chip in on offence as well. Isn't that what the best teams in the league have? Isn't that what the Canucks had when they were among the leagues' elite at the beginning of the decade? Chris Tanev has reached his ceiling. Do CDC'rs really have the stomach to spend the next half decade waiting for him - at age 31 - to FINALLY maximise his potential and put it all together? Haven't you had enough of that with Edler?