The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

The only critique I have of the OJ gif is how he stops skating and let's the play unfold ahead of him to the point where he barely reacts before the puck is in the net. 

Please refrain from flaming when I say this again, as I've said it months and months ago in here, but this is my small concern with him: he seems to have brain farts or something on plays where he gets beat, and he seems to just give up on those plays. This is where I think he needs to play with a heightened sense of urgency, similar to Tanev. 

But he's young and developing and will simply need more time to grow his skills and confidence. He'll be fine. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Just to balance the bozone layer developing in this thread:

He is getting his shots through and picking corners on some of them.  He looks to be a much better shooter than advertised.  I havent been following as closely as some, but I remember he was touted as Tanev esque at the draft.  Limited offense but mistake free.  It seems like Bo Horvat being Mr. Intangibles but bad skater at the draft Joulevi is actually transforming into an offensive defenseman.  Again with limited observation, this really seems like Sami Salo all over again.  I know thats not as sexy as say Shea Weber, but I would be very happy with that.  Salo also took a while to be an impact player in the NHL. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

He is getting his shots through and picking corners on some of them.  He looks to be a much better shooter than advertised.  I havent been following as closely as some, but I remember he was touted as Tanev esque at the draft.  Limited offense but mistake free.  

He was dominant offensively during his draft year, both in the OHL and in the Wjc. He was not drafted as a tanev-esque defenseman at all but more of an elite two way D. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, bree2 said:

OJ no worse than Pouliet who made mistakes which lead to goals scored.  they all do it. nobody is perfect!

aside from his brain fart per game, Pouliot has been better every game and has positioned himself nicely into the lineup.  He'll be a top 4 guy by next year, if he can eliminate the brain farts.

21 hours ago, The Lock said:

And you somehow don't think his move was part of the overall strategy that he's been told? Edler does this stuff as well so it's pretty evident what he was doing was likely by the book.

Rob is also right that he was clearly squeezed off by his teammate and, no matter what he'd do at that point, it wouldn't have changed the outcome (unless if you'd prefer him to have injured the teammate squeezing him or something.

If you bring up a legitimate concern then I'd listen. It's not like I'm the highest on Juolevi to begin with. However, this is meaningless without any context including what was happening before, etc. The next step would be to take just a picture and blow it out of proportion due to a lack of meaning in the picture (like how memes are made).

that's as much the cman's fault as it is the d

On 2018-11-06 at 4:52 PM, The 5th Line said:

What do you mean if he is the strong side d?    Do you know what "strong side" means?   Biega was on the strong side and he was chasing, Olli should never have abandoned his post in front of the net, and it was more so the lack of intensity/effort he shows on the play.  I'm not cherry picking one bad play he's made, I'm just trying to hear more of your insight of defensive zone play/   

I am getting the popcorn, this should be entertaining. 

8 hours ago, Jester13 said:

The only critique I have of the OJ gif is how he stops skating and let's the play unfold ahead of him to the point where he barely reacts before the puck is in the net. 

Please refrain from flaming when I say this again, as I've said it months and months ago in here, but this is my small concern with him: he seems to have brain farts or something on plays where he gets beat, and he seems to just give up on those plays. This is where I think he needs to play with a heightened sense of urgency, similar to Tanev. 

But he's young and developing and will simply need more time to grow his skills and confidence. He'll be fine. 

I see a team breakdown. Either it was OJ’s guy and the other player was supposed to let OJ pick up the guy going around the net, or OJ blew his position in front of the net by chasing the puck. 

Young players adjusting to new systems and players. This will happen. No biggie.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Off topic to some extent.

these are concern fans from Lighting fans, on Shergechev, who some Canuck fans are saying we should have picked.  Other then his hot start, he has dropped back down to earth I assume, teams have figured him out.  Shergechev isn't doing too well right now.

Highly sheltered, on a much better team no less. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I see a team breakdown. Either it was OJ’s guy and the other player was supposed to let OJ pick up the guy going around the net, or OJ blew his position in front of the net by chasing the puck. 

Young players adjusting to new systems and players. This will happen. No biggie.  

It's not just the one play but a common pattern with him - albeit less so than it was in years prior. He's learning how to have consistent compete levels on every shift, which is something that most young guys need to learn (see V18 as an example). He is learning and catching on, though, so I don't worry too much about him at all. This is just the main area I've been finding since the beginning with him that he has needed to work on, and he's slowly getting there. 

It's great to see him putting up points, which I've always felt he's been unrrated with by many on CDC. I've ways felt that he can be our next edler in the top 2 who can put up 40pts for us. Man, him and Hughes will be solidifying our backend for a few cups. 

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

It's not just the one play but a common pattern with him - albeit less so than it was in years prior. He's learning how to have consistent compete levels on every shift, which is something that most young guys need to learn (see V18 as an example). He is learning and catching on, though, so I don't worry too much about him at all. This is just the main area I've been finding since the beginning with him that he has needed to work on, and he's slowly getting there. 

It's great to see him putting up points, which I've always felt he's been unrrated with by many on CDC. I've ways felt that he can be our next edler in the top 2 who can put up 40pts for us. Man, him and Hughes will be solidifying our backend for a few cups. 

Don't sleep on Rathbone. Still early but 6 points in 3 games and now paling on the top line with Adam Fox a JR. Who flat out told cAlgareyno. Due to rhe logjam they have. Canes gonna have the same problem. Maybe Rathbone who said he wants to turn pro asap can bring Fox lol, Lots of room for a guy who is a right shot with 8 points in 3 games. Rathbone would have gone quite high if he played in the USHL instead of HS. I remember talk of him being one of the top DA of his draft class. But scouts didn't like the comp he was playing  Against. cannon of a shot. Cheers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Thing is, is that he's shown to adapt to that at every new level he's played. Same as last year in Finland. He started slowly there looking 'behind', 'not focused enough', 'not strong enough' etc and by the end of the years was arguably their best D.

I believe this is what they refer to as development ;)

13 hours ago, mpass1 said:

Just some food for thought.... Thomas Chabot 20 year old AHL numbers: 13GP 2G 5A -7PTS  minus 10   vs Juolevi  20 year old AHL numbers:13 GP 1G 8A -9 PTS minus 8   

How dare you sir! Players aren't allowed to take time to adjust to new levels and develop their games! They are either NHL'ers by their D+1 or they're busts!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2