The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Ridicule?  That's a bit steep. I'm just an old fart lamenting the slippage of standards that applied 30 or 40 years ago, pre the instant gratification culture of the internet (and btw, English is my second language too)

images.jpeg.35089793d68d6986a168354c81c36117.jpeg

Seems like there's a few "old farts" on this site,::D,  more than I would have imagined. I too am in my dotage but my memories remind me that the era you refer to was blessed with folks frowning on others misfortunes too. This is not a recent occurrence but one that's brewed for a long period. However today most stop and think and hopefully help those that need help to join in. We don't want to exclude others we want to encourage them. Have a good one 

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha....yeah.

Toronto had to trade their 1st round pick to dump a contract (marleau).  Toronto signed nylander to a ridiculous contract and paid matthews too much too soon.

Toronto is managing their cap way better than the Canucks!! :picard:

Not to mention they’re having to beg their highest producing player to take much less than market value (because everyone wants to play for the Leafs right?)

An offer sheet of 10 million or over would also put the Leafs in a tough situation right now. They would have to dump more salary from their already weakened depth plus bleed more assets.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

There are no cap issues once only 23 players are counted towards the cap. 

Tanev probably does not get traded unless we get a top 4 RD back. Otherwise our D goes back to being in over its head imo.

Hughes, Benn, and Tryamkin (if he's back in March) can all play the right side. While we are better with Tanev, given he's a ufa and if he's playing well, it will be time to cut bait and maximize his value for the first time in 4+ years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Assuming he fully recovers from surgery, the injuries are in a way a blessing for him.  He's been nearly forgotten if not written off by many, in the category of "found money".  He'll come in with nearly no pressure, especially with the starting six already projected.  If there are no injuries, he likely doesn't earn a top-6 out of camp, but that's fine, he'll get here soon enough.

Mobile, high IQ, calm defender, good outlet passes, great wrist shot, decent size, can run the point, no-look passes to open teammates... going to be a great addition.

He's everything we wanted out of Byram, people don't even realize

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Are you saying you believe OJ is as good as Byram?

Some scouts believe Byram will be a number 1 D man.  No one said that about OJ that I am aware of.

Quite the stretch there imo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

An offer sheet of 10 million or over would also put the Leafs in a tough situation right now. They would have to dump more salary from their already weakened depth plus bleed more assets.

He'd have to want to sign it.  What possible teams would interest him enough to sign such an offer (I don't know, hence my question).

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Big time stretch, Byram is a much better skater, much more confidence/creativity and assertiveness on the ice. I love juolevi but Byram is the better prospect by far at this point. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Tanev probably does not get traded unless we get a top 4 RD back. Otherwise our D goes back to being in over its head imo.

How would you solve our cap troubles kanuk

Who is moving off the books for you

On 7/19/2019 at 12:01 PM, Pete M said:

If OJ can make the team out of training camp, then this would be a positive in his development...other "D" from his class have played in the NHL and are ahead of him in their development...however, if OJ can make the jump, then he is not that far behind the best in his draft class Segachev 72 pts, McAvoy 60 pts, and Chychrun 54 pts.

image.png

I still can’t believe we picked OJ over Tkachuck :picard:

I mean, ever so called hockey “expert” had Tkachuck ranked higher! 

• Haha 1

On 7/21/2019 at 1:34 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Agreed.  Keeping Tanev would be better than trading him, then to have to add another similar d man if we were playoff bound.  No playoffs, no problem, fleece TO.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I still can’t believe we picked OJ over Tkachuck :picard:

I mean, ever so called hockey “expert” had Tkachuck ranked higher! 

Edmonton is probably more shocked they picked pulji.

Drafting is not an exact science. But some on here seem to think hindsight makes them smart.  :frantic:

5 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Like Benning did this year? :lol:

I think he was more referring to the fact that many people on this board believe you should only be drafting forwards in the first round unless its an exceptional talent such as Dahlin, Byram, Hughes etc.

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

No doubt Tkachuk is already a good NHL player, but Juolevi will also become a good NHL player. He's just taking the scenic route. Let's see how wonderful having Tkachuk is when he wants a new contarct. You can bet Daddy Tkachuk will be demanding his kid make top dollar with term and a NTC. Good times ahead for CGY.

...Wish I could give you a few more up-votes for this one...!

• Wat 1