Canucks Community

Time Capsule - Prediction Thread for 2016-17 NHL season

Canorth

On 28/06/2016 at 4:25 PM, Odd. said:

Canucks barely make the playoffs.

We vs a team and lose series 4-1

Record: 42-31-9 (93 points)

Stanley Cup winner: St Louis Blues

Virtanen will have 26 points (14g 12a). Horvat finishes with 48 points (20g-28a). Baertschi finishes with 45 points (16g 29a).

I was pretty close with the Horvat prediction. Baertschi if healthy would've surpassed my expectation of 45 pts. 

Let's hope I'm wrong with the Stanley Cup winner though. Go SJ go!

On 10/14/2016 at 8:36 PM, numb3r 16 said:

The Year of The McDavid

EAST

Metro  

Pens 

Caps 

Rangers

Islanders 

-------P/DL-------

Devils

Hurricanes

Flyers 

Blue Jackets 

Atlantic

Lightning 

Canadiens

Panthers

Redwings 

-------P/DL-------

Sens 

Bruins 

Leafs 

Sabers 

West

Central

Preds

Stars 

Blues  

Blackhawks 

-------P/DL-------

Jets

Wild 

Avs

Pacific

Sharks 

Oilers 

Canucks 

Flames 

-------P/DL-------

Kings 

Ducks

Coyotes 

--P/DL-- is the playoff/Draft lottery line

Canucks Total Scoring statistics

Daniel Sedin-77

Henrik Sedin-74

Bo Horvat-52

Loui Eriksson-69

Jannik Hansen-31

Sven Baertschi-39

Ben Hutton-30

Alexandre Burrows-27

Alexander Edler-36

Christopher Tanev-20

Derek Dorsett-14

Jake Virtanen-30

Brandon Sutter-38

Luca Sbisa-12

Alex Biega-3

Markus Granlund-28

Nikita Tryamkin-6

Brendan Gaunce-23

Erik Gudbranson-14

Anton Rodin-40

Philip Larsen-24

Troy Stecher-18

Canucks Goals

Eriksson 33

Daniel 23

Horvat 23

Sutter 20

Baertschi 19

NHL Leading Goals

Tarasenko 48

Ovechkin 47

McDavid 43

Jamie Benn 42

Stamkos 40

NHL leading Scorers

Crosby 98

Mcdavid 92

Kane 92

Benn 87

Stamkos 83

NHL AWARDS

Hart: McDavid

Norris: Subban

Calder: Matthews

Vezina: Price

Lindsay: McDavid

Jack Adams: Peter Laviolette

Conn Smythe: Subban

At least I got Bo's point total right haha

On 2016-06-30 at 7:39 PM, bobbyg43 said:

Miss playoffs by 2 points conference losses late in season due to key Injury's an major goal scoring slump 

young guys continue to show break out signs after TDL but struggle down stretch to our rivals in Edmonton,Coyotes an Calgary 

the coach loses his veterans in March an again we lament the bottom feeder title 

One free agents an now this upcoming draft JB is also under the gun

the team he has assembled to many tweeners an bottom 6 . This will no get the job done in the newly turbo charged Pacific Conference.

Sedins crack 70 points

Sutter 50 points

Bo Ho. 42 points he has shown 2 nd line production playing third line

the bigger better D is better but the offensive talent proves still to Achilles heel to the Canucks.

Bottom 5 on forward are challenged to score in WD system which puts in jeopardy WD job, as he cannot line match yet an 3-3 still sucks under his coaching .He will be sacked just before next draft.{smoke screen for JB to kick can down road one more year}

Fans wear brown bags towards end of season to show displeasure .

reserved

Willie could not get 94 points out of group nor could he generate offense.

the fans did not have to resort to brown bags.

We are a long ways from a 94 point team so so far away .

On 7/7/2016 at 11:07 AM, Adarsh Sant said:

Pacific                                                                               Team Leaders -

1. San Jose                                                                        Goals - Loui Eriksson - 43 G

2. Vancouver                                                                      Assists - Henrik Sedin - 60 A                                                                        

3. LA                                                                                   Points - Daniel Sedin - 82 Pts

4. Calgary - Wild Card 2                                                                                

5. Edmonton 

6. Anaheim 

7. Arizona                                                                          Overall Record -  46-25-11 ( we still can't win shootouts) 

Home Record -    27-10-4

Central                                                                              Away Record -    19-15-7

1. St  Louis - P

2. Dallas

3. Chicago 

4. Nashville - Wild Card 1

5. Colorado 

6. Minnesota 

7. Winnipeg 

Atlantic 

1. Tampa Bay 

2. Florida

3. Montreal

4. Ottawa

5. Boston

6. Detroit

7. Toronto

8. Buffalo

Metropolitan

1. Washington - Z

2. NY Rangers

3. NY Islanders

4. Pittsburgh - Wild Card 1

5. Philadelphia - Wild Card 2

6. Columbus

7. New Jersey

8. Carolina

Wow I wan't even close

This is absolutely delusional.  I am terrible at this. 

At least I got Eastern conference winner right.

I am cringing so hard at scoring predictions.

13 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Wow I wan't even close

This is absolutely delusional.  I am terrible at this. 

At least I got Eastern conference winner right.

I am cringing so hard at scoring predictions.

You shouldn't be the only one. A lot of people haven't full grasped how low scoring has become. There were 3 40 goal scorers this season and one of them is a rookie.

On 2016-06-28 at 4:11 PM, RWMc1 said:

It's going to be an interesting campaign.

Tampa-Boston-Montreal- Detroit-Ottawa-Florida-Buffalo-Toronto

NY Islanders-Washington-Pittsburgh-Philadelphia-NY Rangers-New Jersey-Columbus-Carolina

Nashville-Chicago-St Louis-Dallas-Winnipeg-Minnesota-Colorado

Ducks-Sharks-Canucks-Oilers-Kings-Flames-Coyotes

Didn't put much thought into those. Some close some way off.

Canucks challenge for 2nd but settle for 3rd in our division.  Best case scenario rather than worst.

Daniel Sedin scores 31g and 44a.        They were on a good pace the previous season before injury. I expected  a similar

Henrik scores 21g and 51a.                   pace with Loui. No real chemistry and top D matchups still. Tough year!

Eriksson with 30g and 39a first and last goal of season. Same here. No chemistry after the Worlds? Where did it go?

Gaunce steps in and plays a solid season.   Yep! Solid role player. Just needs to contribute offence.

Rodin returns later and gets 0.8 ppg the rest of the season.  Ouch for Rodin. Too early just for "a look" Too bad!

Baertschi gets his 20 goals.    Close.

Larsen impresses but gets injured; Stecher steps in and also impresses. Larsen returns and continues playing well.    Larsen played adequately until his injury. The return, not so much. Stecher was an obvious one.

Tryamkin takes some time but plays solid by seasons end. Hopefully he comes to camp in shape. He has the makings of top player in the League.

1 big trade no-one saw coming.  At the start of the season no one would have expected the return for Burrows.

Sbisa, Edler, Larsen, Dorsett, and Burrows will be this seasons scapegoats by the negative whiners. Burrows was replaced by Megna. Add Loui and Willie. The Sbisa hatred died down a little. The Sedins?!!??? It's pretty sad when two of our best players ever are targeted for not being as good as they used to be. 36 years old and still taking most of the top defensive pairings most of the season. If we can get a solid enough season out of Bo's line next season, then the Sedins might get easier matchups and could still be effective for us.

Three Canadian teams in the Playoffs.  Five, even better.

Annoying posters, who have popped up and established themselves as regulars on CDC, will conveniently and coincidentally come to the rescue of the refs and NHL whenever they are discussed in any thread. The ref, NHL, and DoPeS apologists are always lurking.

A donkey is genetically manipulated and conceives a winged offspring. The ugly little bugger can't fly but if you throw it up it can glide for a short distance. The Canucks win Lord Stanley's Cup. WW3 is thwarted by aliens. I added the WW3 reference to make sure that it was an obvious joke and anyone who took it seriously needs some kind of help. Although aliens could have thwarted WW3 and kept it all quiet. You never know!

3 hours ago, Toews said:

You shouldn't be the only one. A lot of people haven't full grasped how low scoring has become. There were 3 40 goal scorers this season and one of them is a rookie.

And one 100 point scorer.

No way any player in the NHL's Top 100 gets more than 120 points in todays game.

On 2016-10-14 at 3:15 PM, Pears said:

- The Sedins and Eriksson will combine for 185 points, with Eriksson scoring the 40 goals that Sutter said

- Bo Horvat will crack 50 points

- Sven Baertschi will be a 20-20 player

- Ben Hutton and Erik Gudbranson will be our top pair by Christmas

- Jacob Markstrom takes over the starting role half way into the season

- Jake Virtanen scores 15-20 goals

- Despite what everyone is saying, we will make the playoffs, and against all the odds, will represent in the West in the Stanley Cup Final. 

:unsure:

On 2016-06-28 at 7:02 PM, Salacious Crumb said:

We surprise many and lead the division at Xmas. We are due for some good luck and this year things break our way.

Markstrom plays so well Evender Kane (cleared of all charges) makes his way here at tdl for Miller so he can go home for a couple of years.

Sedins and Loui total 200pts. 

Hutton is the best dman on the team by end of the season with 37pts.

94pts for the team and birth in the playoffs.

There is a one word answer for this. Tequila.

20 hours ago, canuckistani said:

It'd be easier to make predictions if we knew more or less what our roster next year looks like. Ie, lets wait till expansion draft, draft and UFA signings. 

Agreed.

What I think we will see is a huge push for first 2 months then once the team has been set and the players are assured they won't be sent down or traded away they will get sloppy and lazy...feeling entitled.I hope that we get a coach that will be on this team day in and out. Work hard...

23 hours ago, canuckistani said:

It'd be easier to make predictions if we knew more or less what our roster next year looks like. Ie, lets wait till expansion draft, draft and UFA signings. 

4 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

Agreed.

What I think we will see is a huge push for first 2 months then once the team has been set and the players are assured they won't be sent down or traded away they will get sloppy and lazy...feeling entitled.I hope that we get a coach that will be on this team day in and out. Work hard...

This thread is for this past year (2016-17), not next year. It's only been re-opened so people can post about their own predictions from back in September or October. I'm sure the thread for next year will be made around September or so.

Nico Hischier, gets 60+ points. The 2nd pick overall to the Vancouver Canucks. Book it my fellow Canuck fans, our golden ticket. #TrustTheProcess #OrcaNation. Hischier and Horvat our 2nd line centre, we are on the uprising. Hischier and Boeser on the same line, future #1 line

I can't seem to find mine...but pretty sure I thought this

Canucks would have max 82 points probably less

Sedins would decline

Thought Eriksson would score more

Thought Edmonton would breakout

Wasn't sure about Calagary's

Thought the Canucks should trade some vets.....suggested both Hanson and Burrows...many times 

Didn't  think the playoffs were a possibility

Really wrong about Eriksson?.

If anyone sees it...please post it and I will suffer the most probably

On 2016-06-28 at 5:13 PM, combover said:

30th place but still manage to draft 3rd overall ( nuck luck) 

wD fired prior to Christmas 

benning fired at the end of the season

League worst pp

league worst face off

league worst goal for

league worst goal differential 

franchise record lowest attendance 

At some point before getting fired benning trades next years 2nd and fifth for other teams failed  projects.

for the record my prediction for 15/16 season was pretty close : 

Overall standing 25th. Bad news 

Top 5 pick . Good news

Benning learns you need goals to win not character. Good news 

malhotra really fixed the face off woes 

no one could have predicted Colorado being as bad as they were. 

Willie should have been fired at Christmas after yet another 9 game losing skid. 

the Larsen lesson seems to have had the desired effect. No picks for other teams throw always or projects.....yet.

jumped the gun on benning ...that's next spring.

Nucks Would have been 30th if wasn't for miller. 

On 6/28/2016 at 4:01 PM, baumerman77 said:

1. Canucks miss the playoffs and finish near the bottom of the West(unless they have a very high PDO)

2. Willie D gets fired at some point during the season or shorty after the season ends

3. Jordan Subban gets traded at some point between now and the 2017 NHL Draft

I still think there is a chance Subban gets traded during the entry draft. 

Archived