The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a sniper

Pete M

4 hours ago, dura_mater said:

It's definitely too high a price.  Edmonton tried to move Yak at the deadline for a 2nd.  No team wanted him for a 2nd rounder.

Interesting if true, Benning would trade a 2nd for Vey and Baertschi, so either Benning thinks Yakupov is worse than those players or that was never the asking price if the Canucks were interested.

7 hours ago, Pete M said:

Our top line just got older for a long time...

We need and always have needed secondary scoring...

We still need a true sniper on the second line...similar to Kessel on the Pens 3rd line (now that is scoring depth).

A team plays against the Canucks' top line and lets them play on the perimeter thereby shutting them down. 

Top line shut down...who is going to score?...we need speed, skill and a sniper on the 2nd line to compliment the top line.

I don't see the defence adding to the offence.

Right now...it sucks to be a Canuck fan.

News flash for you: the Canucks are rebuilding, the team will stink for at least 4-5 more years and if the rebuild is well-done, then things will start to turn around then. Teams go through cycles. This is where this team is at. Period.

We got a sniper named Anton Rodin!! What we need is a big tough winger that produce... a cheaper, younger Hartnell!! We should've bought out Burrows and trade Hansen..... instead, JB trolled us by rounding out the roster with one of Chaput, Rendulic and Megna.... total BS!!!! 

7 hours ago, Pete M said:

Our top line just got older for a long time...

We need and always have needed secondary scoring...

We still need a true sniper on the second line...similar to Kessel on the Pens 3rd line (now that is scoring depth).

A team plays against the Canucks' top line and lets them play on the perimeter thereby shutting them down. 

Top line shut down...who is going to score?...we need speed, skill and a sniper on the 2nd line to compliment the top line.

I don't see the defence adding to the offence.

Right now...it sucks to be a Canuck fan.

This is malarkey. Bearstchi is a solid 2nd tier sniper.

bad thread

4 hours ago, mpt said:

Etem is a poor mans power forward trying to become a bonafide power forward

Daniel is a playmaker

Baertschi is a playmaker

I don't know if you understand what a sniper is.

Our closest thing to a sniper is Anton Rodin.  Hopefully he's the answer.

Bae can snipe

Grabner :(..... :rolleyes:

I think Loui was a very good add, I personally think he will net 25-30, so that alone is very helpful. But who would be consider a pure sniper in this years free agency? Maybe a 2006 version of Vanek, but as for pure sniper. Not much going on for that in this years free agency pool. 

Yes we need a sniper, and we don't have a second line yet, and ideally we should have the Sedins  as the second line so they can  finally get a break from every teams best shut down line.  Oh and we need a true offensive defenseman coupled with a dependable true #2 partner.  Also we need a proven #1 or at least a top ten goalie.

That said currently we have a pretty good team compared to the dark ages between the LInden/Bure era and the Naslund Bertuzzi Jovo cop era...so we shouldn't complain.  It takes time to re-do a core, and Benning has done an admirable job considering the mess he walked into, particularly in the draft and signing Miller and Vrbata to fill some gaping holes.  It actually is a good time to be a fan, things can be, and have been much worse historically for the club, and we have to expect some down years following the exodus of the best team we have ever had (2009-2013)(Luongo, Schnieds, Kesler etc) and the remenents thereof (Sedins, Horvat etc).

Benning etal lost 44 goals out of the line up. IF Loui can score 30, it still leaves the team 14 goal short from being the second lowest scoring team in the league.

While goal scoring should be up league wide so any additional goals should be compared to league averages.

Even if the Nucks scored and additional 20 over last year, they are still one of the lowest in the league. If the team's defence stops an additional 20 goals this year, they are still in the negative.

This team is just treading water.

Baer and maybe Granlund can step up for secnodary scoring, maybe Burrows has some gas left in him I dunno, and maybe Etem but I haven't really seen him do anything flashy this past season.  Virt is supposed to be a potential scorer as well.

On ‎2‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 3:38 PM, theo5789 said:

Interesting if true, Benning would trade a 2nd for Vey and Baertschi, so either Benning thinks Yakupov is worse than those players or that was never the asking price if the Canucks were interested.

It was the asking price for Yakupov.  Yakupov is a bust/project.  Baertschi and Vey weren't or were less so.  Vey hadn't played much/at all at the NHL level.  Baertschi hadn't been given a chance.  Yakupov has been given all the chances in the world.  Plus this draft was "deep" so GMs were probably less likely to give up a second. 

Chiarelli actually had the balls to ask for Sanheim from Philly for Yakupov.  I can imagine the Philly GM probably laughed.

The great thing about looking into the past is that you remember comments about the Sedin's being 2nd line players at best, and Kesler being a good 3rd line shutdown player.This was said by leaders of the team at that time.

We need to have patience to grow the team properly. 

I think we can safely say the Horvat will be our solid 2nd line center or maybe a solid 2 way 1st line center aka Bergeron since we love to compare ourselves to the Bruins. (my 2nd favorite team) . That's the thing about looking at a players skill set and drive at age 21. We know Bo has both qualities so its just about how his skill set improves.

Boeser, Virtanen, and Baertschi all fall into the 2nd/ 1 st line players. Surround them by Eriksson and the Sedin's signing for 1-2 more years at less money and I think we will be well set to be a "contender" in 2018. Not with superstars, but with a solid balanced line up that can shutdown the opposing superstars while beating them with a balanced attack.

Until than we should be a playoff team with our few suttle changes being made, and barring another dramatic injury riddled season,

Very happy with Benning's direction and accomplishments considering what he started with....

Go Canucks!

On July 2, 2016 at 9:35 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

Benning etal lost 44 goals out of the line up. IF Loui can score 30, it still leaves the team 14 goal short from being the second lowest scoring team in the league.

While goal scoring should be up league wide so any additional goals should be compared to league averages.

Even if the Nucks scored and additional 20 over last year, they are still one of the lowest in the league. If the team's defence stops an additional 20 goals this year, they are still in the negative.

Sutter alone should make up the 14. But sure okay. 

On July 2, 2016 at 9:35 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

you could very well be correct ..  or you could be totally wrong .  

Im a huge Canucks fan so I find it difficult not to drink the cool aid .  Once again , we arrive at another pre season and I am filled with hope that somehow someway , this just might be our year .

On 7/1/2016 at 6:23 PM, Aleksander Barkov said:

Yakupov would score 40 goals with the Sedins.

Yak is a headless chicken who looks like he's going a million miles an hour without actually going anywhere. Terrible hockey IQ as well- he would last 5 games with the twins before they demanded he was moved elsewhere and he would be stuck right where he is now, the hockey purgatory of not being good enough for the top six or suitable for the bottom six. 

Archived