The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) NHL spoke to the Canucks about Gudbranson threatening Martin

PhillipBlunt

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. It is not the most effective method. Was Gudbranson deployed at the same time as Kadri after the hit?

Lucic is in a class all his own when it comes to buffoonery. Although the reason he's been on three teams in three years has been because he is coveted, not because of his rampant jackassery. Why didn't the league speak to the Bruins about Lucic though?

The Canucks and Bruins had a line brawl in Boston, the year after the Stanley Cup Final. Who's not following.....

You don't think Kadri is going to get slammed by Gudbranson and Tryamkin every chance they get? Dorsett won't attempt a nice hit and a scrap?

Same union, not brotherhood. Can't say quite a few players across the league have treated the Sedins like brothers. Another hole blown in that theory.

I don't think another line brawl happens, but Marner and Matthews may want to keep their heads up.

That spear was pretty sad. Would've rather Burrows facewash him. What's with all the butt-tapping, hair pulling talk?

It is not the most effective method. Was Gudbranson deployed at the same time as Kadri after the hit?

Come on now. Did you even watch the game? Kadri was ejected at that time. And the threat in question is not aimed at Kadri but at Martin for his fight with the 5'6" Stecher (is he that tall, it's hard to tell). You act as if there was no payback in the last 13 minutes of the game! Dorsett did his job and found someone who doesn't fight to get involved with. Burrows did his job and speared Reilly. Hansen puched Kadri's visors a few times. And I am sure Gud said some nasty stuff, maybe even to Marner! There was major payback. So will Dorsett make an ass of himself once more? Maybe. Oh and yes the hair pulling, well that was of course Burrows on Keith, when Burrows got really mad at Keith and pulled his hair. You remember, right? Burrows is Burrows.

I know when you threaten someone is bad,but lets face it when a team takes cheap shots at your players this happens always so why are we the team that is being talked to.OMG protect the Laughs nothing new here the NHL is turning into a garbage league with things like this happening.I hope someone on our team hits one of their stars and then beats up their tough guy without penalties!

NOW LETS SEE HERE,

There are people who don't believe the Canucks generally get the Shi##y end of the calls.

This however shows beyond a doubt,that some of these rulings are so one sided it really stinks.

If it was reversed Toronto would be bit%tching to high heaven and getting the proper call (Kadri offends again and gets nothing,what a joke)

Just because you play for Toronto you can pull this crap and no problem,but Canucks get called into the principals office for the strap sort of thing.

IF IT WASN'T SO SAD IT WOULD BE LAUGHABLE!

5 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

It is not the most effective method. Was Gudbranson deployed at the same time as Kadri after the hit?

Come on now. Did you even watch the game? Kadri was ejected at that time.

I responded to this nugget from you:

"The hit on Dan (Sedin I assume) happened in the seventh minute of the period. If Gudbranson had wanted to do something he had almost 13 minutes to do it." So what you are alluding to here is that Gudbranson had 13 minutes to exact revenge on the hit on Daniel. Who hit Daniel? Martin?

And the threat in question is not aimed at Kadri but at Martin for his fight with the 5'6" Stecher (is he that tall, it's hard to tell).

Thanks tips.

You act as if there was no payback in the last 13 minutes of the game! Dorsett did his job and found someone who doesn't fight to get involved with.

Where did I allude to that? Miller was awesome in his defense of Stecher, but Martin didn't learn his lesson though. He is a known cheap shot artist.

Burrows did his job and speared Reilly.

That's cheap crap, not payback. Burrows needs to stop that. His best type of payback is the kind he laid down in NY.

Hansen puched Kadri's visors a few times.

After a major hit from Reilly. Hansen is a machine and entirely awesome. Kadri again needs a taste of his own medicine, and a big spoonful, so that he'll remember how bad it tastes.

And I am sure Gud said some nasty stuff, maybe even to Marner!

Positive, or just assuming?

There was major payback. So will Dorsett make an ass of himself once more? Maybe. Oh and yes the hair pulling, well that was of course Burrows on Keith, when Burrows got really mad at Keith and pulled his hair. You remember, right? Burrows is Burrows.

Yes. Burrows has made a few "mental" errors over the course of his career. The hair-pulling amongst the worst. No argument there.

12 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

NOW LETS SEE HERE,

There are people who don't believe the Canucks generally get the Shi##y end of the calls.

This however shows beyond a doubt,that some of these rulings are so one sided it really stinks.

If it was reversed Toronto would be bit%tching to high heaven and getting the proper call (Kadri offends again and gets nothing,what a joke)

Just because you play for Toronto you can pull this crap and no problem,but Canucks get called into the principals office for the strap sort of thing.

IF IT WASN'T SO SAD IT WOULD BE LAUGHABLE!

Like someone else mentioned Bettman is a banker the Leafs make more money and there owners are media so heck ya they are biased. I think if we break some guys because the league didn't properly punish there preferred team then maybe just maybe the league will recognize that in a contact sport you can not protect cheap shots !

This wasn't  a "threat".

It's Gudbranson venting after a couple cheap shots followed by another cowardly gig - Martin attempting to goon it up on a small rookie.

Can you imagine Gudbranson attempting to drop the gloves with Nylander or Marner?  I can't.  He has more pride than that.

Martin's troll job was with 5:08 left in the game, and he received 2,5 and a misconduct.

People going on as if Gudbranson should have settled this at the time are out to lunch.  Martin was done for the night.

And the whole incident is a non-matter were it not for some Leafs media cling-on reporting what he overheard outside a locker room.

This is right up there with Botchford repeating comments that Joe Thornton made in the locker room. 

Except here we have what amounts to a rat / tattle-tale type dynamic, with daddy Colin Campbell (of all people) stepping in threatening to keep Gudbranson's allowance if he doesn't behave.

After the continued open season Toronto just enabled on cheap head shots to the Sedins (by a player like Kadri, as if it's an isolated incident) this is all just more head shake material from a league that handles far too many of these incidents while mired in confilct of interest.

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Maybe the NHL should have a "discussion" with the DOPS?

anyone who has even played beer league hockey or above knows there are death threats on every shift. What world is the NHL American knuckleheads living in? 

did daddy campbell talk to kadri after his troath slash pr lucid when we was a bruin. Oh thats right nothing happens to Boston because his sons plays their. 

Somebody should hack into the NHL system and leak all of the stuff. And the Aquallini really need to address this anti canuck bias

The solution is very simple... Gudbranson doesn't challenge Martin unless provoked.

Instead, Canucks call up Pedan and put him on the 4th line and make sure at some point he is matched with Martin.

Pedan roughs up Martin till he responds.

Also, if Tryamkin gets any kind of opportunity, he squashes Martin flat.

you know what would be a good FU to the league? call up Pedan, Labate for that game and give the leafs hell for 60 minutes. We shouldn't give a rats ass about what they have to say. this is the league that let McGrattan endi Alberts career with no fine or suspension. Keith ending our playoff chances in 2012 by deliberately elbowing our leading scorer.. and what did Keith get? 5 games to rest before the playoffs.

If im Gudbranson or Tryamkin or whoever, i would stay within the boundaries of the rules but i would take runs at the leafs young players at every opportunity, even blindside from behind because apparently thats legal.

8 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

you know what would be a good FU to the league? call up Pedan, Labate for that game and give the leafs hell for 60 minutes. We shouldn't give a rats ass about what they have to say. this is the league that let McGrattan endi Alberts career with no fine or suspension. Keith ending our playoff chances in 2012 by deliberately elbowing our leading scorer.. and what did Keith get? 5 games to rest before the playoffs.

If im Gudbranson or Tryamkin or whoever, i would stay within the boundaries of the rules but i would take runs at the leafs young players at every opportunity, even blindside from behind because apparently thats legal.

watch them change the rule and hour before the game lol

3 hours ago, Apricot said:

Keep on going Guddy. Don't let this stop you on December 3rd. If you get a fine, all us Canucks fans will gladly chip in. If you get suspended, it'll be worth it. I don't want to see anyone leaving on a stretcher. I don't want to see anyone injured, but I want to see revenge. 

3 hours ago, coastal1 said:

At least tell me that you know that the December 3 game will be 100% tame. "Payback" games never amount to anything in the NHL. Remember the ultimate payback game, Canucks versus Avalanche. Matt Cooke got beaten up by Moore on the first shift and it was all over until one player lost it and decided to essentially end his carreer that night. You think Gudbranson wants to end his carreer on Dec 3? You know he doesn't. Dec 3 will be the most tame game at Rogers Place this season.

Most tame game? I doubt that, of course Gudbranson isn't going to go out there and pull a Mcsorley now, but I can guarantee when there's an opportunity to line up someone he isn't going to hold back.

4 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

That's if they can actually line them up. I don't know if you saw the game but they skated circles around the Canucks defense.

I feel sorry for our guys, they will want some payback for that game but the league has already started with the threats in order to maintain control. Of course if they heed those threats the fans here will view that as "backing down" but what choice do they have?

Kadri will of course refuse to drop the gloves. Martin will drop the gloves but someone who he feels matches up better with him. In the end it will be a physical chippy game but the high expectations people have on here are going to end in disappointment. You can bet the league has warned Dorsett and Martin as well about dropping the gloves before the other player has agreed to a fight.

Also these claims that the Canucks are targeted because they don't fight back is ridiculous. Detroit was one of the first teams to ditch the enforcer. For years they were the softest team in the NHL and they didn't face any more cheapshots than other teams. Having a tough team is not a deterrent to the rats around the league. Matt Cooke destroyed Savard's career when the Bruins were one of the toughest teams in the league with Chara, Thornton, McQuaid, Lucic etc

Archived