The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) winning now hurting the team longterm?

orcasgonewild

4 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Next time you see WD ask him to show you his Calder Cup ring or his 2 WHL Championship rings...then you can show him yours...a$$ hat...

Yea, the NHL isn't the AHL or CHL. Can you really tell me with a straight face, with the absurd coaching decisions Willie makes, that he is 100% the man to take us to the next level? Also insulting me isn't gonna help your case/argument at all. 

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

Yea, the NHL isn't the AHL or CHL. Can you really tell me with a straight face, with the absurd coaching decisions Willie makes, that he is 100% the man to take us to the next level? Also insulting me isn't gonna help your case/argument at all. 

And insulting WD doesn't help yours. Are you a Canucks fan or are you just here to crap on our players/coaches?

Not too many NHL coaches have won the Calder Cup and 2 WHL championships. The guy KNOWS how to win...trust me...he ain't the problem. How about giving the man a first line and a D-corps that isn't perpetually decimated to work with...he'd look like Quennville then. Like I've said a thousand times before, he's taken a team destined by the experts to finish last with 65 points to within a sniff of the playoffs...I can think of a dozen other teams that would love to have him as their coach. Everyone keeps saying "give Travis Green a shot"...what has he done at the pro level? They got close but didn't win...Willie did.

And my humblest apologies for the posterior headwear reference...I have always stood up for my teammates as a player (drop 'em anytime anywhere) and continue to be same same with my beloved Canucks.

I gotta admit we are much better now than when benning started I mean Look at this...

Virtanen

Boeser 

Juolevi

Tryamkin 

Demko

Baertschi 

Granlund 

Stecher 

Gaudette 

Gudbranson 

Our team is looking sick!!!! 

I think benning will draft a centre or left winger in this year's draft and I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Along with any other college free agent signings.

1 minute ago, Mike Ross said:

I gotta admit we are much better now than when benning started I mean Look at this...

Virtanen

Boeser 

Juolevi

Tryamkin 

Demko

Baertschi 

Granlund 

Stecher 

Gaudette 

Gudbranson 

Our team is looking sick!!!! 

I think benning will draft a centre or left winger in this year's draft and I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Along with any other college free agent signings.

Lockwood is looking to be a really good prospect too:)

3 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

Hello CDC, I know this is a controversial topic among Canucks fans and the few ppl around the league that still pay attention to us. 

ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTIONS: if the Canucks make the playoffs do u realistically think they get past the first round? And Lets say Canucks don't get that wildcard spot, are you prepared for a bad so-so draft pick along with the disappointment of lack of deadline moves and same roster next year? 

Don't get me wrong, I love how the team is winning and has a chance to compete in the playoffs but.....

We need Young assets with top line to second line potential.

With players of the Sedins magnitude retiring that leaves our team in an awkward limbo without top line centre and top wingers.

Our team has strong goaltending and defensive prospects so that's not the issue

Again I'm happy the Canucks are competing but long term boeser is potentially our only top line winger. 

We need more depth and with the 2018 draft being as deep as it is I think we should sell our older assets for younger assets. 

I also think we should be sellers at this year's draft.

Do u agree with me or are u liking the team's direction? 

Winning is excellent experience as well for our young players and this draft is notdeep or have franchise players. I say thank god we have Benning because he will find the right player no matter where we draft

Imagine the locker room with a defeatist attitude as you're sinking low in the standings and having nothing to play for.

Imagine Horvat, Stecher, Trymakin, Hutton, Baertschi and other young prospects being taught to accept failure and then bringing in your "tanked" picks into that losing parasitic environment the following year.

Edmonton and Toronto did this for years until 2016/17 always shuffling the deck of the Titanic.

No thanks! Play hard - play to win!

It still makes me groan. I can't believe the number of Canucks fans that have never participated in organized sports.

Every game, regardless of your competition, you play to win. And for a team manager to set his team up for failure by stripping a roster down to a non-compete level is a disgrace and should be fired, shamed and publicly ridiculed to the point of retirement. It literally makes the entire sport look like a sham by setting up your team to lose. 

Tanking is for losers. Play your best, give a 110% and let the chips fall where they may.

5 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

The way Miller and Markstrom have been playing, the will to stay in games besides being outmatched, the numerous comebacks and for the most part our solid defensive play. We could go on a Cinderella run. You never know.

82 and 94 came out of the blue and Brodeur and McLean stole the show both times.

We have the goaltending to do it that's for sure, I always want to see the boys win.

I'm definitely team tank because I'm really high on Nico Hischier, but if the young guys continue to develop and become more consistent in their game and the Canucks figure out a way to score (or trade for someone who can) then I could see them go on a Cinderella run. 

I think Gudbranson's injury is somewhat a blessing in disguise because Tryamkin gets valuable playing time to develop. If at the trade deadline and we're in a playoff spot or in the hunt for a playoff spot I could see Benning pulling a trade of Tanev+ for a 1st line forward (cough Duchene cough). Because at that time Gudbranson would be coming back from injury and our 6 dmen would be Edler, Stecher, Sbisa, Tryamkin, Hutton, and Gudbranson -- all of whom are capable of playing top-4 minutes. A good mix of size and nastiness on the backend but also mobility and puck movement. Add in a 1st line forward like Duchene and with the return of Hansen and Rodin from injury then all of a sudden we'll have three lines that can get hot and score on any given night. Plus two more-than-capable goaltenders in Miller and Markstrom.

Hmmmm... maybe we have more depth than I originally thought. Maybe we can be a true wildcard in the playoffs with continued development of the young guys, players returning from injury, and maybe a trade for offense. Or maybe we are that sixty-something point team that the media thinks we are and we're just playing way over our heads right now. 

With a driaft class like the previous 2 years, winning would likely hurt the team long-term but this year's draft class doesn't seem like a very strong one. Drafting anywhere after 5th place to 30th in the first round likely don't have much of a difference. In a weaker draft year, some good players may be overlooked and we might even find them outside of top 20. Since this is the case this year, why not just do the best we can to push for the playoffs, even if we come up short and draft 10-14 it's not that big of difference then drafting 5-9. I don't see us sucking to a point that we will be in a position to draft top 5.

Draft's don't guarantee anything.  I think this draft could be one of the most mediocre in ages.  Only time answers that question.

I think Benning will probably swap some prospects around and give us a little more talent on the team, maybe just by a few percent, but every bit helps.

I would rather win any day of the week than tank.  Sends all the wrong messages.  Then there is always the draft lottery, and look where that got us last year.

Absolutely no reason to tank.....ever.  If it happens it happens, but would you want to be a player on a team told to lose?

Archived