The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Alex Burrows to Senators for Jonathan Dahlen

2 minutes ago, theminister said:

Plus Granlund and Baertschi which were both receiving of lukewarm responses from many.

Then they crapped on the Lack trade and Brisebois pick. Then the Lockwood pick.

He's been rebuilding the whole time while burning NTC years. Some of us noticed, some didn't at the time, some still don't. 

:lol:

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

@DeNiro you were once one of my favourite posters during the MG era lately your posting has been on Alf level. Blame Blame Blame Troll troll troll the odd pearl. I get it you prob need a break your a good Fan. Take a couple steps back and accept we are rebuilding inspite of the media mantra stay competitive BS JB and Trev have to spew to keep this market from imploding. WD is sandbagging its so obvious he's not inept its calculated or WD would have been fired long ago. He's following his mandate . When the team is ready to take the next step we won't be seeing Megna and Chaput out at the end of games were down 1-0

Alf feels hurt.  :bigblush:

I love Burr too, and I'm now cheer for Ottawa.  I do like the trade though.  We need to get younger, and Burr was old.  

17 minutes ago, Stelar said:

If you had your choice today of Kesler or Vrbata coming back who would you take?

not saying I support WD but Torts was a disaster 

I know you're not asking me, but I wouldn't take either.

Kesler is the better player top to bottom but his me-first attitude pollutes a room, and that's incredibly destructive when you're trying to build a new team around a bunch of kids.

Vrbata has his head on straight but is a one-trick pony. (even then)

I'm quite happy with what happened today because it's what NEEDS to happen.
Out with the old and in with the new.  I'll be ecstatic if that trend continues tomorrow and we gain a couple more prospects/picks for what's left of our old core.

Even if it means this team takes another dip before it starts to rise again, at least you know that help is coming and it's not just a pipe dream because too many hangers on are still being hung on to by the cats playing in the closet. 

57 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not the same squad.

Willie had Vrbata having a career year and Miller and Lack playing very well that year.

Torts also had a rash of injuries that year.

The way the team was playing under Torts, they looked so drained. While injuries may take their toll, we've almost always have had times with multiple injuries year after year. Tort's reign was not due to injuries but due to Torts himself. Remember the interview with Burrows saying how he felt Torts was "weird" among other things?

Not only that, but is a Vrbata career year supposed to be better than Kesler? Plus we had Luongo and Lack during Tort's year.... not exactly much different there considering all of that. Your argument is rather bias in my opinion as you're turning a blind eye to what Torts had (I actually think Torts had more than WD had his first year).

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The way the team was playing under Torts, they looked so drained.

I often wondered if that wasn't intentional.
He is famously on record as saying the teams core was slate and way past it's due.
It just made me curious whether he was purposefully playing a lot of the older guys WAY more - not to mention telling them to stand in front of every shot against - simply to burn them out and get rid of them.
You're right. Guys WERE exhausted, and by mid-season they were all busted up. He was acting like all the players were 20 years old. Sedins were what over 25 min a night at times? That's crazy. It's a testament to them that they survived that relatively unscathed. 

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because I don't agree with your opinion I'm trolling?

Welcome to a fan board, people are going to have different opinions. We all want the same thing though, we don't need to turn on each other.

I'm not against you but I'm not super stoked on you doom and gloom attitude towards management coaching and our prospects. There was a time when you would give the benefit of a doubt and post about the small victories and find silver linings. I remember you once defended the acquisition of Marco Sturm when that huge failure happened.

11 minutes ago, chucky's head said:

As a Canucks fan who lives in Ottawa, this couldn't get any better for me. Love the return and I get to cheer on a favourite in Burrows in the playoffs! 

Aside from Boston, there hasn't really been an Eastern team that has tasted his fine cuisine in the post-season. 

He is gonna drive other teams over there bananas. :towel:

Posted this in the "Burrows? Do We Really Need Him" Thread and will do so here too..

Oh man..I don't know where to begin..such a bittersweet day - growing up watching the core that you cheered for so passionately slowly being shipped out one by one...love that we're getting younger and also a little sh#tty to see fan favourites leave..

Things I love and will remember about Burrows

• being part of the Three musketeers and breaking into the league with Ryan Kesler and Kevin Bieksa - loved the bromance they had together
  • being an annoying pest and annoying the sh#t out of opponents (sometimes crossing the line - but you can tell that he really matured over the years) 
  • his overtime goal vs the Blues to seal the series in the first round and his arrow tribute to Bourdon
  • becoming the third Sedin and ripping it up with them
  • SLAYING THE DRAGON GAME 7 OVERTIME Vs. Chicago - ONE OF MY PROUDEST MOMENTS AS A CANUCK FAN - I remember tears streaming down my face automatically when he slapped the rolling puck past Crawford..
  • his Game 2 Overtime goal vs. Boston in the SCF finals
  • his amazing penalty killing - he must have racked up a lot of short handed goals over his time here..
  • his involvement in the community - especially the mental health initiatives this year 
  • his humor, work ethic, and his great story of going from the ECHL to the NHL

Thank you Burrows for being a big part of my early teens throughout to my early adulthood - you were one of my heroes during your time here and I wish you all the best with the Senators. Thank you for the 12 years Burr :)

On the other hand, props to Jim Benning for getting what seems like a highly touted young player - I just got home from work and haven't done much research. But from what I hear, he had an amazing world juniors and is tearing it up in the league he's part of this year. 

Here's to hoping that Jim can keep it up and deal Hansen for a big return!! Suck it JB haters.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I'm not against you but I'm not super stoked on you doom and gloom attitude towards management coaching and our prospects. There was a time when you would give the benefit of a doubt and post about the small victories and find silver linings. I remember you once defended the acquisition of Marco Sturm when that huge failure happened.

I criticize the moves that I think deserve to be criticized and praise the ones that deserve praising, like this one.

If that makes me "doom and gloom" so be it.

32 minutes ago, theminister said:

Plus Granlund and Baertschi which were both receiving of lukewarm responses from many.

Then they crapped on the Lack trade and Brisebois pick. Then the Lockwood pick.

He's been rebuilding the whole time while burning NTC years. Some of us noticed, some didn't at the time, some still don't. 

Plus McEneny

2 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I often wondered if that wasn't intentional.
He is famously on record as saying the teams core was slate and way past it's due.
It just made me curious whether he was purposefully playing a lot of the older guys WAY more - not to mention telling them to stand in front of every shot against - simply to burn them out and get rid of them.
You're right. Guys WERE exhausted, and by mid-season they were all busted up. He was acting like all the players were 20 years old. Sedins were what over 25 min a night at times? That's crazy. It's a testament to them that they survived that relatively unscathed. 

I think the biggest irony in all of that was how Torts was reportedly supposed to make the team "younger" by bringing in our young players and he played our older players instead. Granted we didn't really have a great cupboard of prospects at the time, but still, kind of important to bring in whoever you can to prove themselves yes?

24 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I know you're not asking me, but I wouldn't take either.

Kesler is the better player top to bottom but his me-first attitude pollutes a room, and that's incredibly destructive when you're trying to build a new team around a bunch of kids.

Vrbata has his head on straight but is a one-trick pony. (even then)

I'm quite happy with what happened today because it's what NEEDS to happen.
Out with the old and in with the new.  I'll be ecstatic if that trend continues tomorrow and we gain a couple more prospects/picks for what's left of our old core.

Even if it means this team takes another dip before it starts to rise again, at least you know that help is coming and it's not just a pipe dream because too many hangers on are still being hung on to by the cats playing in the closet. 

I wouldn't take either as well, just trying to point out that Kesler is twice the player Vrbata is 

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

On a more topic related note, I think Benning committed highway robbery this time. Dahlen looks likes an amazing player to get for Burrows. I don't always have an opinion on these trades right away but wow....

Go visit senators hf boards.

They are not happy to say the least lol. It's kind of funny.

"I know lots about Jonathan Dahlen. He's a good goal-scorer, smart around the net, knows how to get open." - Craig Button

"If Dahlen was a little bit better skater last year in his draft year, there's a really good chance he's a first-round draft pick." - Button

"I think Benning made a great trade getting a really good, young prospect. Jonathan Dahlen scores and pay a price to score." - Button

"A top 6 forward in the NHL - a guy that can score goals. The Ottawa Senators traded a really good prospect." - Button

Archived