The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Travis Green new head coach

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think it is ok if it gets uglier. If fans see a light at the end of the tunnel and see the young guys gaining experience and confidence and growing as players, I think it makes the tough times easier.

Benning needs to stop looking for quick fixes and stay on the path to get young guys into the lineup and playing. Green needs to step in with the confidence to look at the long game and not succumb to the immediacy to get wins. If they follow that model I think Green has a much better chance at becoming the coach we need.

I am not convinced this is a great move but am willing to give him some time to see what happens. He just needs to differentiate himself from Desjardins especially when it comes to deployment and strategy. He needs to be his own coach now and I hope he will do so.

Good post.  Am curious as to how he deploys the Sedins ( does he try splitting them up? Who from Utica does he play on their wing) and handles Horvats obvious ascension.  Would be over the moon if the coach staff used Bo's line in the same way AV used the Sedins ie pure offense with Boesser.  This is the part of his game that he could hone during our rebuild so when he's enivitably given a second line defensive selke like role his offense will be tuned right up.  

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Good post.  Am curious as to how he deploys the Sedins ( does he try splitting them up? Who from Utica does he play on their wing) and handles Horvats obvious ascension.  Would be over the moon if the coach staff used Bo's line in the same way AV used the Sedins ie pure offense with Boesser.  This is the part of his game that he could hone during our rebuild so when he's enivitably given a second line defensive selke like role his offense will be tuned right up.  

I know for me he would earn a lot of respect from me early on even by trying different things with the Sedins. They may not work but it would show his willingness to do whatever he thinks it will take to improve the team. 

Unlike many, I don't see that as disrespectful to the Sedins. 

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

What Boeser needs is a play making center that can feed him the puck...the Sedins and their cycle game will not work well with Boeser. It will waste Boeser's talent, which is a sniper.

There's been one other time that I wasn't 100% on board with management decisions, the first time was the Shink trade and this would be the second time. I don't see how Linden, Benning, and Green can compete with the likes of Mclellan, Chiarelli, and Nicholson/MacT or Shanahan, Babcock, and Lamoriello. I hope I'm wrong again, I'd love to see Travis Green turn our rookies into stars and Benning continue to draft well, but I feel like there's a piece missing at the highest level, a true veteran leader (TOR has 3..smh).

7 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

ITT: A whole bunch of people who never watched Utica complaining about a coach they've never seen.

Green is not WD.  He played a similar system because he had a team of grinders and he was asked to by management.  End of story.

Good point.  And we need a coach willing to take some direction from management.  A veteran guy might repeat the WD fiasco and insist on icing a lineup full of plugs.

45 minutes ago, Pete M said:

What Boeser needs is a play making center that can feed him the puck...the Sedins and their cycle game will not work well with Boeser. It will waste Boeser's talent, which is a sniper.

You bet the post in question I assumed he would play with Horvat in the meantime.  Worded it a bit poorly, AV would put the Sedins in the offensive zone 75% of the time...Which I would like Horvat and Boesser to experience to boost their offensive game during a time when the scoresheet won't matter as much.  The Sedins need a speedy winger who can get them the puck and back check like hell...Or split them up and have two elite passers on the top two lines.  

10 minutes ago, SamJamIam said:

...He played a similar system because he ... was asked to by management.  End of story.

Absolutely correct.  There will still be a bunch here who don't get that, though.  I'm even more impressed by how he was able to keep rolling with his lineups being essentially decimated by our 400ish games worth of call-ups.

i like it,he's from b.c.,played for a long time in the nhl.the canucks haven't had that in a coach since AV.he has a good irish name,something that seems to work with the canucks.the only negative i can see is he's a rookie coach at the nhl level.hey,even scotty bowman was a rookie at one time,i think the first year is going to be WD damage control though.if he gets the canucks to the playoffs despite that,he'll be coach of the year.  

44 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Fast forward 3 years later......."Canucks fired Travis Green.".

Thats more than a possibility...Regardless,to me..this feels like a really good hire..John Tortorella and Willie Desjardin have been the worst coaches for this team (not saying they are crappy coaches,but neither were the right fit for the roster at the time).

54 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Pure goal scorer I think you mean. Much more dynamic than a pure sniper. He'll find away to score as much from outside the circle as in front and around the net. I think having Bo as the driver and puck carrier into the offensive zone has worked so far for Boeser as he is good at finding the open space. I do agree that the Sedin's aren't the right fit for a Brock though. 

54 minutes ago, TheSecretIsMe said:

There's been one other time that I wasn't 100% on board with management decisions, the first time was the Shink trade and this would be the second time. I don't see how Linden, Benning, and Green can compete with the likes of Mclellan, Chiarelli, and Nicholson/MacT or Shanahan, Babcock, and Lamoriello. I hope I'm wrong again, I'd love to see Travis Green turn our rookies into stars and Benning continue to draft well, but I feel like there's a piece missing at the highest level, a true veteran leader (TOR has 3..smh).

Well you were dead wrong on the Shink trade, so that bodes well for the hiring of Green

11 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Thats more than a possibility...Regardless,to me..this feels like a really good hire..John Tortorella and Willie Desjardin have been the worst coaches for this team (not saying they are crappy coaches,but neither were the right fit for the roster at the time).

The only reason why Tortorella didn't work out here because this team is to soft and we're babied under AV, and cried to management because they couldn't handle being pushed, pretty sad actually but it was the team not the coach. 

Good more inexperience coach with 0 NHL coaching experience not even assistance. How many 0 experience coach have success in this league. Ya not that many. It's also not like he did much in our youth development.. I put 0 of the success the current young players on the team on him.. and those that are in Utica none made a huge progress.. oh well on the bright side we'll probably be in the lottery for the next few years. If you guys are saying he didn't get much to work with in Utica? Well he ain't getting much to work with in Vancouver 

5 hours ago, Remy said:

Yeah, I'll take a stab at it. I don't know how long you've been a fan of this team, but the answer to your question is within recent memory on our own team: Alain Vigneault. 

Back in 2006 the core of the 2011 Cup run was just starting to come together, and they were led by a coach that had minimal NHL experience. In fact, Alain was our AHL coach the year prior.

I think it worked out just fine, don't you? 

That minimal NHL experience included years as an assistant coach and years as a head coach, along with a Jack Adams nomination. Quite a bit different from Green.

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The only reason why Tortorella didn't work out here because this team is to soft and we're babied under AV, and cried to management because they couldn't handle being pushed, pretty sad actually but it was the team not the coach. 

Yeah, the fact that Torts wouldn't stick around the rink longer than he absolutely had to and chose to live in Point Roberts had absolutely nothing to do with it.

20 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The team didn't send him to Calgary's locker room to pick a fight....

Torts is a head case. 

9 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Would have rather us went to the vet Marc Crawford.

Nothing against Green, but I want someone who has 'been there, done that' working with the rookies.

I don't like the idea of another rookie coach, leading the way for a bunch of rookies.  

I agree. Crawford had the Canucks playing high tempo entertaining hockey. If only he had a goalie of the Luongo, Schneider or Millers ilk back then. That team would have made a cup finals I'm fairly certain

Archived