The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign D Andrey Pedan [1 year deal]

He had a real up and down year in Utica last season, but now has a big opportunity to make the team with Tryamkin gone. He's one of those players that has all the tools to make it (mobile, big, great shot, physical) but is a little lacking in the hockey sense to put it all together. Hopefully he has a great summer training-wise and comes to camp ready to put last year behind him and force his way onto the team in a 6/7 role.

One thing he'll have to do is control his temper and not chase the hit at the NHL level, something Tryamkin was able to do very well. If he can manage that he could be a very effective component on a back end that's really lacking in physicality.

His window has re-opened with Tram leaving. He's an extremely long shot to make the team out of camp, but if he has a great season in Utica, he could earn a call up when inevitable injuries come.

With Travis at the helm, would like to think Andrey's past with Green will allow him to play games this next season.

He wasn't given much chance to show his stuff, want to see more of it, really like his physicality and mobility for such a big guy.

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'd say his shot isn't as long as you'd make it to be, and provided he demonstrates his speed and a half-decent first pass out of the zone, as well as a willingness to use his size, and he'd be golden.  (Or perhaps a Golden Knight? :P )

I'm just concerned because it looked he regressed a lot last year. We have a pretty deep defense core, so he has to beat a lot of guys to make the team.

*not actual lines, just listing players

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Gudbranson-Sbisa (may be taken by LV)

Biega-Subban

Juolevi-McEneny

Pedan has to beat at least 5 of those players (or 4 if Sbisa is taken) to make the starting roster at the #6 spot. Based on how he played last year, I don't see that happening. If he goes back to his 2015-16 form or even better, improves on that, he might have a shot. Worth noting is that Gud and McEneny are both RFAs, but I expect both to be re-signed. If Pedan does make it, I see him spending a lot of time in the press box as the #7 guy, as then he would only have to beat 3 or 4 of those guys.

FWIW, I think Pedan's skillset transfers to the NHL much easier than Subban's, Juolevi's, and McEneny's, which does give him a leg up. If Sbisa is taken, Pedan could very well be our #7 guy.

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With Travis at the helm, would like to think Andrey's past with Green will allow him to play games this next season.

He wasn't given much chance to show his stuff, want to see more of it, really like his physicality and mobility for such a big guy.

To some degree that might be true, but it could also hurt Pedan. He was a healthy scratch under Green at some points last year. Doesn't seem to be in his good books.

25 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Awesome now this makes Tanev expendable   :wub:

Hate to break it to you but Tanev could play better defense with a broken arm and two broken legs than Pedan........but here's hoping his D play gets better next season.  

CapFriendly‏ @CapFriendly  24m24 minutes ago

Andrey Pedan #Canucks 1 year Extension for 2017-18

NHL: $750,000

Minor: $200,000 * $300K guaranteed at the minor level

C-7aWwLWsAAGfrA.jpg

Jeff Paterson‏ @patersonjeff  38s38 seconds ago

can see Pedan getting a look: *with no Tryamkin *if Sbisa goes to Vegas #Canucks will need some size on D. May be his best shot yet

We've got room on our blue line for a guy with his size and maneuverability, it's up to him to show management he can be that guy. If he can bring that sandpaper and meanness he often showed in the lower leagues it'd help his case too.

Could see him being a #7 or a #8 guy for us. I imagine he'll get at least a few call ups by Green when we inevitably get hit by injuries again too.

22 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Hate to break it to you but Tanev could play better defense with a broken arm and two broken legs than Pedan........but here's hoping his D play gets better next season.  

Funny thing is, Tanev was out half the season because he was repairing from one injury or the other.. unless he puts on 15 lbs he won't survive the west.

Archived