The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

You are sure about that are you? It couldn't possibly be that players saw Churla cheap shot Bure until Bure had enough and gave Churla a career ending concussion? It must be the mob?

That wasn't career ending, he played the next game as well. I can't remember which game it was but Churla cross checked Bure in the back of the head and then those two were trash talking constantly. Wow what good times :)

Pettersson's going through a phase of his career that almost every young skilled player goes through. The Sedins endured it for most of their season and, while they did get Burrows/Carter etc. from time to time step up and protect them, later in their career they really just had to take the hits and hurt the other team on the powerplay. Sadly Petey is going to have to do the same thing under this coach but it's good to see him go after other players a bit with late hits and a swing of his stick today against Calgary.

I hope the games against Boston and Calgary made him angry, and over the off-season he beefs up a bit more and takes matters into his own hands. Would love to see him not only protect himself, but throw a dirty elbow or slash here and there. Other teams have to learn that he's not an easy target the way the Sedins were. The Sedins very rarely hit back but it's good to see Pettersson doing it already. The kid's got a lot of pride and character and I think we're going to see a big evolution from him in the next 12 months.

• Wat 1

at the start of the season i predicted this would be a tough year with extra attention from the other teams. That it ends up this way towards the deciding games at the end of the season is how i thought it would be the entire season. Up untill now hes been succesful but now the other teams are getting desperate and pushes the limits. I do hope u get stricter calls from the reffs or Nucks will be forced to take the law into their own hands. This is getting dangerously close to getting injured. I hope Petey adjusts and doesnt relax at any given moment. id say the hit in boston has been a good lesson for that. And against calgary u see how the reast of the season will be against teams fighting for a playoff spot. 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, Alflives said:

I get the concept, but NO WAY should Petey be throwing fists.  He needs to use his stick, and carve.  

Theo Fleury was given good advice by a tough teammate.  Use your stick to defend yourself.  They would less likely go after you if they know you will retaliate.  Petty is learning to swing his stick and hit back.  Wait until he is 205 lbs. 

Realistically, Pete is going to have to deal with the extra physical attention as we march to the play-off.  Pete is a smart guy and understands the games are going to get harder and more Physical

Edited by dpn1

7 minutes ago, Rossland said:

If we had Lucic, Elias would have one less concussion right now. Probably one less injured knee as well.

Probably not.

You see other teams stop targeting Calgary's star players because Lucic is there? Did McDavid get less whacks when he was there (on top of Kassian)?

Star players will always attract physical 'attention' regardless of who else might be on there roster. All those guys do is offer some level of potential retribution. They don't 'stop' anything.

30 minutes ago, Rossland said:

If we had Lucic, Elias would have one less concussion right now. Probably one less injured knee as well.

Unlikely.

This team could be composed of 23 Lucics and any time something happens people will complain about not being tough enough.

Edited by Bitter Melon

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Lucic doesn't prevent anything anymore. By the time he skates to the problem....the arena lights have shut out. Come on.....

:picard:

Elias gets slashed. Elias slashes back harder. Elias gets roughed up for slashing back harder. Next time Elias thinks twice about slashing back at all. Open season on Elias.

Nobody will escalate with Lucic on the ice so Elias can slash back as hard as he wants because someone has his back. Tada....it's no fun slashing Elias anymore, so it stops happening.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, Rossland said:

Elias gets slashed. Elias slashes back harder. Elias gets roughed up for slashing back harder. Next time Elias thinks twice about slashing back at all. Open season on Elias.

Nobody will escalate with Lucic on the ice so Elias can slash back as hard as he wants because someone has his back. Tada....it's no fun slashing Elias anymore, so it stops happening.

Are you suggesting we play that mongoloid on our top line? Cmon man.

I'm all for being a meaner team, but not at the cost of winning games. 

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rossland said:

Sure pal.  :picard:

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Are you suggesting we play that mongoloid on our top line? Cmon man.

I'm all for being a meaner team, but not at the cost of winning games. 

A line of Elias  Miller and Lucic would do just as well as that line with Boeser, and there wouldn't be extraneous hacking going on. Boeser would be free to play with Bo. 

11 hours ago, Rossland said:

All problems will be fixed when Tryamkin comes back.

1 hour ago, Rossland said:

A line of Elias  Miller and Lucic would do just as well as that line with Boeser, and there wouldn't be extraneous hacking going on. Boeser would be free to play with Bo. 

Do you honestly believe Lucic would play just as well as Boeser on the first line? He couldn't even perform well enough with McDavid.

• Cheers 1