The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Michael Ferland

46 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

One of the benefits of being a playoff team.

Apparently Treliving is really good at not overpaying players, however, if Troy Brouwer were here making 4.5 million and scoring 25 pts the sky would be falling - (while somehow Brandon Sutter isn't worth 4.375 if you listen to the majority of posters around here).  Go figure.

That said, I think Treliving is a good GM - and I would have taken Brouwer at that cap hit as well.

Ferland was a 15 g, 25 pt guy himself - he signed quite a team friendly deal imo.

14 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Whoa so cheap! Wonder why.

Just cause it is 2 years.  When this first came out on the flames forums, there was a conflicting report that it was $3.5 per year.  Some Flames fans still loved it.

1 minute ago, BCNeil said:

Just cause it is 2 years.  When this first came out on the flames forums, there was a conflicting report that it was $3.5 per year.  Some Flames fans still loved it.

Maybe it's going to be his 'show me' contract and cash in big on the 3rd year negotiations. But I don't think he needs to show anyone anything more. Maybe he lives off the grid in the off season.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

Apparently Treliving is really good at not overpaying players, however, if Troy Brouwer were here making 4.5 million and scoring 25 pts the sky would be falling - (while somehow Brandon Sutter isn't worth 4.375 if you listen to the majority of posters around here).  Go figure.

That said, I think Treliving is a good GM - and I would have taken Brouwer at that cap hit as well.

Ferland was a 15 g, 25 pt guy himself - he signed quite a team friendly deal imo.

King of straw. Apparently stating a gm has been good at signing players a good value is the same as saying he's never made a single mistake. 

Yes brouwer is over priced. he's s lot like eriksson. A ufa signing (which are typically always over priced) that hasn't lived up to the contract. Could he turn it around. Maybe but it's still a overpriced contract. Gio is also going to be overpriced at the end of his term. 

Johnny, Sean, versteeg, ferklund, Hamilton, Brodie, are all players brad has had to resign. And he's been able to all get them below market value and lock up his core at a reasonable rate. He's done a good job

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yes brouwer is over priced. he's s lot like eriksson. A ufa signing (which are typically always over priced) that hasn't lived up to the contract. Could he turn it around. Maybe but it's still a overpriced contract. Gio is also going to be overpriced at the end of his term. 

Good comparison. Brouwer is exactly 1 month younger than Eriksson. And both had similar offensive outputs this past season.

The difference is, Brouwer only has 3 years left on his contract at 4.5 mil per. He will at least be gone by the time he's 34. Eriksson's cap hit is 33% higher, and his contract takes him to 36.

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

Bang on with Sutter comment. 

I have liked Ferland since he knocked the Canucks on their butts a few years back. He had to play that game to stick and now his talent is taking over. I was hoping that Virtanen would be going to the Ferland summer camp. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I was hoping that Virtanen would be going to the Ferland summer camp. 

Problem is virtanen actually has to follow the rules. I've seen ferkland dish out super late hits while leaving his feet with no consequences.

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

Problem is virtanen actually has to follow the rules. I've seen ferkland dish out super late hits while leaving his feet with no consequences.

You mean all his hits in that Canucks - Flames playoff series a few years back? Yeah.

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

This happened numerous times during the playoff series versus Calgary. The zebras did squat.

All the more reason to have Gudbranson.

Archived