The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Seattle to begin season ticket drive, aiming for 2021 entry to NHL

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

I think “Thunder” is a winner. Send it in Ghosts

“Thunder” is incredibly generic, the identity steps on the toes of Tampa, and given the fate of the Sonics I think Thunder is the last name in the world Seattleites would want to be cheering on.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

“Thunder” is incredibly generic, the identity steps on the toes of Tampa, and given the fate of the Sonics I think Thunder is the last name in the world Seattleites would want to be cheering on.

Considering Boeing has a long history with Seattle, Sonics, and Thunder are pretty appropriate. If a professional team in Vancouver called themselves Voodoo, Ravens, or Grizzlies I'd have no problem with it. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

Didn't see this posted from a few days ago. It's a formality more than something to celebrate, but it still needed to be done. 

SEATTLE (AP) — The group looking to bring professional hockey to Seattle has taken the next step in the pursuit of an NHL franchise. The Oak View Group and its prospective NHL ownership group, led by billionaire David Bonderman and filmmaker Jerry Bruckheimer, submitted its expansion application with the National Hockey League on Tuesday.

”We are excited for the next steps in the process and our continued partnership with the City of Seattle,” Oak View CEO Tim Leiweke said in a statement. The expansion application has been expected for weeks and is the next step in Seattle’s ongoing hope of bringing an NHL franchise to the largest market in the United States without a professional winter sports franchise. The filing also included a $10 million deposit. Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan also tweeted her excitement about Oak View’s filing with the NHL.

If Seattle is successful in its expansion bid, the new franchise would bring the league to an even 32 teams with 16 in each conference. A new team would also yield a hefty expansion fee – in the neighborhood of $650 million. The expansion application is a procedural step that was necessary to validate Oak View’s intent on making Seattle the next NHL market. Seattle’s application will be reviewed and ultimately the league’s executive committee will make a recommendation to the full NHL Board of Governors. The timeline for that is unknown.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/02/13/report-seattle-group-applies-for-nhl-expansion/

On 2/14/2018 at 5:33 PM, The Great Canucks said:

So, if/when Seattle gets a team, will their first season be 2020-2021?

Also mentioned in the article I posted is the uncertainty surrounding the aggressive remodel timeline of 2020 being met in time to play that season, but yeah, that's almost definitively the earliest they'd be able to join.

Edited by Green Building

On 07/12/2017 at 3:04 PM, Shift-4 said:

I am not convinced Seattle has enough interest.

The place does not scream hockey hotbed to me. lol

The thunderbirds do well.

So do the Everett silvertips.

I see canucks merchandise for sale in malls in northwest Washington.

Seattle would be a great success in my opinion and an instant regional rival for us.

Hope it happens.

• Upvote 1

It's official!  I say game on, and welcome Seattle (Tim Horton's is still better than Starbucks) :P

LOCAL

Seattle Mayor Durkan announces NHL season ticket sales

Deposits go on sale March 1.

Author: Chris Daniels, KING 5
Published: 12:08 PM PST February 20, 2018

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan officially announced a season ticket drive for a future NHL franchise will begin March 1.

Deposits will be $500 and accepted through nhlseattle.com, beginning at 10 a.m..

The deposits are seen as a key barometer as to whether the league will award a franchise.

The Oak View Group submitted their application on February 13, in hopes to begin play in 2020.

http://www.king5.com/article/news/local/seattle-mayor-durkan-announces-nhl-season-ticket-sales/281-521106694

Oh baby!  Boy am I excited!  I'm really curious based on area on who goes to Vancouver to see the Canucks or Seattle for hockey.  Such as will people who live in Bellingham go to Vancouver cause it's closer?  And what about people who live in the lower part of Vancouver Island?  I find it much more convenient to take the Clipper to Seattle than to go up to Swartz Bay and take the ferry over, and then drive or take the bus and then Canada Line to Vancouver depending how you are getting there.  I live in Seattle, but I know how to take public transportation from Vancouver to Victoria and vice versa, or the unique Brilac route of getting to places.

On 2018-02-20 at 12:21 PM, Keenan's Moustache said:
It's official!  I say game on, and welcome Seattle (Tim Horton's is still better than Starbucks) :P

LOCAL

Seattle Mayor Durkan announces NHL season ticket sales

Deposits go on sale March 1.

Author: Chris Daniels, KING 5
Published: 12:08 PM PST February 20, 2018

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan officially announced a season ticket drive for a future NHL franchise will begin March 1.

Deposits will be $500 and accepted through nhlseattle.com, beginning at 10 a.m..

The deposits are seen as a key barometer as to whether the league will award a franchise.

The Oak View Group submitted their application on February 13, in hopes to begin play in 2020.

http://www.king5.com/article/news/local/seattle-mayor-durkan-announces-nhl-season-ticket-sales/281-521106694

Just saw the Commercial in between periods of the NSH vs StL game for Seattle selling tickets..  awesome!

long overdue.    Portland next?   

See some names going around for the team here...   hope they talk to the local First Nations in Seattle, wasn’t he a great CHIEF ??

The Seattle Chiefs ...  could be a proud name if done correctly.. kinda nostalgic too.

Directly from Wikipedia:

Chief Seattle (c. 1786 – June 7, 1866) was a Suquamish Tribe (Suquamish) and Dkhw'Duw'Absh (Duwamish) chief.[2] A prominent figure among his people, he pursued a path of accommodation to white settlers, forming a personal relationship with "Doc" Maynard. The city of Seattle, in the U.S. state of Washington, was named after him. A widely publicized speech arguing in favor of ecological responsibility and respect of Native Americans' land rights had been attributed to him. However, what he actually said has been lost through translation and rewriting.

Edited by SilentSam

On 2/13/2018 at 7:16 PM, Rush17 said:

Perfect timing.  We should just start peaking in 20-21.  Be a great way to start off the rivalry. I would be shocked if they got such a good start based on how vegas manage to manipulate teams into giving them assets.  FLA gifted them 2 decent scorers which has greatly aided their team.

It really depends on what kind of GM, and coach they will hire...  I think Vegas was fortunate to hire the right person on time...

Imagine Mike Gillis for the Seattle's GM... 

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Just saw the Commercial in between periods of the NSH vs StL game for Seattle selling tickets..  awesome!

long overdue.    Portland next?   

See some names going around for the team here...   hope they talk to the local First Nations in Seattle, wasn’t he a great CHIEF ??

The Seattle Chiefs ...  could be a proud name if done correctly.. kinda nostalgic too.

Directly from Wikipedia:

Chief Seattle (c. 1786 – June 7, 1866) was a Suquamish Tribe (Suquamish) and Dkhw'Duw'Absh (Duwamish) chief.[2] A prominent figure among his people, he pursued a path of accommodation to white settlers, forming a personal relationship with "Doc" Maynard. The city of Seattle, in the U.S. state of Washington, was named after him. A widely publicized speech arguing in favor of ecological responsibility and respect of Native Americans' land rights had been attributed to him. However, what he actually said has been lost through translation and rewriting.

That wouldn't be bad.. But, what about the whole Indigenous ordeal have been going on lately across the Pro Sports?? North Dakota ditched the "Fighting Sioux..." Cleveland ditched Wahoo for good, and Washington Redskins are in the middle of this mess too. 

2 minutes ago, Crimson-JH said:

That wouldn't be bad.. But, what about the whole Indigenous ordeal have been going on lately across the Pro Sports?? North Dakota ditched the "Fighting Sioux..." Cleveland ditched Wahoo for good, and Washington Redskins are in the middle of this mess too. 

I think their would be a way of doing it properly, respectfully and with a blessing from their First Nations..  there are ways to make it Honourable.

The Seattle Chief

On 12/7/2017 at 3:12 PM, SabreFan1 said:

Seattle doesn't deserve a team over Quebec.  Period.  An NHL team is their distant second choice.  That new building is their way of trying to get their basketball team back.

https://sports.yahoo.com/hope-alive-seattles-quest-get-another-nba-team-041200484.html

For a fans prespective, yes Seattle probably wont have the same passionate fanbase but from a business standpoint, Seattle makes a LOT of sense. Im not sure if you've been to many Seattle sporting events, but I have, Huskies, Seahawks, Sounders, Seattle is an amazing sports town. Trust me, even if the Huskies are playing a joe blow team, there is an absolute buzz in the city. The arena is in a good location, and one the biggest equalizers for a luke warm fanbase is sponsorship revenue. Seattle is booming especially with the tech giants like amazon and microsoft there, and a lot of the tech sector moving up stream, there will be no shortage in sponsor revenue. As much as there wont be a rabid fanbase, money is all that matters in the end.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

For a fans prespective, yes Seattle probably wont have the same passionate fanbase but from a business standpoint, Seattle makes a LOT of sense. Im not sure if you've been to many Seattle sporting events, but I have, Huskies, Seahawks, Sounders, Seattle is an amazing sports town. Trust me, even if the Huskies are playing a joe blow team, there is an absolute buzz in the city. The arena is in a good location, and one the biggest equalizers for a luke warm fanbase is sponsorship revenue. Seattle is booming especially with the tech giants like amazon and microsoft there, and a lot of the tech sector moving up stream, there will be no shortage in sponsor revenue. As much as there wont be a rabid fanbase, money is all that matters in the end.

Dunno if you kept reading but others made the same point and I ended up agreeing that for now, the cash is important and QC can/will eventually get a relocated team....

On 2018-02-25 at 7:12 PM, SilentSam said:

I think their would be a way of doing it properly, respectfully and with a blessing from their First Nations..  there are ways to make it Honourable.

The Seattle Chief

If they go for native imagery, they should do so respectfully, but the name 'Chiefs' itself isn't offensive at all, and actually has nothing to do with indigenous peoples. Chiefs are ubiquitous throughout global cultures. The Vikings, Mongols, Anglo-Saxons, Zulu, Maori etc all had chiefs. It's just an English term for 'Boss', derived from the Latin word for 'head'. That's why the heads of fire halls and police departments are called 'Chief'.

If Seattle didn't want the name, it would have more to do with not wanting to risk Kansas City getting irked over taking their name. But I really hope they pick something else. There's a lot of cool potential for a name, it would be a shame for it to be squandered on something as generic as 'Chief'.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 25/02/2018 at 7:00 PM, Crimson-JH said:

It really depends on what kind of GM, and coach they will hire...  I think Vegas was fortunate to hire the right person on time...

Imagine Mike Gillis for the Seattle's GM... 

I've actually been thinking about GMMG in a front office role in Seattle for the last 2-3 years. Pretty sure AV will be out of a job in New York by then as well...

That would be wild, though!

Edited by Fakename70