The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Josh Bailey, NYI 6-Years $5M AAV

Oregon.Duck

That'll take him to 34. Hmm.

Wonder what the cap hit is gonna be, I can't see the Islanders jeopardizing their plans for Tavares. He'll get what he wants and the Islanders will move people to make it happen if they have to. Barzal looks good but they can't afford to lose Tavares at this point if they've got interest in the playoffs. 

He's healthy, he was a 56 point player last year on pace for 78 this year.  I can't see it being less than $5 million up from his $3.3 million last year

But if I am reading this right they've a ton of players to sign after next year and not much cap space to sign them all in

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/islanders

Tavares watch is now on 

Good deal for NYI. I thought it would be higher than that due to the season he's having but he's never had a year like this to date and he isn't exactly young, so I don't know that I'd count on him to repeat this next year. But $5M is good for NYI and 6 years is good for Bailey. Fair deal!

Not a bad deal for now and probably in the future. Cap is projected to go up.

Islanders have some good centerpieces in Tavares-Barzal to build around. Going to be interesting to see what happens over there.

Islanders ripped off Oilers (Barzal-Reinhart trade) pretty bad. It could have been McDavid-Draisaitl-Barzal that we go up against for the next decade. Phew.

I'm not a fan of this contract. He's the same age as Gagne, with roughly the same amount of games played and lower production (.57ppg vs .53ppg)

Yes he is having a great season but i highly doubt he keeps this up especially during years 4-6. Too much term for a player cashing in on one great season.

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's healthy, he was a 56 point player last year on pace for 78 this year.  I can't see it being less than $5 million up from his $3.3 million last year

But if I am reading this right they've a ton of players to sign after next year and not much cap space to sign them all in

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/islanders

Tavares watch is now on 

they have 26 mil left with a 75 mil cap including this deal, if it goes up to 80 they should be OK. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they have 26 mil left with a 75 mil cap including this deal, if it goes up to 80 they should be OK. 

It's the amount of players needing new contracts for their production that is going to be the issue.  Tavares is $10+ million alone.

There's a few RFA's and Pulock on his ELC as well as Nelson and Johnston.  Then the UFAs outside of Tavares that make up the important aspects of their team in DeHaan, Hickey and even Seidenberg on defense with currently solid contracts for their production needing raises and then of course that godawful goaltending issue while still knowing Barzal and Eberle will be in for new contracts just a year later

It's going to be very interesting over the next 18 months on the Island

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

It's the amount of players needing new contracts for their production that is going to be the issue.  Tavares is $10+ million alone.

There's a few RFA's and Pulock on his ELC as well as Nelson and Johnston.  Then the UFAs outside of Tavares that make up the important aspects of their team in DeHaan, Hickey and even Seidenberg on defense with currently solid contracts for their production needing raises and then of course that godawful goaltending issue while still knowing Barzal and Eberle will be in for new contracts just a year later

It's going to be very interesting over the next 18 months on the Island

as long as they don't take advice from Chiarelli I think they can do it, but yah there's a lot to get done there and they are going to have to lean on some of those high picks coming up sooner than later too. I'll enjoy seeing who Calgary gave up in the 1st and 2nd rounds :lol:

1 hour ago, khay said:

Not a bad deal for now and probably in the future. Cap is projected to go up.

Islanders have some good centerpieces in Tavares-Barzal to build around. Going to be interesting to see what happens over there.

Islanders ripped off Oilers (Barzal-Reinhart trade) pretty bad. It could have been McDavid-Draisaitl-Barzal that we go up against for the next decade. Phew.

Do people realize many teams passed on him? 

Archived