The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

2 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Absolutely agree. That’s why I was saying if “one of the sweeteners” was swapping picks and no the only sweetener. So in short, your proposal plus swapping picks.

And i I think it almost goes without saying that Loui would have to be going the other way. 

Gotcha it’s just a scary trade to think about 

I’m so nervous for what happens this summer 

• Cheers 1

Very good read here: 

https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-mock-draft-round-1/

Larry Fisher brings up some great points in his mock draft, many of which have already been mentioned on CDC, but still with a read. 

A few few interesting takeaways from this article (these are very brief notes):

- Turcotte goes to Chicago because he’s a hometown boy (a rarity for the Blackhawks) and to could be a great successor to the ageing Toews

- Podkolzin goes to Detroit because Yzerman has played with many great Russians and built a team of great Russians in Tampa. If there’s anyone who will see his value and not be sacred away by the Russian factor it’s Stevie Y. 

- Broberg goes to Buffalo because they like their Swedes, he could be good playing with Dahlin, and he’s got exceptional raw talent. It’s funny, I’ve seen Broberg play several times now and although I see his potential, I’d rather us go with a forward at 10, but Fisher’s points almost make me a Broberg believer :)

- Newhook goes to Vancouver because we don’t have many speedsters in the top six and that part of his game could really compliment our top six. 

Edited by YearoftheNuck

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

UFA signing EK?

I do have worries about his physical condition and the amount of term he would want.  It's next to impossible to acquire a top rd outside the draft, so it is an interesting idea, but a risky one as well.  It seems even harder to make a trade for one without paying through the nose. 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Trade for Lucic (taking sweeteners to do so)?

It would take an awful lot of 'sweeteners' for me to like that idea.  I don't know if the Coilers are that desperate.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

What about Sutter for Nuge and Lucic?  Oilers save big on their cap, and get a proper checking center?  Although I think we gent bent over on this one. 

That would work cause Nuge  has played wing and could be the play maker bo needs. I think oilers would say no though. 

28 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Two things I'll just throw out there that fit team needs (for both teams imo) and address two of JB's biggest concerns:

1.  Boeser for Dumba.  One for one hockey-trade if you will.  Immediately addresses our RD issues and gives Minny an immediate replacement for Zucker who they are actively shopping as we all know. 

2.  OJ for Tuch.  One for one hockey-trade again.  OJ is somewhat expendable if Dumba is acquired and Tuch fills an immediate top 6 role - gives JB a huge-bodied, young, 20-30 goal scorer on a cost-certain contract for the next 8 years.  Vegas needs cap relief badly and they could use some more depth in their organization on defence.   

I think both of the aforementioned trades are very realistic in terms of cost to the franchise vs. incoming value and are in no way one of the typical CDC "let us rip you off just because it's good for us and it works in EA sports bs". 

Would hurt to lose OJ and BB but imo this puts us solidly in the mix for a playoff spot next season and beyond and by no means does it gut our franchise of young talent or take on other GM's horrendous mistakes just to get a 'sweetner' thrown in. 

These are hockey trades that often times both team's fans hate, but they are fair trades.

It would be really hard to lose Boes, but what an upgrade on the defence that Dumba brings (and toughness).

I like Tuch on Pete's line as well and his cap hit is very nice.  We're not certain would Juolevi will bring, or Hughes for that matter.  Could be a bit risky.

This could be a nice d in a couple of years.

Hughes    Dumba

Edler     Woo

Tryamkin  Stecher  (could slot in a draft pick or prospect)

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Anyone else completely worried about jimbo and all these names that are surfacing ? Lucic, zaitsev, all the cap space he has scares me as well.

Why would it scare you?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Then it'll be one of the deals dependant on who's available at 8th before pulling the trigger. Benning and crew said there are like 4 or 5 guys they like in our range, so it's unlikely all are gone when 10 comes around.

The question then becomes if it's worth taking on an anchor that has an extra year to the deal than the anchor we have now. Then it should be factored that Edmonton is gaining on the fact that they dump a NMC of a guy who basically is giving them one team to move him to (considering he wants to be out West and close to family). Then there's the other factor that once LE's July 1st payout occurs, his deal will become that much more easily movable 

If Ottawa doesn’t want LE,  I think that will exhaust all our options, and I don’t see them giving up any picks or young talent to get him. 

I’m sure that JB liked Cody Glass too in that draft. Btw that comment that you’re referring to was a general statement I felt like because he was talking about liking 2-3 players at 5, and about 4-5 and no. 10. 

Might turn out to be a draft day deal though, agreed on that point. 

53 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Two things I'll just throw out there that fit team needs (for both teams imo) and address two of JB's biggest concerns:

1.  Boeser for Dumba.  One for one hockey-trade if you will.  Immediately addresses our RD issues and gives Minny an immediate replacement for Zucker who they are actively shopping as we all know. 

2.  OJ for Tuch.  One for one hockey-trade again.  OJ is somewhat expendable if Dumba is acquired and Tuch fills an immediate top 6 role - gives JB a huge-bodied, young, 20-30 goal scorer on a cost-certain contract for the next 8 years.  Vegas needs cap relief badly and they could use some more depth in their organization on defence.   

I think both of the aforementioned trades are very realistic in terms of cost to the franchise vs. incoming value and are in no way one of the typical CDC "let us rip you off just because it's good for us and it works in EA sports bs". 

Would hurt to lose OJ and BB but imo this puts us solidly in the mix for a playoff spot next season and beyond and by no means does it gut our franchise of young talent or take on other GM's horrendous mistakes just to get a 'sweetner' thrown in. 

Tuch is on a great contract, don't think he's the guy Vegas would be willing to move. If they're looking for cap relief, doesn't make sense to trade one of the best value deals they have going.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

If u have to pick btw Newhook and Krebs, who do you go for?  

Personally, after watching a lot of Newhook I'm officially sold on him.  Seems like a very mature young man too

I would be happy with either, Newhook seems to have a significantly high skill level.

Considering that Krebs will be showing up in Vancouver with a walking boot after Achilles surgery makes me think this guy has a real set on him......... ======> I want this guy.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/junior-hockey/report-krebs-has-torn-achilles-and-that-could-change-top-10-selections-in-nhl-draft

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I think he needs another year or even 2 to complete his vision of draft and develop. He inherited this team...

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/77/vancouver-canucks/2013-2014

Then this team somehow makes the playoffs and they realize, we have to get younger.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/77/vancouver-canucks/2014-2015

Pettersson and Hughes are 1C and 1D and I have faith that Demko is a 1G. Virtanen and Juolevi are good complimentary pieces to go along with late rounders like Gaudette and Madden.

Draft and develop is working and I would be upset if someone else came in and started trading away our young talent. The best teams are the ones who grow up together and I wouldn't trade anyone under 24.

And Bo is that big bodied checking center that puts up points.  The pieces are falling into place nicely.  Our owner needs to be patient and let JB build our next core properly.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And Bo is that big bodied checking center that puts up points.  The pieces are falling into place nicely.  Our owner needs to be patient and let JB build our next core properly.  

JB can't take credit for Bo and I was responding to a post about JB, but that is a huge piece to be gifted. Other than that the previous regime left him Hutton from the draft. Growing pains hurt, but this team is going to be a contender in a few years if they stay the course.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I think he needs another year or even 2 to complete his vision of draft and develop. He inherited this team...

Then this team somehow makes the playoffs and they realize, we have to get younger.

Pettersson and Hughes are 1C and 1D and I have faith that Demko is a 1G. Virtanen and Juolevi are good complimentary pieces to go along with late rounders like Gaudette and Madden.

Draft and develop is working and I would be upset if someone else came in and started trading away our young talent. The best teams are the ones who grow up together and I wouldn't trade anyone under 24.

Thank you. My sentiments exactly. Look at that 2013 lineup people. What was he supposed to do with that roster? We are one or two decent free agent signings and another astute draft pick away from being very competitive.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Well, he's a pretty smart guy surrounded by other pretty smart guys.  Despite the hand wringing and whining of the usual motley crew, he's made good decisions on all fronts and there's no reason to think otherwise this summer.

Well in fairness, he's also made bad decisions on all fronts. 

There's definitely pressure this summer to improve the team. Our lack of assets is a problem trade wise, but hopefully Jim can pull another rabbit out of his hat like he did with the Guddy/Pearson trade. 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

There's definitely pressure this summer to improve the team. Our lack of assets is a problem trade wise, but hopefully Jim can pull another rabbit out of his hat like he did with the Guddy/Pearson trade. 

Could you please give us a few examples of these “ Bad decisions on all fronts “ 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

I am truly most worried about Aquilini. He shouldn't have JB in the position going into an off season with only 1 year left on his deal. Considering where this team was when Jim and TL took over we should be happy with JB and our direction. That being said he can't repeat a LE 2.0 and sign Myers to 7x7 or something similar, but I believe he has learned that lesson.

You see it all the time. A GM in JB's position gets fired then the team succeeds a year or two later on the team that the former GM built.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2