The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank You Jim Benning.

Alexandre

On behalf of all Canuck fans, I thank you, Jim Benning. You are a godsend for those who have suffered throughout this franchise's 48-year history. Thank you for turning around our scouting department. Thank you for our deep and talented prospect pool. Thank you for our good young players. Thank you for our new found hope. A hope for a very silvery bright future.

Thanks, Jim Benning. You turned our scouting department around (Weisbrod deserves some thanks too). You revamped the scouting department. After a year of evaluation, you got rid of some ineffective scouts. Added new scouts. More importantly, you retained the good scouts and didn't just get rid of everyone like some GMs do. This surprised some, given the poor record of this group the past decade. You promoted a long time scout from amongst this maligned group, Judd Brackett, to Director of Amateur Scouting then allowed him to do his job.

I knew you could turn our scouting department around. You had the experience and intimate knowledge of being a scout and how a scouting department works. You got this experience by taking the long and difficult route. No shortcuts for you. Being a scout for five years (first year with St. Louis the rest with Buffalo) and Director of Amateur Scouting for six (all with Buffalo). I am sure the Sabres thanked you too for your long and successful stint there.

In the four years that you were a scout for Buffalo the average number of players they drafted that played 190 NHL games or more was 2.2 players/draft. In the subsequent 6 years as the Director of Amateur Scouting, they averaged 2.85 players/draft. The following 3 years after you left for Boston to become their assistant GM, Buffalo averaged 1.5 players/draft. 

The proof is in the pudding. You have transformed the Canucks from a team with very few good young NHL players and very few prospects of quality to one with a lot of good young NHL players and a lot of good quality prospects. Some of these young men you have drafted even have the potential of reaching star or even franchise levels.

Players/prospects 25 and under (2013/14)                        Players/prospects 25 and under (2018/2019)

Ben Hutton                                                                          Ben Hutton                                       Tyler Madden

Bo Horvat                                                                            Bo Horvat                                          Jett Woo

Chris Tanev                                                                         Brendan Gaunce                               Petrus Palmu

Brendan Gaunce                                                                 Quinn Hughes                                   Zack MacEwen

Zac Kassian                                                                         Elias Pettersson 

Ryan Stanton                                                                       Brock Boeser                                                                 

Yannick Weber                                                                     Sven Baertschi

Zac Dalpe                                                                             Markus Granlund

Nik Jensen                                                                           Troy Stecher

Jordan Schroeder                                                                 Derek Pouliot

Darren Archibald                                                                   Jake Virtanen

Kellan Lain                                                                            Brendan Leipsic

Frankie Corrado                                                                    Eric Gudbranson

Mike Zalewski                                                                        Nikolay Goldobin                                                                    Ronalds Kenins                                                                     Tyler Motte

Eddie Lack                                                                             Adam Gaudette

Jacob Markstrom                                                                   Oli Juolevi

Hunter Shinkaruk                                                                   Thatcher Demko

Anton Rodin                                                                           Jonathan Dhalen

Jordan Subban                                                                       Guillaume Brisebois                                                                 

Evan McEneny                                                                        Evan McEneny                                                                     

Anton Cederholm                                                                    Lukas Jasek 

Joe Labate                                                                              Micheal DiPietro         

Cole Cassels                                                                           William Lockwood

Yann Sauve                                                                             Kole Lind

Alexandre Mallet                                                                     Jack Rathbone

Joacim Eriksson                                                                      Jonah Gadjovich

Due to your successful stint in Buffalo, you were hired to be the Assistant GM of Boston in 2006. During your eight-year stay in Boston, you worked tirelessly like you always do, to help Chiarelli construct what would be the eventual Stanley Cup Championship team in 2011. Your resume speaks for itself.

Thank you, Jim Benning, for all your hard and excellent work here. You have been much maligned despite having achieved all you have. I have never been more hopeful and excited for a group of young players and prospects as the one you have assembled for us. I hope you receive the proper accolades and rewards when all your work here comes into fruition.

This is the best group of prospects I've seen in my lifetime of being a fan here.  Not only do we have a ton of talent, we have a huge variety of skillsets.    I hope he's allowed to finish what he's started instead of someone else coming in and taking all the credit.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

This is the best group of prospects I've seen in my lifetime of being a fan here.  Not only do we have a ton of talent, we have a huge variety of skillsets.    I hope he's allowed to finish what he's started instead of someone else coming in and taking all the credit.

So true. I hope he gets a lifetime extension when his next contract comes up. :P

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Well MG was close to building this but that f'n salary cap put an end to that...  however i'm glad JB pulled it off and i'm sure it'll get even better as we go along

Great post!

When Jimbo took over, my biggest concern was how we would fill the void of elite core players since we never luck out with the lottery.

But then JB went to work with our 2014 36th overall pick, 2015 23rd overall pick, 2017 5th overall pick and 2018 7th overall pick. Along with that, supplied our cupboards and team with many good players with other picks/acquisitions.

The neat thing about our prospects now is, we aren't hoping for them to become something well, they're proving themselves and are on trajectory to become their full potential.

Has JB made and bad moves or mistakes as a GM, of course you could argue that he has, but everyone makes mistakes and the biggest thing is learning from them. Love the direction the team is going in right now.

Fun times ahead for us Canucks fans. Block out all the hate and negativity and enjoy the ride, we'll be at the top soon enough.

:towel:

12 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well MG was close to building this but that f'n salary cap put an end to that...  however i'm glad JB pulled it off and i'm sure it'll get even better as we go along

Nonis/Burke got the core pieces.  Then Gillis took all the credit and then did a hell of a job of destroying the team with horrendous trades and drafting.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Nonis/Burke got the core pieces.  Then Gillis took all the credit and then did a hell of a job of destroying the team with horrendous trades and drafting.

Gillis did a fair bit of fine tuning on the blueline (Hamhuis & Ehrhoff).  And Tanev today (undrafted prospect by Gillis) currently is arguably still the best D on the blueline.

I’ll give him credit for draft picks once they have proven to translate into the NHL and be impact players.  Until then, almost every prospect in the first 2-3 seasons seem like amazing players until they stop developing

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Gillis was locking them in long term and NO ONE knew the cap was coming, if it didn't we'd have been in a lot better shape today but Benning is doing a great job of building it to where it could have been.

54 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Lol, ok man....

Mike Gillis took us to the finals and get a lot of frack. 

Jim Benning is in entering his 5th year at this rebuilding and we are still projected to be a bottom league team next year. 

I don't get all the praise going to Benning when he has not done anything concrete yet. I am just as exciting about all our prospects, but a cupboard full of prospects doesnt mean anything. Just look at all the other medicore teams like Arizona, Carolina, Buffalo. 

I guess ticket sales speak for itself. And until Benning does something solid (eg. Petterson and Boeser pans out to be 1st liners), I don't support these Benning loving posts at all. 

7 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Jim Benning is in entering his 5th year at this rebuilding and we are still projected to be a bottom league team next year. 

I don't get all the praise going to Benning when he has not done anything concrete yet. I am just as exciting about all our prospects, but a cupboard full of prospects doesnt mean anything. Just look at all the other medicore teams like Arizona, Carolina, Buffalo. 

I guess ticket sales speak for itself. And until Benning does something solid (eg. Petterson and Boeser pans out to be 1st liners), I don't support these Benning loving posts at all. 

You're being fair for sure. 

But.. (theres always a but) Gillis sat athrone, while Benning was plainly put, a peasant, but he's a builder, GMMG was entitled an inherited the Canucks, like white kids who claim to be poor, will inherit their parents properties.

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Gillis made this mess.  His drafting was crap.  He is praised for the team he gathered and the contracts he signed but the no trade clauses have handcuffed Benning many times.  And he left his successor with a core that was too old to support a retool before they retired.  So don't condemn Benning because he was delt a bad hand.  Much worse than Shanahan for example.  He is doing fine.

This is the first time that the Canucks have attempted to rebuild the right way.  Through the draft.  Even Pat Quinn didn't do this.  

I criticize ownership for being stuck on the twins but they have finally agreed to do this thing properly and that has to be applauded.  

Archived