The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

10 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Wilson won a stanley cup. They always cost more to keep because they have won. Ferland has played two rounds in the playoffs? He's a UFA and teams aren't going to give CAR anything huge, especially if he is indeed asking for that kinda of money. I can see a serviceable NHLer ,mid level prospect,  plus a pick. Example - Baertschi, Lockwood, 2nd rounder for Ferland and a 4th. Unless a team like TB or WPG or NSH says frick it we are going all in and gives up Fabbro/Tolvanen/Foote (their top prospects) which I can't see any of them doing

Players with Ferland's skillset always get paid in free agency. He's this year's Lucic and, while he doesn't score like Looch used to, he'd easily get $5.5m off someone on the open market. Personally, I have a feeling that Dundon is going to relax the purse strings and give Waddell the green light to pay the man what he wants. The team has enough picks and prospects, they need to start locking down core players.

10 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

The Canes have tons of bottom six options - Granlund wouldn't crack the bottom six:

Martinook-Staal-Svechnikov

Foegele-Rask/McKegg-Maenalanen

He's simply not cracking that.

Staal's been injured, Williams is a 37 year old expiring UFA, Martinook expiring UFA... they have room for him. 

That said, I'm not married to sending Granlund specifically. Merely pointing out that he does indeed hold value ('Canes or otherwise). Cheap, versatile, club control, still young, solid D game. He's a good add to a contender.

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Staal's been injured, Williams is a 37 year old expiring UFA, Martinook expiring UFA... they have room for him. 

That said, I'm not married to sending Granlund specifically. Merely pointing out that he does indeed hold value ('Canes or otherwise). Cheap, versatile, club control, still young, solid D game. He's a good add to a contender.

Staal's on the verge of a return and an assistant captain; Williams has been in exceptional form and besides being captain, is the master mind of the storm surge; Martinook's extension is nearly done. If anyone gets injured, the next in line are Necas and Kuokkanen. Clark Bishop. Julien Gauthier.

The Canes would have no interest in Granlund or any other bottom six options. They want top six forwards. If they're losing Ferland, they're two short, so adding dime a dozen guys like Granlund doesn't help them.

4 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Please, please, please, pretty please.

If there is a hockey god, give JB the stones to make this happen.

If ever there was a deal that would put JB on the map, this is it.

Ferland      Pettersson      Boeser

Re-sign Ferland to Horvat type numbers

6 x 5 to 5,5

The kid's got skill - that could be one heck of a line.

4 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

I wouldnt mind Ferland, He would be that "tough guy" we need to protect our young guns..

He has learned how to score too.  Could be the guy out of all those in the league in this category.  I said during the summer after he almost single handedly smashed us in the playoffs, Sure would be nice to have that guy around... (Refs didn't call what he was doing, so ya, it was one of the most effective single handed neutralizations I have ever seen.)

Seriously stop...just bloody stop.

Here is Ferlands stats at almost 27 years old:  http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=119077

Here is Virtanens stats at 22 years old:  http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=149178

Here are Clutterbucks stats at 31 years old:  http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76786

And you people are literally offering picks prospects AND players for him as an upcoming UFA?  Give your heads a shake seriously come on.  The guy padded his stats in a huge way playing in Calgary's top 6 and now in the Canes' top 6 but otherwise is a 3rd line player and some of you are offering all of that?  Come on....just stop

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Here is Ferlands stats at almost 27 years old:  http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=119077

Here is Virtanens stats at 22 years old:  http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=149178

Here are Clutterbucks stats at 31 years old:  http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=76786

And you people are literally offering picks prospects AND players for him as an upcoming UFA?  Give your heads a shake seriously come on.  The guy padded his stats in a huge way playing in Calgary's top 6 and now in the Canes' top 6 but otherwise is a 3rd line player and some of you are offering all of that?  Come on....just stop

I'm not a fan of trading assets for a pending UFA, but if we were to target 1 soon to be UFA, he would be the guy. I think you're seriously undervaluing Ferland here. Look at the impact Wilson has had in Washington. Ferland scores at a higher clip than Wilson. What's not to like about that? He's literally EXACTLY the type of player we need.

So I can get behind the thought of not wanting to trade away futures for a soon to be UFA, but if Ferland came with an extension and the return was something like Goldobin + DiPietro + 3rd round pick, that's something I can definitely live with. Otherwise I'd push hard for him come July 1st.

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Virtanen and Clitterbuck are not similar players to Ferland.

48 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

Staal's on the verge of a return and an assistant captain; Williams has been in exceptional form and besides being captain, is the master mind of the storm surge; Martinook's extension is nearly done. If anyone gets injured, the next in line are Necas and Kuokkanen. Clark Bishop. Julien Gauthier.

The Canes would have no interest in Granlund or any other bottom six options. They want top six forwards. If they're losing Ferland, they're two short, so adding dime a dozen guys like Granlund doesn't help them.

Again, not married to Granlund. And he wouldn't be the main piece in the deal regardless. Or they could flip him elsewhere for all I care :lol: I think you're overstating how important I think he'd be in any deal... you seem rather focused on it. I simply don't see them getting much more value than a Goldobin + 'Granlund value' player (him or otherwise) for an expiring, 2nd line UFA with high contract demands. That's about all I'd be willing to give up without an extension if I'm the Canucks.

With an extension, I'd probably consider Baer.

And if they want top 6 forwards, why are they trading Ferland? Just pay him. Problem solved.

Besides that they already have future top 6 guys in Svech, Necas etc

58 minutes ago, wildcam said:

the Hurricanes will not let him walk as free agent!! I hear fans saying wait until he becomes a free agent..

Hurricanes made a big trade for him..Hurricanes will get a decent return for him...

The team they potentially trade him to might though.

Half the teams noted in the OP/tweet to be interested likely can't afford to re-sign him and would be trading for him as a rental.

52 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

I like Ferland, but he's really not worth a whole heck of a lot.  He's a coming UFA, and that really drops his value.  It's not like a team wants him just as a rental.  I would be willing to offer Baer straight up.  That's my final offer.  

Archived