The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trying to make you understand...

bobo1763

Markstrom last night, 3/22. Dismal save percentage at a time when the team needed phenomenal goal tending. 

I ask this not to troll (honestly and truly) but how many of you can CONFIDENTLY go into next season or even a season where we make the playoffs with this guy as our number one goalie? I’m genuinely curious. 

I will never EVER be on board with a goalie who can’t post a shutout. Look at brobovsky in Columbus. Goes all season with conflict and controversy between him and torts and if he will resign. What does he do his last two games? BACK TO BACK SHUTOUTS. 

If markstrom did that the the sky would be falling and up would be down. 

Flame away but thats my opinion. 

You understand that Markstrom has been at the top of the league since Dec 1?  He has kept us in like 20 games since then.  Straight up stolen the team like 20 points.  Shutout is more of a team thing, and not a goalie thing.  And this team in front of Markstrom is amateur hour. Without Markstrom's way above average performance this season, this team is definitely dead last.  We'd be way into a playoff spot, if it wasn't for that crappy stretch.

1.  Markstrom has been playing great for months now and has been the reason why, more than any other player, that the Canucks are any where near a playoff spot.  Since the beginning of December, Marky has been a top 10 goalie in the league.

2.  Since the Demko injury, other that the unfortunate game that DiPietro played, Marky has been carrying the freight.  We know that he plays better when he doesn't play every game.  Most top goalies are in the same boat.  I would suggest that if he had an off game last night, that mental fatigue may have something to do with it.

As a guy that was ready to give up Markstrom and run Nilsson in November I have to say Marky, Petey and Horvat are easily our three most valuable players this season. I trust Marky with the number one job. We have a poopy blueline and average forwards at best outside our big three. I’d say he’s NOT a problem.

Problem is Markstrom is not a true #1 goaltender. He’s been playing like one for most the season but in reality he’s a really good backup. Just be happy that he’s probably the reason the Canucks aren’t dead last in the league bailing out these dismal defensive performances game in and game out. 

Yes it's frustrating that Markstrom always has to let in that one really weak or unfortunate goal. 

But if you look past that, the reason why we are where we are right now is because of Markstrom's stellar play for the last couple of months. I'm very confident in Markstrom right now. Although I doubt he's going to be that elite goaltender for us down the road, he's a very serviceable goalie that is doing an excellent job holding down the fort and will continue to do that until Demko or DiPietro are ready (2-3 years give or take). As a poster above me has said, since December he's been top 10 goalie. 

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Problem is Markstrom is not a true #1 goaltender. He’s been playing like one for most the season but in reality he’s a really good backup. Just be happy that he’s probably the reason the Canucks aren’t dead last in the league bailing out these dismal defensive performances game in and game out. 

Finally someone feels the same way.. im

not alone

Just now, Pickly said:

The question is, is Markstroms great play since December a permanent development, or just a run of good play.  It is close to 3 months. 

I'm not sure we could call it a permanent improvement yet but like I said above, if he has to play EVERY game, his history has shown that his play will slide.  I sure hope that Demko is ready to go soon.

Are you so narrow minded that you can't comprehend that a goalie can be good without posting a shutout? Picture a goaltender who lets in a single goal in every single game and only one goal. Is that goalie bad? He'd have the best stats in every category except for shutouts.

17 minutes ago, bobo1763 said:

Markstrom last night, 3/22. Dismal save percentage at a time when the team needed phenomenal goal tending. 

I ask this not to troll (honestly and truly) but how many of you can CONFIDENTLY go into next season or even a season where we make the playoffs with this guy as our number one goalie? I’m genuinely curious. 

I will never EVER be on board with a goalie who can’t post a shutout. Look at brobovsky in Columbus. Goes all season with conflict and controversy between him and torts and if he will resign. What does he do his last two games? BACK TO BACK SHUTOUTS. 

:picard::wacko:

Playoffs even if made are not a goal this team should have IMO it long past needing blowing up, the problem is very few of the older players are marketable with the contracts and terms they have to get back really valuable assets.

Somehow this management group has started to believe their own marketing strategies that make this team seem better than it is. This is the same group for the most part, that have not had success over the last years and they are only getting older, slower and not wanting to get injured at the end of their careers.

Markstrom has been unbelievably good this season probably responsible for the team getting 18 points, how many times this team has been outshot 3 to 5 to one in a period?

Players on a losing team rarely have value matching players on winning teams, Horvat, who is very good might only be a third line center on many of the top teams but here is/was considered for first line duties and he is a very good NHL player, but how many other forwards are top six? two maybe three on this team, would JV be considered for top six on his own? Would Stecher be a top pairing defence on Pittsburgh, Tampa or Florida, even in injury relief?

Motte, Granlund, Leivo, Sutter, Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle are all periphery players asked to play beyond their comfort zones but as a group they are not enough to carry any team to a playoff run, but on this group manamgent seems to put the same value on Sven as Drasaitl has or Debrincat, a second line player, a very unreasonable estimation and never able to trade for an equivalent skill level. So no trades.

At any rate the team exceeded expectations to date, partially due to the turtle race for the last wild card spot in the west but may still end up with the same old crew with the same old problems and another shiny penny to peddle next year but with close to the same results if not worse because all these vets are getting older and slower and injured.

By not, or refusing to, trade the older vets (he didn't have any problem trading away Gillis's clause contracts) he has slowed the rebuild down by at least 2 years, Montreal has traded their best players away and are better now than before with more depth and prospects, Columbus has been building for 18 years, not a program fans want to see here, even as good as Winnipeg is their current build is only 4 years old, they made big trades, sold off vets for picks/prospects and cap relief.

This team has been in statis, not doing anything other than just going day to day taking it as it comes, not trying to change. Status quo is a comfort zone for Benning.  

21 minutes ago, bobo1763 said:

if marky was in goal for TB he’ld probably has a half dozen shut outs. we will be going into next season with marky as our number one.

21 minutes ago, bobo1763 said:

Archived