The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Apr. 04, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Maketherightmove said:

If you remove Kucherov, Stamkos and Hedman, the Lightning would SUCK! Probably wouldn't even make the playoffs, what a failure that organization is. 

Your logic is flawed. 

Even without those three they aren't dead in the water.  They are probably still better than the Islanders on paper. 

That is one hell of a team.

As far as the refereeing I think we're trending in the right direction. There have been a few games where they haven't been a factor. With the addition of more skill guys and also having honest 2 way players in our bottom 6, I think that when we skate hard we will be getting better called games. With a better D we can frustrate teams and draw more penalties. But I don't think Schaller, Eriksson and Spooner are viable everyday players. They dont score, or hit, or have the grit we need in the bottom 6. Don't say they are good PK because we already have Rous, Beagz, Granlund, Gaudette, Pearson and Lievo. Add a tough UFA or try Gaunce or McEwan. Plus if we get lucky and get Kakko. 

23 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Even without those three they aren't dead in the water.  They are probably still better than the Islanders on paper. 

I actually thought he was being sarcastic but if he wasn’t let’s start with Point, and add Gourde, Johnson, Palat, Cherilli, Sergechev, Vasilevsky, McDonagh etc...they still have a decent defense, a Vezina caliber goalie (and he is), and a top five-ten center.  Plus guys like Johnson and Palat who have already proved they can handle top six roles despite often finding themselves pushed down the depth chart.   Add Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman, and well they push to 61 wins and counting.  Without them I’d bet they’d still be a playoff team, they are that good.

42 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Meh, Point is left and no one else has > 50 points. Not that great without their studs. 

Either way, my point stands. 

Yes this was a nothing game for the Canucks in the standings.  Yes, the referees were terrible and the two calls on the Preds goals were suspect.  What I would like to see is a little more emotion and fire from Green and the coaches.  I am not saying go full tilt Torterella on the refs but at least let them know you aren't just going to stand by and be a push over.  That behaviour is not necessary all the time but every once in awhile your players need to see that you are pissed off too.  Last night is where we really needed someone with a C on their sweater (read Horvat) who could have stood up for their team.  Edler doesn't do diddle with the A on his sweater.

I just want to respond to the masses of our Canucks fans...…….

We are close, people we are real close. I absolutely know some people on here are such great supporters and always see the glass half full.....

Power to them...…….we need you guys!

Then there are people like me, which see the Canucks as a evolving team, with some warts and holes, and a hell of a lot of potential. And 

for me, it is just a matter of time...……..I believe that people like me are also very excited of the future, we just believe, it will take more time

than the first group...……...

Then there are the glass half empty crowd. I see them as either $hit disturbers, just coming here to stir things up, or people that actually have no

understanding of the progression of a hockey team, and are actually saying what they believe, as unbelievable as some of them are.

I believe, the first 2 groups of supporters have commonality, and are good for each other as they galvanize each other. Some day, this will be a much

tighter group and may actually merge at some point. This point reminds me that bandwagoners and tankers both love the Canucks.

Me, as a tanker, just love our Canucks, and I was laughing and crying last night, as the Canucks deserved to win, based on the calls.

On the play, they probably deserved what they got. A strong first period, and not so much the next 2 periods. Seeing Stecher pi$$ed, last night

was magnificent, as it showed pride, and the kind of player Benning is after. (Well done Stecher! - I was impressed with your reaction!) 

Lastly, depending where Benning sees us, compared to the rest of the league, we will see some definite changes, but in general, this will be done

because we are close...…………...

Personally, I think this will be a great off season for the Canucks...there is so much hope!

Eh, no problem with the goals.  First one was legit, it's in the rule book.  Second one Watson was hooked and tripped by JV into Markstrom, 50/50 call that didn't go our way.  That was easily the worst game Petey has played in the NHL, he needs to rest up after this last game.  That third goal was pretty bad defense by Petey and Boeser.

Anywhoo on to the positive and that was Quin Hughes.  I think he's already the Canucks greatest Dman of all time lol.  Seriously though can he move the puck, aside from the 2 assists that cross ice feed to Boeser made me hard.  

33 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Yes this was a nothing game for the Canucks in the standings.  Yes, the referees were terrible and the two calls on the Preds goals were suspect.  What I would like to see is a little more emotion and fire from Green and the coaches.  I am not saying go full tilt Torterella on the refs but at least let them know you aren't just going to stand by and be a push over.  That behaviour is not necessary all the time but every once in awhile your players need to see that you are pissed off too.  Last night is where we really needed someone with a C on their sweater (read Horvat) who could have stood up for their team.  Edler doesn't do diddle with the A on his sweater.

What does that accomplish?  Sweet bugger all, that's what.

13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Marky deserves better, regardless of the BS reffring, all 18 skaters stopped playing in front of him in the final 30 mins of the game.

Shame on the players and coaching staff to sit on a one goal lead and basically mail it in so early in the game.

I don't know. I can only comment on the last 11 minutes, but when I turned the game on it was great back and forth for 6 minutes before the 2nd goal. Canucks were playing hard and taking advantage of the Preds pushing for the equaliser! Was a bs goal for sure but I was pretty entertained there for a bit. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

What does that accomplish?  Sweet bugger all, that's what.

It actually often makes it worse instead of better.  The glaring gaffs are no secret and the league will have to deal with them eventually as they're continuously being exposed.  I mean, sure...they can't be "perfect" but they also shouldn't be awful.  And the inconsistencies and pulling rules out of the hat after dusting them off from the archives (even if legit) is making this a bit of a joke and a black mark on the best league in the world.  You have to substantiate that, not just promote it.

Is it too much expect the NHL (best league in the world) Refs to know the Rulebook thoroughly?

Goalies are NOT allowed to throw sticks to make saves. 

Goalies are NOT allowed to throw pucks. 

It's hard to excuse them if they are not doing their jobs properly.

In the real world, you face consequences for messing up your work. 

With all the fancy slow motion replays from all angles and technologies, they still miss blatant calls..

Do they need like lie detectors implanted in players' equipments that lights up in bright red when asked if they think they took a penalty?

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I just want to respond to the masses of our Canucks fans...…….

We are close, people we are real close. I absolutely know some people on here are such great supporters and always see the glass half full.....

Power to them...…….we need you guys!

Then there are people like me, which see the Canucks as a evolving team, with some warts and holes, and a hell of a lot of potential. And 

for me, it is just a matter of time...……..I believe that people like me are also very excited of the future, we just believe, it will take more time

than the first group...……...

Then there are the glass half empty crowd. I see them as either $hit disturbers, just coming here to stir things up, or people that actually have no

understanding of the progression of a hockey team, and are actually saying what they believe, as unbelievable as some of them are.

I believe, the first 2 groups of supporters have commonality, and are good for each other as they galvanize each other. Some day, this will be a much

tighter group and may actually merge at some point. This point reminds me that bandwagoners and tankers both love the Canucks.

Me, as a tanker, just love our Canucks, and I was laughing and crying last night, as the Canucks deserved to win, based on the calls.

On the play, they probably deserved what they got. A strong first period, and not so much the next 2 periods. Seeing Stecher pi$$ed, last night

was magnificent, as it showed pride, and the kind of player Benning is after. (Well done Stecher! - I was impressed with your reaction!) 

Lastly, depending where Benning sees us, compared to the rest of the league, we will see some definite changes, but in general, this will be done

because we are close...…………...

Personally, I think this will be a great off season for the Canucks...there is so much hope!

We are close to what? Making the playoffs? I would say yes, we are close to that and maybe next year, but more likely the year after that. As for being a contender, well I mean realistically, we are a full second line and 3 top 4 defencemen away, so that is way out still. If the rebuild goes well, then maybe in 5 years??

15 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Is it too much expect the NHL (best league in the world) Refs to know the Rulebook thoroughly?

With all the fancy slow motion replays from all angles and technologies, they still miss blatant calls..

Do they need like lie detectors implanted in players' equipments that lights up in bright red when asked if they think they took a penalty?

Referees are evaluated throughout the season.  The ones with the best grades get to officiate in the post-season.  It's an additional income and also a nice line on the resumé.  

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Referees are evaluated throughout the season.  The ones with the best grades get to officiate in the post-season.  It's an additional income and also a nice line on the resumé.  

Your post kind of confused me as it really didn't address the post you'd quoted.

They may want to re-evaluate the grading process and make sure all referees know the rules and apply them evenly.  Rather than playing BINGO with them.

46 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

The thing is, if the boss encourages or at least supports you "messing up your work", then they aren't going to issue any consequences.   They aren't facing any so that's where the issues lie...in that we, the fans, "tolerate" the crap by continuing to support the game.  And I, for one, never will give up on it.  So that's part of the problem right there - they know people aren't going anywhere so they don't have to get it right.

3 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

We are close to what? Making the playoffs? I would say yes, we are close to that and maybe next year, but more likely the year after that. As for being a contender, well I mean realistically, we are a full second line and 3 top 4 defencemen away, so that is way out still. If the rebuild goes well, then maybe in 5 years??

Fare enough question and yes I agree with you for the most part...……..

Well, I think we are 2 players away from being a top 12 team and 2 years maturing to be a top 8-10 team, in talent anyways...…….

I think the expansion draft may get in the way, because of shuffling of players, but  by in large we are not that far away...……….

We are a top 22 team today. Take the injuries out and we are a top 18, mature it 2 years and we are a top 14, add those 3 players, we are a 8 to 10

Might be a little off, but that is the short version.

Personally, I am hoping for Benning to draft one of Krebs, Boldy, or Zegras, all of which are great offensive players....would love to have Boldy!

Sign(UFA) a RWer for Horvatt and a 1st pairing Dman, by making those moves, we fill in a lot of holes

I also would love for Benning to move Baertschi, Hutton, and Sutter.....and go Defensman crazy at the draft, personally, I would also be moving my 2021 1st, 

if it gets you around 20th OA in this years draft......

20 minutes ago, mll said:

Its more or less the referees that call the fewest penalties that get the Post season. And that's why you see so many missed calls. I call it rewarding incompetence! 

Archived