The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Benn Wants out of Dallas

He's really overrated, don't want anything to do with the guy. There's a good reason the management there went off on him publicly (which they never should have done) Can't see any team winning with the guy, just like Dallas..........

8 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

He's a good player but it would probably cost the Canucks Juolevi + Virtanen + 1st Round pick. The Nucks are better off with those 3 younger and cheaper pieces moving forward than with an ageing Jamie Benn. Plus, he $#*% talked the Sedins and has yet to accomplish what they have so he can rot in Dallas for all I care. I would rather throw an extra 0.5-1 million of cap at Panarin who is younger and won't cost assets.

I will also add that 9.5M for what was 53 points this past year is too much cap spent for what may be 55-65 points for the next few years. Horvat gets that at a rate that is 4M cheaper.

Yeah that sounds fantastic. Would give them that and run.

• Cheers 1

Just now, YummyCakeFace said:

Such a stickler 

1) create thread

2) find a source

1) have an actual source

2) post thread and include it.

Simple rules for this forum - that prevents it from being a "heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend" gongshow.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

1) create thread

2) find a source

1) have an actual source

2) post thread and include it.

Simple rules for this forum - that prevents it from being a "heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend" gongshow.

I heard Jamie bought a house in Vancouver...... :bigblush:

• Haha 3

We have to look at the situation when assessing the value here. Some suggestions I've seen seem to be based on a fair market value return which wouldn't be the scenario here. Benn has a NMC, so if he demands a trade and Vancouver is the only option, we have a Kesler trade scenario.

Kesler was traded for Bonino, Sbisa and a 1st (24th overall). Both Kesler and Benn would be the same age if Benn is dealt. Benn carries the heavy contract (and coming off a poor season in Jenn's standards) while Kesler wasn't the top player that we once had but didn't have the contract baggage (they dug their own hole here later on). So I would offer Gaudette, Hutton, and 2019 2nd. Take it or leave it and have a potentially disgruntled player on their roster if they choose.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

If Mr. Benn takes a hometown discount to play with b.c's team then maybe.

The Canucks have brought back several B.C. boys over the years and they thought they were retired early,or they were back home and thought it was enough to just float around the rink on their name alone.

There has not been too many that really put in the effort you would expect,however it would be nice to have a big talented guy on our team.

Benn still has 6 years left at 9.5M.  Contract is buyout proof given the bonus structure.

• Thanks 1

Actually, this is huge and there's a pretty big fit, here. Probably the first big rumor out of Vancouver I can really get behind. We need that top 6 winger to play with Bo. Pearson might fit the bill, but Benn is on another level and Captain of another team. Not only that, there might be a fit for Eriksson to go the other way. Salary is an issue on both ends of this one. Not only that, Eriksson would for sure waive for Dallas. He started his career there. He has roots there. Swap both for salary sake. He's a left winger, so the trade would be something along the lines of:

To Dallas:

Pearson

Eriksson

2nd and 3rd 2019 picks

Gaudette/Sutter

(Maybe our 10th overall 2019 if they don't take Gaudette/Sutter and the 2nd and 3rd picks. If it's Sutter, they might want the 1st pick anyways.)

To Van:

Benn

Nichuskin

13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Dallas beat reporters saying Bo Horvat would be the starting price....

HARD NO

I was reading this thread seriously up to this point. Yeah, that's a hard no.

Kesler, a former Selke winner with 3 years of prime (50+ points + hard defensive minutes) got us late 1st, a 2C (40-50 point player), and #6D.

Benn, a fomer Art Ross winner with about 3 years of prime year to go (60-80 point production) shouldn't cost Horvat, who is already a 60 point producer and only 24... Horvat's current value + future projected value exceeds Benn's current value + future projected value.

The cost should be a bit higher than Kesler but not too much higher. And they have to take either Sutter or Eriksson for it to make sense for us cap wise.

Maybe 2020 or 2021 1st (lottery protected) + Hutton + Eriksson/Sutter + a 2nd round pick? I'd like to keep Virtanen if possible. He just scored 15 goals, could become an important contributor that puts in 20goals and playing important roles in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

And now he's demanding a trade because the owner said something mean about him.  Seems that his character hasn't really improved. Classless piece of trash that would not be a good influence on our young players learning how to be professionals.  Bottom line is the garbage he spewed is unacceptable for a player who would be expected to be in a leadership role here.  Stay far away.

When the person you are working for doesn't value you or your contribution, it's time to move on from that job. People quit their job if they don't feel valued at their workplace all the time, why shouldn't hockey players think the same way?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Benn for Horvat ++. Absolutely not. No thank you.  Go away please. 

100% agree. No way we trade Horvat for Benn. Also no way I give up a first rounder either.

My best offer would be:

Sutter

Hutton

Goldobin

2nd round pick

and they can have Eriksson, Spooner and Schaller for free if they want lol.

Edited by babalu

First thought is that trading depth for a 30 year old player does not fit the Canuck development timeline. Benn is tempting but the fit isn't. Canucks are not near deep enough yet. This will not be the only deal coming their way as the org matures. Many players will want to play with the young core developing. The Canucks will not have to gut the org to get a future deal.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1