The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most hated player in history amongst Canucks’ fanbase?

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I’m sure there’s a ton more, but you famously forgot Sopel.

I liked Sopel  :bigblush:

Then again I actually didn't mind Booth either and included him, so obviously some inconsistencies there haha. Also forgot Roy baby. 

On 5/26/2019 at 9:37 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

Who do you think is the most hated player in the history of our fanbase?

As you may have noticed, I recently changed my avatar (credit @6string) from Mark Messier to (Hindu)Stan Smyl due to pain that it was causing my fellow Nuck fans.   I figured that the Messier avatar would be a light hearted rib but many people on here really hated that, despite the fact that the Messier era in Vancouver almost concluded 20 years, while the 1994 cup finals was 25 years ago.

A few other names that come to mind:

-Brad Marchand

-Tim Thomas

-Dustin Byfuglien

-Ryan Kesler (I still :love: Kesler)

-Joel Otto

-Milan Lucic

-Steve Moore 

Is Jan Bulis still a thing?  (Lol at Tom Larsheid by the way).

Which player do you dislike the most?

For me, it’s a tie between Brad Marchand and Nathan Horton.  I’d even lean a bit more towards Horton.   I didn’t like how Horton was parading around TD garden waiving the flag during the 2011 finals after he got concussed. I mean, if you’re concusses that bad, wouldn’t the noise at the TD garden hurt your head?  

I also really hated how he poured “Boston water” on our home ice before game 7.   

Kelly Sutherland isn’t a player, but he also might be my most hated hockey guy.  The guy hates Vancouver for god knows what reasons.

Joel otto hands down.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Isam said:

Joel otto hands down.

He kicked it in back in 1989, but other than that, the guy was a solid, respectable player and a worthy opponent.  In fact, over the years I've gained a good measure of respect for the old Flames like Peplinski, Nattress, Macoun, Roberts, etc.  Definitely did a 180 on Fleury over the years, though it took a while.

• Cheers 1

On 5/29/2019 at 8:52 PM, shiznak said:

I’m sure there’s a ton more, but you famously forgot Sopel.

I liked Brent Sopel.  The guy got a bad rap, undeserved, kind of like Dana Murzyn.  He was an adequate defenseman, and good for 30-40 points in the dead puck era.  He just unfairly had the stink of the Messier era teams still lingering around.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:47 PM, canucklehead44 said:

For Canucks? Messier is obvious. I didn't become obsessed and on CDC until the early 2000s. Here are some that fans loved to hate:

Potvin
Cloutier
Brochu
Hlavac
Malik
Rucinksy
Nathan Smith
Weinrich
Carney
McCarthy

Goren
Bouck

Ouellet
Noronen
Pyatt
Bulis
Smolinski
Chouinard
Santala
Isbister
Bernier
Rome

M Schneider
Alberts

Sturm

Booth

Sbisa
Megna
Chaput
Eriksson 

Gudbranson

All should definitely be forgiven with Malik after his 237th round shootout winner.

22 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

No one really "hated" most of these guys.

Called them plugs, pylons, whatever.  But there's a difference.

Maybe hate is too strong of a word. But in most cases they were either overpaid, under performed, or took a spot away from other guys we wanted to see

On 5/26/2019 at 9:37 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

Who do you think is the most hated player in the history of our fanbase?

As you may have noticed, I recently changed my avatar (credit @6string) from Mark Messier to (Hindu)Stan Smyl due to pain that it was causing my fellow Nuck fans.   I figured that the Messier avatar would be a light hearted rib but many people on here really hated that, despite the fact that the Messier era in Vancouver almost concluded 20 years, while the 1994 cup finals was 25 years ago.

A few other names that come to mind:

-Brad Marchand

-Tim Thomas

-Dustin Byfuglien

-Ryan Kesler (I still :love: Kesler)

-Joel Otto

-Milan Lucic

-Steve Moore 

Is Jan Bulis still a thing?  (Lol at Tom Larsheid by the way).

Which player do you dislike the most?

For me, it’s a tie between Brad Marchand and Nathan Horton.  I’d even lean a bit more towards Horton.   I didn’t like how Horton was parading around TD garden waiving the flag during the 2011 finals after he got concussed. I mean, if you’re concusses that bad, wouldn’t the noise at the TD garden hurt your head?  

I also really hated how he poured “Boston water” on our home ice before game 7.   

Kelly Sutherland isn’t a player, but he also might be my most hated hockey guy.  The guy hates Vancouver for god knows what reasons.

This is a bizzare idea.   Lumping former Canucks that we "hated" being on the team with rats on other teams.   Two very different questions.  There is only one player in our history that might fit that bill for both questions though, and thats Mr. Lays chips.

I wouldn't have thought anyone was in the running other than Messier.

Frankly though if picking a player from another team, no one deserves it more than McSorley.  Absolutely disgusting what he did.  One of the worst things I have seen in hockey.

Edited by DrJockitch

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I wouldn't have thought anyone was in the running other than Messier.

Frankly though if picking a player from another team, no one deserves it more than McSorley.  Absolutely disgusting what he did.  One of the worst things I have seen in hockey.

Two players I enjoyed and respected growing up tore my heart out in the end. Messier and McSorely.   He was trying to hit his shoulder but still no excuses.  That and the Bertuzzi incident were two of the most awful acts of retribution gone wrong I’ve ever seen in hockey.   Messier is by far the most despised guy in Canucks history, but what McSorely did was an awful way to end an otherwise honourable career. 

On 5/29/2019 at 8:47 PM, canucklehead44 said:

For Canucks? Messier is obvious. I didn't become obsessed and on CDC until the early 2000s. Here are some that fans loved to hate:

Potvin
Cloutier
Brochu
Hlavac
Malik
Rucinksy
Nathan Smith
Weinrich
Carney
McCarthy

Goren
Bouck

Ouellet
Noronen
Pyatt
Bulis
Smolinski
Chouinard
Santala
Isbister
Bernier
Rome

M Schneider
Alberts

Sturm

Booth

Sbisa
Megna
Chaput
Eriksson 

Gudbranson

You easily hate people, don't you. lol

Do you hate people who make a post you don't like as well?

I know he was here for less then a season but everything about Brandon Prust as a Canuck I didn’t like. The trade where we had to compromise giving up a 5th to Montreal to take on Kassian (yes he has addiction issues and they were impacting his career at the time) and his cheaper contract. Then to bring in a less talented, older and more expensive Brandon Prust.

And then when teams would be taking liberties with our smaller younger players (a game against the Ducks if I recall) he had the audacity to say “they got to stick up for themselves” So why were you here Brandon?

And then when the Canucks were in NY before playing the Rangers and he was going to be a healthy scratch, he had a hissy fit to Willy and then we ended up playing him and he had an invisible game. 

And then... When we sent him to Utica he wasn’t a great role model in the locker room, so we had to eventually cut ties with him.

Add in the fact that my best memories of Prust on other teams was when he got served double stacker knuckle sandwiches from the late great Rick Rypien. So there wasn’t very much to like about Mr. Prust.

EXCEPT the spear on Marchand which was “the best $5000 I ever spent” 

3CD38BFE-C0D1-4D21-9449-884172E31242.gif

Edited by EP Phone Home