The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Blackhawks name Marc Crawford as assistant coach

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

we really could have used crow here in some capacity. his time with the swiss league did wonders for him and it showed in a tire fire in ottawa, cause on the days they were good, they were GOOD

I'd like to see Phil Housley brought in for the power play.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Really hope he gets a legit shot at a head coaching job again.  Always loved Crow.

He still could. Similar to OTT, he ascended to the position when the original head coach got fired. This actually adds a lot of pressure to the previously mentioned position. Produce or be replaced by a coach.

With the way Chicago was last year, struggling could be a distinct possibility.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

I'd like to see Phil Housley brought in for the power play.

I'm pretty sure the resident Sabres fan here mentioned about how he didn't like his coaching.

The grass is greener on the other side.

I don't think Newell Brown has been given good tools to work with. He has a ton of experience on the PP but we've had mediocre PP players, mostly because they can't move the puck.

• Upvote 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Report] Blackhawks name Marc Crawford as assistant coach
14 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I'm pretty sure the resident Sabres fan here mentioned about how he didn't like his coaching.

The grass is greener on the other side.

I don't think Newell Brown has been given good tools to work with. He has a ton of experience on the PP but we've had mediocre PP players, mostly because they can't move the puck.

The closest comparable to Quinn's style of game, is Housley.

• Upvote 2

He seems to be a better overall coach now that the NHL gave him a taste of 'humble pie' for a few years and forced him work overseas for a while. 

Working in a hockey-mad market like Vancouver with the type of success he had would likely get to anyone's ego after a while I suppose. 

I hope he is terrible there only for the fact that....well....Chicago:sadno:

30 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He still could. Similar to OTT, he ascended to the position when the original head coach got fired. This actually adds a lot of pressure to the previously mentioned position. Produce or be replaced by a coach.

With the way Chicago was last year, struggling could be a distinct possibility.

Pretty much this.

Not only does Crawford bring a lot of experience and knowledge as well as an up tempo style of coaching, but if Colliton doesn't get the job done, his replacement is already on the payroll. 

Plus there is no "learn the players/learn the coaches", get-to-know-you phase.  Crow 2 will already know the players and what he's got to work with.

Edited by skolozsy2
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is both good and bad. If a coach can't use the tools on offered tap effectively, then perhaps it's time for that coach to move somewhere that the tools he needs are already in place. He's not particularly effective with what we've got, and hasn't really shown adeptness at modifying that.

As is, he's kind of looking to be a one-trick-pony. Which is why I wouldn't mind seeing him graze on grass somewhere else.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Really hope he gets a legit shot at a head coaching job again.  Always loved Crow.

I think coaching in Switzerland really helped him. He improved his abilities. I think he was just not adjusting in his previous terms as head coach in the NHL. Now he's better with the players, and seems to have a better grasp on the job. 

• Upvote 1