The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

4 hours ago, NexusRift said:

I was stoked when they called his name at the draft. Upon discussing Canuck drafts the day after at work, most of my coworkers thought otherwise. The reasons being him under contract and 'Nucks luck with Russian players. I said, "Are you kidding me? Did you even watch any of the WJC games involving Team Russia? That kid rocks!"

I say let's get Podz signed, sealed, and delivered as soon as possible. 

The best thing about Podkolzin IMO is he hasn't signed an ELC. He's doing his apprenticeship on some one else's  dime. He'll still be on his ELC when the Canucks are SC contenders

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The best thing about Podkolzin IMO is he hasn't signed an ELC. He's doing his apprenticeship on some one else's  dime. He'll still be on his ELC when the Canucks are SC contenders

I find it crazy that teams saw that as a detractor rather than a positive.

Having a player on an ELC until they’re 23 is a huge plus.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

and RFA until he's 27. Its pretty much ideal for where the Canucks are at. 

Podz is going to be another guy people are going to say should have gone top 5. 

21 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Another reason I won't be too upset if Hoglander plays in Sweden rather than the AHL next year either ;)

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I'm sure some teams considered the risk of him potentially using the out of heading back to the KHL at any point if things don't go his way as a negative. Also some teams perhaps feel they prefer to develop their players in their own system. But I think the big factor is that he wasn't putting up massive point totals, so some probably felt he's more like a 3rd line type player rather than a top 6 guy. Also based on the picks made, I think teams emphasized on centers and defense being the more valuable position.

Thankfully they're mostly fools and letting Pod drop to us.

• Cheers 1

On 4/26/2020 at 6:41 AM, LowerMainLander18 said:

I wanna see him earn a spot on 4th line and work his way up. 

He's versatile like that. And I think that's how we would best find out how to utilize him. 

I don't agree with making him a one-dimensional top 6 fwd right off the bat.

I would love to have a left handed Mark Stone on our team. 

It’s a good idea as he would fit well there to start. May want to bump him to 3rd for more mins:

Podkolzin Gaudette Virtanen

That would be a good line to grow on.

• Upvote 2

On 5/3/2020 at 2:03 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/redoing-the-2019-nhl-draft-how-would-it-unfold-today

Very early for a redraft but fun to look at in these times. Podkolzin jumps a spot and Hoglander jumps to 18.

Early days but very cool to see.  Basically two first rounders that year offsets the one we gave up for Miller (Which was a great deal).  Things looking good in Canuck land once things pick back up.

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting way to look at it. Höglander could be considered our 2019 first rounder. And Podkolzin, being so young, and with the KHL contract delay, our 2020 first rounder. Not bad for back-to-back drafts.

So we basically got Miller for free. ;) 

In that world, Miller was our 2019 2nd round pick.

And I think JB shoulda done better.

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

That is indeed some terrible development path for Vasili.

why ? 

Koltygin is a C, 21 years old  with 0 points in 28 games in KHL

Rubstov is also an  almost 22 years old C, with 13 pts in AHL. could may be a threat if he could switch to RW but even so... Podz is way younger with a tremendous stats by the ends of the St Pete season (where stats meant something, with a average TOI > 10mn a game). 

4 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

why ? 

Koltygin is a C, 21 years old  with 0 points in 28 games in KHL

Rubstov is also an  almost 22 years old C, with 13 pts in AHL. could may be a threat if he could switch to RW but even so... Podz is way younger with a tremendous stats by the ends of the St Pete season (where stats meant something, with a average TOI > 10mn a game). 

Pretty he sure he just forgot his sarcasm tags ;)

[sar] [\sar]

• Thanks 1