The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

23 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I can see Pod coming to VAN in 2 years with a big chip on his shoulder. I think he'll want to prove that some of the other teams made a mistake by passing on him for the polished, entitled American kids.

Lets hope so... nothing better to motivate than a chip on the shoulder....

4 hours ago, Shiftynifty said:

40~ seconds in his first and third game 

Ya I was worried about this. Pretty much no point in even being on the bench for 40 seconds . Easing him in is fine , but literally sitting him for pretty much the entire game is an embarrassment.  

A top-five talent, Vasili Podkolzin has the tools to be a home run pick for the Canucks

AP_19004797645192-1024x704.jpg

The most pivotal aspect in successfully rebuilding a team is securing elite talent to form a strong core. It’s far from the only ingredient, but you’re not going to make it far constructing a Cup contender without high-end pieces headlining your roster. To that extent, the Vancouver Canucks have done very well in drafting under Jim Benning.

In 2015, they secured a top-flight winger in Brock Boeser with the No. 23 overall pick and in both the 2017 and 2018 drafts, Vancouver looks to have hit home runs with Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes. Pettersson could wind up being the top player in his draft class, while in Hughes’ year it’s possible that he winds up as the second- or third-best player.

Read more here:

• Like 2

If he's not in the KHL, what's the point of being in Europe?

Might as well have him in the AHL so he can get regular shifts.  

Moving across the world is difficult, but considering Utica is a smaller city, there's no better place to adapt to North American life, away from all the big-city issues.  

5 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

If he's not in the KHL, what's the point of being in Europe?

Might as well have him in the AHL so he can get regular shifts.  

Moving across the world is difficult, but considering Utica is a smaller city, there's no better place to adapt to North American life, away from all the big-city issues.  

Totally. You can tell by the way utica has developed a total of what 0 top players. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Totally. You can tell by the way utica has developed a total of what 0 top players. 

I don't think Utica is the ideal spot for Canucks prospects to be in... but a regular shift in the AHL in key situations is way better than warming the benches.  

52 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I don't like that his coach isn't playing him regularly, but also keeps Podkolzin hungry and on his toes, but downside is he loses ground in development and confidence building.  Should be interesting how this unfolds.

I know there is rarely anything positive about getting a minute of icetime so I'm going to try to look at this as a glass half full perspective. Most skilled players his age get high quality minutes because they are the best players on their team. However, the jump up to the next level is often a shock because they are not ready for the speed, the pace and the intensity. While I hope this minute a game of icetime doesn't last more than a few games it will motivate Podkolzin to give it his all every shift (even though he already does...but maybe there's an even higher gear that Podkolzin can attain). Arguably the problem with power forwards are that they are incredibly inconsistent in their first few years most likely because they don't put in that effort on a nightly basis. I'm hoping this will fire Podkolzin up and let him know at an early age what it will take to make not only the KHL but the NHL. Leave it all on the table, give it his all every shift offensively and defensively and his coach will have no option but to play him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3