The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

59 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'll preface this by thinking it'll never happen (signing Lee), but if it did:

Lee / Miller or BoHo / Virtanen

That's about as heavy a line as you're ever going to ice and would be physically formidable versus anyone. 

I don't really think it would happen either but man it would be fun watching those guys crunch the D on other teams lol.

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

218 lbs.  Horvat has to be close to 220, add Pearson or Virtannen and that is a meaty line.  

Then role out Baer, EP40 and Brock as the potatoes!!  Skillz galore. 

Tougher top.6 now with Miller.  Added plus, played 82 games 4 years in a row.  Scoring 20g plus 3 times.  In 2 years Podz comes in...  

Keppen, Gadz... sounds like JB is building around Ep40.  Smart move.  

Horvat is 215

• Cheers 1

This is a risky deal.  It's almost as if Benning is saying "...the rebuild is finished, we don't need any more picks."

Is that the case?

1st rounders are not easily acquired.

Is this guy worth one?  Yeah, he is a fairly consistent 20+ goal scorer... (although not last season) and has decent size and grit, but losing that #1 means no more chances to hit the home run and pick a Brock Boeser out of the late 1st rounds in 2021.

We will need to see how the season and his production goes to see whether this was a good or bad deal.

Jury's out for now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

This is a risky deal.  It's almost as if Benning is saying "...the rebuild is finished, we don't need any more picks."

Is that the case?

Is this guy worth one?  Yeah, he is a fairly consistent 20+ goal scorer... (although not last season) and has decent size and grit, but losing that #1 means no more chances to hit the home run and pick a Brock Boeser out of the late 1st rounds in 2021.

We will need to see how the season and his production goes to see whether this was a good or bad deal.

Jury's out for now.

Yup, for now.

I think there is legitimacy to the concern that we've made ourselves better at the moment but potentially not championship-better in the long run.

On the other hand, if you spend some time looking at his stats compared with his ice-time and assumed linemates over the past number of seasons, I think there's every reason to believe that he can be a very legitimate addition to our top 6. With an increased role and more ice-time he has consistently produced more, I think that is likely to happen this season too.

The more I think about it the more I wonder if JT Miller should center the top line or co-share it with EP...

Reasons for doing this:  Gives EP a break on his defensive responsibilities, could focus more on scoring goals and developing his offensive game.

JT Miller is a better face off guy and this will give EP time to develop this part of his game.  

Going up against some big centres in this conference less will give his body a break etc.

Of course then EP would be required to a do a bit more board work so there is a flip side to it, but overall that’s a much more physical demanding role (center) then being a winger.   I think that it would give him more space and time to do what he does and he won’t get constantly mugged near the middle of the ice by opposing defenders.   Also Miller can muck the front of the net which always pulls guys away opening up ice etc, do the garbage work.

Not sure what TG will do, but one of the best things about JT Miller is he has options...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tyndall2 said:

So are the Canucks going to buy out anyone before the Free Agency frenzy begins (Erickson, etc)?  How about some of the other slugs?  Where are they going to fit it?  Or not?

We save almost nothing on Eriksson's contract if we buy it out because it's so signing bonus-laden. It's not worth buying him out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

We save almost nothing on Eriksson's contract if we buy it out because it's so signing bonus-laden. It's not worth buying him out.

JTM says he likes to hunt.  This brings back bad memories about the last power forward, who liked to hunt, we traded for from a Florida team.  :picard:

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

J.T. Miller on Sportsnet 650:

"Vancouver is such a great city. Obviously to the eye its pretty awesome -- playing on the East when we would go there we would spend a few days, definitely become one of the best cities for me."

"The talent this team has is so young and this is going to be a good team in the future. I have a handful of years under my belt so I think I can really help add to the depth of the team."

Sounds like a quality dude. 

Good ol American boy

51 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

J.T. Miller on Sportsnet 650:

"Vancouver is such a great city. Obviously to the eye its pretty awesome -- playing on the East when we would go there we would spend a few days, definitely become one of the best cities for me."

"The talent this team has is so young and this is going to be a good team in the future. I have a handful of years under my belt so I think I can really help add to the depth of the team."

I like how he recognizes the role he will be playing. Not so much a depth player but that he sees he is complimentary to our upper end players

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

The more I think about it the more I wonder if JT Miller should center the top line or co-share it with EP...

Reasons for doing this:  Gives EP a break on his defensive responsibilities, could focus more on scoring goals and developing his offensive game.

JT Miller is a better face off guy and this will give EP time to develop this part of his game.  

Going up against some big centres in this conference less will give his body a break etc.

Of course then EP would be required to a do a bit more board work so there is a flip side to it, but overall that’s a much more physical demanding role (center) then being a winger.   I think that it would give him more space and time to do what he does and he won’t get constantly mugged near the middle of the ice by opposing defenders.   Also Miller can muck the front of the net which always pulls guys away opening up ice etc, do the garbage work.

Not sure what TG will do, but one of the best things about JT Miller is he has options...

Let Miller take EP's weak side draws. Or let him take the d-zone draws. Lots of ways Green will be able to use him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

This season he spent much of his time on the 3rd-4th line with little PP time and was still able to put up 47 points. The 2 years before that he had 58 and 56 points. He's proven with top 6 minutes he can be a 55 point guy.  Given the fact he'll get the 4th most minutes among forwards playing with guys like Horvat/Boeser/EP+1st unit PP I can definitely seeing him getting 60 point and maybe even more. If he's able to consistently get 55-65 points in his stint I think that our forward group could be decent enough for a playoff spot. The reasons I dislike the trade tho is because Tampa was in a cap crunch situation and we're still in a slightly rebuilding mode. Benning didn't look at all these factors we're really just an EP injury away from being a lottery team which could be disastrous

13 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Is that the case?

Jury's out for now.

It sure is a signal that they think the bottom ten finishes part of the rebuild is over. I do like that we hedged against it though. If we are in fact out of the playoffs for another year, we get to keep the lottery pick. Still does come with risk, but I'm optimistic about our chances.

Adding Miller and not losing anyone significant in our forward group should put us in contention in our division.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

JTM says he likes to hunt.  This brings back bad memories about the last power forward, who liked to hunt, we traded for from a Florida team.  :picard:

I mean, does he hunt for food or for sport? If he hunts for food, I can respect that. If it's for sport.........ergh.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Let Miller take EP's weak side draws. Or let him take the d-zone draws. Lots of ways Green will be able to use him. 

TG has two more impact players that he didn’t have last year to work with in Hughes and JT Miller.    He must be excited...I love Castlegar, I bet he’s visiting his parents and giggling with the thought of Hutton as his third LHD and all the things he can do with JT Miller.

Benning has some work to do to get rid of some chaf...Spooner, Schaller, LE possibly an what not, but if nothing else happens at all I’d say these two additions will put up the standings 10 or more points, no more Gudbranson who was a minus magnet and Poo who was worth the shot but didn’t work out.

Also we’ve just moved Bear to the second line possibly which is where he belongs, has previous chemistry with Horvat etc, and he didn’t even play last year hardly.   Our top six looks pretty darn good now.  Four quality-star players and decent-good secondary players.  

Its hard not to believe that the spokes will come off again with a long losing streak, and take that away last year we were a wild card team.   This year we could earn a spot in the top three easily if all goes well.    

Good time to be a fan, subtle optimism is starting to turn into excitement, for a long time fan I can say I haven’t felt this in a long time when it comes to a new and developing team, not since the Linden - Bure era.  Never got too excited about the WCE team, it didn’t match up with the one we had before, and the Sedin team didnt excite me much until we got Luongo...then it was over the moon especially after the last core (Cloutier).    I can’t recall when we have ever had a team this young and this promising...

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

On Halford and Brough this morning they interviewed a lightning beat reporter and he said that Miller takes a lot of face offs cause he’s good at them, but he doesn’t really play centre.  That makes him a perfect fit on Peteys line cause he could take the face off and transition to left wing after that

On 6/22/2019 at 11:08 AM, DS4quality said:

Well a 2021 1st is a lot to pay for a guy who got 47 points. JB  sure loves American players. Not a fan of Canadians eh JB? 

Who cares where the player is from? Swedish, American, Canadian, it doesnt matter. I want guys that can play good hockey on this team, nationality doesnt matter. Picking players because of where theyre from is how we got Virtanen instead of Nylander, Ehlers etc

• Wat 1