The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

With what chips?  They don't have the assets to trade for a top 4 rhd now

Really makes you wonder how, after 5 years on the job, 3 of Benning's 4 best D-men were inherited and he doesn't have the assets to trade for one that's better (even though the ones he does have aren't that great).

#assetmanagement

• Cheers 1

Just now, brian42 said:

Won’t be easy but definitely explore it, depends how bad a team needs to shed money.  JV and 2nd for Colin Miller? Something along those lines suban was cheap but he cost a lot more than miller in $$. 

They need a top 4 rhd........they cannot go into the season with Tanev as the main RHD, imo.

• Upvote 2

Personally I would rather sign Stralman at 2-3 x $5mil as he is a similar player (smaller & 3 years older, yes) who will come much cheaper while filling the RHD void. He has been a fixture on the PP2 in TBL much like Myers in WPG. He missed 35 games due to injury last season (which might lower his value slightly) and still managed to put up 17 pts, but has been very durable over his career otherwise. If Myers was more physical with his size, I would be cool with more term and money. I just feel like there is a "buyer beware" factor with Myers and he is aware of our need which really gives him leverage. If we can get him at 5 x $6mil all good, but I do not see it being anything less than $7mil.     

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Personally I would rather sign Stralman at 2-3 x $5mil as he is a similar player (smaller & 3 years older, yes) who will come much cheaper while filling the RHD void. He has been a fixture on the PP2 in TBL much like Myers in WPG. He missed 35 games due to injury last season (which might lower his value slightly) and still managed to put up 17 pts, but has been very durable over his career otherwise. If Myers was more physical with his size, I would be cool with more term and money. I just feel like there is a "buyer beware" factor with Myers and he is aware of our need which really gives him leverage. If we can get him at 5 x $6mil all good, but I do not see it being anything less than $7mil.     

I'm not against Stralman, at all, if the price is too high for Myers.  But, I think they'd have to sign another depth dman in that case.

20 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Won’t be easy but definitely explore it, depends how bad a team needs to shed money.  JV and 2nd for Colin Miller? Something along those lines suban was cheap but he cost a lot more than miller in $$. 

Vegas wouldn't even take your call with that offer.

12 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

One would think that Eriksson and Gudbranson’s contracts should weigh heavily on Benning’s mind right now, as he heads into FA.  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

you would complain about the sun being too yellow......it's just your schtik

Forgive me for caring about the team, not wanting them to repeat recent mistakes, and do well in general.

How silly of me.

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

One would think that Eriksson and Gudbranson’s contracts should weigh heavily on Benning’s mind right now, as he heads into FA.  

One would think, and then they brought in Myers for a meeting with the owner, GM and coach as if he was the Kawhi Leonard of the NHL.

Edited by kanucks25

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Forgive me for caring about the team, not wanting them to repeat recent mistakes, and do well in general.

How silly of me.

One would think, and then they brought in Myers for a meeting with the owner, GM and coach as if he was the Kawhi Leonard of the NHL.

Meh, offer him enough money and he'll sign the contract even if he throws up in his face.:P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, then Benning should stay away from signing Myers, to avoid becoming another statistic in overpaying a middling player.

And both are equally questionable in their own end, much like Myers. Benning should stay away from these types of players. He needs to insulate the defense and sign d-men to support the kids. Signing Edler was great, as he's a proven veteran who is a workhorse.

Will Myers (if signed) really bring down the GAA that was one of the biggest issues with the defense last season? Will he provide enough of an uptick in points from the blueline? I'm thinking no one in FA is a very good option at all.

And the cost of an inflated contract that might eventually be untradeable is better?

Our defense needs size and offensive ability more than it needs defense only. Defensive defensemen are much easier to find on bargain contracts.

Signing dmen to support the kids is a pretty big catch all. Support them how?

And as for Myers contributions being enough, who knows? Will he be a better option than almost any dman on our team at this point or available on the market? Very likely.

The contract value and term will be the ultimate determining factor of that anyway. And status quo or bargain tweener type defensive defensemen is not going to cut it for this team to progress. 

15 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I'm not sure how they view him, but to the average fan who watches games, Myers doesn't stand out as a difference maker at all. He seems pretty middle of the road as far as a defenseman goes.

He's average defensively, equally average offensively. He's really tall (oh wow!), but not that heavy for his size, which is great for skating, but not so great from a physicality standpoint, of which he's below average.

The cost to acquire him has more to do with the out of control salaries in the league and far less to do with it being commiserate with his ability on any level.

As well, if they give Myers full protection from the expansion draft, and a huge contract, that's (in my humble opinion) insulting to Alex Edler, who left money, term, and protection on the table to stay, showing his dedication.

I hate to say it but this looks like a desperate move that has the potential to backfire more than it does to succeed.

• Thanks 1

I hope I am wrong about him. I haven’t watched a lot of him but he really sounds like a decent player that is going to get paid just below a star player. 

A second pairing guy making first pairing money. 

Kind of like what Loui was before he crashed and burned here. 

Maybe he will be a really solid partner for Quinn which will make him worth it I guess. 

Still think if Eddie took $6 it shouldn’t be a lot more. Up to $7M is survivable if can get rid of Loui somehow.  More than that is just too much for what he would bring. 

Will still cheer for him and hope he proves me wrong if he signs in Vancouver. 

8 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Our defense needs size and offensive ability more than it needs defense only. Defensive defensemen are much easier to find on bargain contracts.

Size. Once again, Myers is really tall, but not very heavy for his weight, and doesn't have the reputation of a player who uses his size to his and his team's advantage. In fact, Edler had more hits last year than Myers and is way more consistent with his size.

There are other players in FA (Chiarot being one) who possess ideal NHL size, and use it far more convincingly.

This team had one of the worst GAA in the league last year, so the defensive side of things needs serious improvement.

Signing dmen to support the kids is a pretty big catch all. Support them how?

Seeing as how there are a few young defensemen in the Canucks prospect pipeline (Hughes/Juolevi/Woo/Sautner etc etc) having players that some of the younger players can learn from is great. Edler helped Stecher, Hutton, Tanev and others, as did Tanev help Hutton. Hughes appreciated having Schenn as a partner to learn from. Will Myers provide that?

As well, having NHL defensemen who will help to protect the younger players is key right now. Myers doesn't strike me as that type of player.

And as for Myers contributions being enough, who knows? Will he be a better option than almost any dman on our team at this point or available on the market? Very likely.

Based on what exactly? Frankly, Edler is a far better defenseman still, and the only knock on him is that he's 33.

The contract value and term will be the ultimate determining factor of that anyway. And status quo or bargain tweener type defensive defensemen is not going to cut it for this team to progress. 

Yet signing an underwhelming, middling defenseman because he's tall and in his 20's (barely) is the answer? Oh.....cool.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Size. Once again, Myers is really tall, but not very heavy for his weight, and doesn't have the reputation of a player who uses his size to his and his team's advantage. In fact, Edler had more hits last year than Myers and is way more consistent with his size.

There are other players in FA (Chiarot being one) who possess ideal NHL size, and use it far more convincingly.

This team had one of the worst GAA in the league last year, so the defensive side of things needs serious improvement.

Seeing as how there are a few young defensemen in the Canucks prospect pipeline (Hughes/Juolevi/Woo/Sautner etc etc) having players that some of the younger players can learn from is great. Edler helped Stecher, Hutton, Tanev and others, as did Tanev help Hutton. Hughes appreciated having Schenn as a partner to learn from. Will Myers provide that?

As well, having NHL defensemen who will help to protect the younger players is key right now. Myers doesn't strike me as that type of player.

Based on what exactly? Frankly, Edler is a far better defenseman still, and the only knock on him is that he's 33.

Yet signing an underwhelming, middling defenseman because he's tall and in his 20's (barely) is the answer? Oh.....cool.

Wait... Chara isn’t in his 20’s... he’s 42 years old...