The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should JB consider MacEwen in the Canuck top 6?

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It looks like a 2nd buyout window has opened due to buchnevich and trouba filing for arbitration. Window opens sometime later in off season as per pro hockey rumors.

Rangers May Need To Use The Second Buyout Window

JULY 6, 2019 AT 9:06 AM CDT | BY BRIAN LA ROSE 3 COMMENTS

The fact that Rangers winger Pavel Buchnevich and defenseman Jacob Trouba filed for salary arbitration yesterday isn’t particularly noteworthy in itself.  However, them doing so opens up a second buyout window later this offseason and it certainly appears as if GM Jeff Gorton is going to need to use it.

It only opens for the teams who have players filing for arbitration.  Canucks have no one.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Third and probably last time around, but wonder if Goldobin will seize this chance.  He could fit as a playmaker with two responsible 2-way guys in Horvat and Pearson.  But that doesn't mean he can coast, riding their coattails, and has to not only amp up the intensity but start going inside instead of dancing around the perimeter.

Jake's at least ahead of Goldy in that regard but also has to bring consistency, and may be a better bet there despite his lack of playmaking.  Regardless, there's no urgency to fill that spot with a UFA, as it could be filled as early as next year or from within this year.  Leave it open as a carrot, a golden ring for a kid to step up and grab.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

MacEwen is not a top 6 player.

All depends on if he Jels there are many top 6 players in the NHL when you look at in a vacume arent top 6 players but have one or two special skills/qualities that allow them to flourish on a line. I'd be willing to give him a chance in a sheltered offensive role and see how he does. If he impresses give him increased opportunities. 

Start with say

Goldobin Beagle/Sutter Zack 

If he shows well maybe park him net front on the pp2

I dont think he should be gifted a top 6 spot but we can give him every opportunity to earn it and see if he can stick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

You're going to put a probable 20 goal guy on the 4th line?

Not for the whole season.  Gaudette is a better puck handler and passer - what that line needs to round it out.  Virtanen is a threat on that fourth line depending on matchups and he can work his way up the lineup over the year.  Injuries will also happen.   

I am a Virtanen supporter and believe he will work his way up. I am hoping TG gets him killing penalties as well with his speed.  I see Virtanen being a solid third liner who can PK and move up the line up if needed.

I think Sutter gets dealt depending on where the Canucks are after Christmas/if he's healthy and Gaudette goes to center the third line - Virtanen moves up.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

It only opens for the teams who have players filing for arbitration.  Canucks have no one.

Cue the Benning haters for not purposely having someone file for arbitration to have a secondary buyout window just in case we need it. It's like Benning has no plan or strategy in anything he does!

25 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

No offense to the thread creator...  but really, MacEwen isn't an NHL player yet ... unless he shows he can outplay Schaller first.... let alone top 6 consideration! 

My grandfather can outplay Schaller and he’s been residing at Forest Lawn for the past few decades.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

My grandfather can outplay Schaller and he’s been residing at Forest Lawn for the past few decades.

Schaller didn't start off well, but finished off the year decently. His PPG was not far off from the previous season that he was praised for. He just wasn't the physical presence we hoped he would be.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Schaller didn't start off well, but finished off the year decently. His PPG was not far off from the previous season that he was praised for. He just wasn't the physical presence we hoped he would be.

He was like LE #2....and we already have one LE too many.  I don’t read too much into garbage time (final home stretch of the regular season where nothing was at stake).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

How was he unprepared?  He, in fact, said they knew it was a strong possibility and then Luongo also gave them a heads-up.  

He was unprepared in that he allowed it to stop him from doing what he needed to do to improve the forward group in free agency, despite knowing in advance that this was going to happen.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He was unprepared in that he allowed it to stop him from doing what he needed to do to improve the forward group in free agency, despite knowing in advance that this was going to happen.

He did do what he needed to do to improve the forward group. He just did it by trade instead of FA. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

The "10%" at it again...

Seriously, if all you're gonna do is complain about JB, then just leave. The negativity is not good for your own health and it's unpleasant for others. Being critical is fine, but the way these haters are spitting trash really shows the crap that they're going through by taking it out on JB on a message board ffs.

None of us could do as a good a job as Jim does, otherwise we would be up there make these tough decisions and getting paid accordingly.

Go bring your negativity to another team, we don't need your "smart" ass.

Trust the process folks.

This Luongo situation was MG's fault, not JB's. Give yourself a long look in the mirror and ask yourself: Is this how I want to live my life? By bashing someone who is honest and dedicated to the Canucks in every way. 

I really don't know what makes these people think their smarter.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Why is everyone writing off Baertschi? When healthy hes one of our most consistent producers, goal scoring and playmaking. Each line has a powerforward anyway, we don't need Zack just yet, besides his offensive skills aren't top 6 NHL material yet.

Miller (PF) - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson (PF) - Horvat (PF) - Baertschi

Leivo - Sutter - Virtanen (PF)

Goldobin - Gaudette - Motte

If need be we can throw him on that 4th line for 9 mins a game against Calgary. Thats about it. This team has plenty of depth now.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

No offense to the thread creator...  but really, MacEwen isn't an NHL player yet ... unless he shows he can outplay Schaller first.... let alone top 6 consideration! 

No offense taken.  However, Schaller's AHL numbers were no where near as good as MacEwen's and MacEwen is still developing.  In my mind there is no doubt MacEwen becomes a much better player than schaller.

schaller.PNG.eedadc614038b2ccf39ff3f2891b0543.PNG