The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should JB consider MacEwen in the Canuck top 6?

this is not speculation, he out right said it. the price will be 4.35-5 mill for 2-4 years for Ferland or dzingel, I would prefer Dzingel, seems more consistent and overall better, more durable. but we need to more salary out (LE or beartschi or maybe Sutter (although Sutter of the three has the most value to us, cuz gaudette is not quite ready)).

so that is our situation, very simple.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't know why Benning was so unprepared for this. We always knew it was coming, and if it wasn't going to hit us this year, it was going to hit us next year even harder. 

Besides, the amount of bad contracts on the team are far more stifling than the Luongo recapture penalty. Sure, it's a "kick in the shins", but Eriksson's contract, Sutter's contract and Beagle's contract are what's really killing us. 

This:

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I love how the Benning haters just read the title of this and didn't even read the post and just started bashing Benning.

With that said, the post doesn't have much to do with the title, so it is misleading.

With that also said, MacEwen will get his opportunity to win a spot in camp, it is up to him to earn it. There is an opening and maybe 6 or 7 players that are auditioning for a top 6 spot.

As for Benning, before the season even ended, there were questions about addressing our needs in free agency and while majority of people were dreaming about adding a Karlsson or Panarin, Benning had come out and said that we didn't have as much cap space as it may seem. He knew the concerns and didn't want to target a 7+ million dollar top 6 forward, so he acquired a top 6 guy at a good contract. He knew he needed to address the D, which people were asking, he has done that. He knew he needed to add more size, which people were asking for, and he did that. We can still sign Boeser and be under the cap, so he budgeted properly without putting himself in a spot where he needed to dump cap and give up a premium to do so. He knew the Luongo situation was a possibility, but had hoped he would go on LTIR in which he rightfully could have, however his current team wanted him to retire instead. Luongo retiring now was the best case scenario for us aside from going on LTIR. So the only player we may have missed out on is Nyquist because of the rumours and he could've been had for under 6 million too as it appears. Now we will hope a current player shines within our budget (and we have plenty of options), simple as that.

...and this:

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

A second top 6 fwd was always going to be a gravy move......... something that "could" happen if all the pieces fell into place.  Going into the off season he wanted size (check),  a top 6 fwd (check), a top 4 rhd (check) and d depth (check).  Why anyone would complain about the direction is beyond me.........he accomplished exactly what he set out to do, and more than I expected him to.

Clearly it's time to panic :bored:

JT Miller -  Petey -  Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Gaudette

**Baertyschi/Roussel - Sutter - Leivo

Motte - Beagle - Virtanen

** While Roussel is out on LTIR.  Baertschi is actually quite responsible defensively and will help that line score. Two Centers on each top line.

Deal with it if Baer can't go or when Roussel is back.  Let McEwen be a leader in Utica.  

4 minutes ago, Borvat said:

JT Miller -  Petey -  Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Gaudette

**Baertyschi/Roussel - Sutter - Leivo

Motte - Beagle - Virtanen

** While Roussel is out on LTIR.  Baertschi is actually quite responsible defensively and will help that line score. Two Centers on each top line.

Deal with it if Baer can't go or when Roussel is back.  Let McEwen be a leader in Utica.  

You're going to put a probable 20 goal guy on the 4th line?

• Cheers 2

How about letting Baertschi, Virtanen, LE (if he shows), Gaudette, perhaps Goldobin, even MacEwen - compete for that spot and see who comes out ahead at the time.

I don't think anyone can pencil that position it at this point, and if they do, might want to keep the eraser handy.

The thing about the candidates - Baer has been a top 6 here for a few years (when healthy), LE is a long time top 6 (if he can regain LE), Gaudette imo has top 6 talent but is a work in progress, Virtanen has great tools and style of game to complement the Pearson Horvat line imo, Goldobin has top 6 creative talent but who knows if he'll complete his game, or fit well on that line, and you never know, maybe MacEwen (or other) breaks out in camp....

Another possibility is that they move Baertschi and gain the cap they lost to Luo's recrap.  Or get lucky and LE's superagent finds a home for him....in which case, they could still enter the trade market, maybe even the shrinking UFA market.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I still think that JB goes pretty hard after a top 6 forward and top 4 D.  Teams are going to be pushing pretty hard to clear space to sign some of the remaining UFA's, or to create some wiggle room under the cap.  A guy like Gusev, who LV probably won't trade to a division rival, would be a perfect example.

I could see one, some or all of Sutter, LE, Schaller, Goldy, Baertschi, Tanev, and Biega be waived/traded/bought out to make room.  I can't see us trading our 2nd rounder for the next two years, as we would then potentially not be picking until the 3rd round. We don't have a ton of value on that list, so not expecting much in return.  I'd love to see us open up enough $ to get Ferland or Dzingel though.

As it stands, I think we have 4 top 6 players in EP, BB, Bo, Miller.  Hopefully Podkolzin comes over next year and takes up the 5th spot and We get Ferland or Dzigel for the other.  That could potentially be a very good group in 2 years.    Bottom 6 is solid.  Having young guys like Gaudette, Virtanen and Motte will go a long way for us.

Our D is in pretty good shape.  Having Woo, Joulevi, and possibly Tryamkin come up over the next 2 years will help out a pretty solid core.  I expect Hughes and Meyers to add a bunch of sorely missed offence to the back end.  

I think we have 2 high end goalie prospects in DiPietro and Demko, as well as an adequate place holder in Markstrom.  We are pretty well set if one of the 2 can be a legit #1.

This isn’t speculation JB has said this and Nyquist likely would have been the guy. 

Shouldnt be any excuses though im sure he could find a way to clear space & sign 1.  Not being creative enough and/or working hard enough. 

9 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So Utica it is. 

Player coach time.

I don’t want his attitude to be infecting our prospects there.  Demote him but tell him not to bother reporting.  Best of both worlds.  He still gets his paycheques and doesn’t have to ride the buses.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don’t want his attitude to be infecting our prospects there.  Demote him but tell him not to bother reporting.  Best of both worlds.  He still gets his paycheques and doesn’t have to ride the buses.

When young players play with him he must look like a big bag of money on skates.

Add a three million bag on July 1st.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Because no one in the hockey world thought Lu would actually retire instead of going on ltir. He's injured and can't play and this would've qualified for it, like every one else does to help their team (in this case teams), but for some reason he morally decided to retire and we got hit. So it's not that JB wasn't prepared, just that he wasn't expected it. But it happened and he's dealing with it just fine.

As for the contracts that you say are hindering us, they are now getting in the way because the stellar play of the likes of Petey and Brock have sped up our rebuild a little unexpectedly. Those contracts were given with a specific timeline in mind, but now that our young guys are stars and transforming our team so quickly, the plan has sped up a little, so now those couple of contracts in hindsight don't look the greatest. The good news is some guys can either be traded or just expire when the time comes and we can move forward. Aside from LE, I still think Beagle and even Sutter (if they can stay healthy) can help us a ton this year. Aside from them, I can't wait until LE's gone haha.

Apparently he wants to work with Florida, but can't if he's on LTIR or something like that.

28 minutes ago, brian42 said:

This isn’t speculation JB has said this and Nyquist likely would have been the guy. 

Those are two entirely different things to attempt to qualify.

No doubt Benning would have been looking at another forward - but that was easily 4th among his priorities.

Assuming who that target likely 'would have' been is absolute speculation - we heard some pretty loopy rumours leading up to free agency - Nyqvist was a better option than some of the Zucker et al rumours - but Nyqvist wound up in Columbus - a very competitive club in spite of some of their losses this summer - there is nothing to say he would have opted for Vancouver over Columbus even if Vancouver had no recrap obstacle to deal with.

11 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Whoever wins the job come fall will be there to start. Honestly there’s a few candidates that would probably do just fine. Having JT and Pearson now makes a huge difference. You could sneak Leivo, Virtanen, Bear and the line will be fine. I really don’t think we need to do anything drastic. 

Love MacEwen but he’s a bottom six forward. Most players in the NHL have had good offensive numbers in Junior, Ahl etc

Just curious why you say this. MacEwen had good numbers in junior and then almost doubled his ahl output from his ahl season 1 to ahl season 2.

What is to say he will end up as a bottom 6 player?  I am just trying to find stats on current nhl'ers and how they performed in the ahl with respect to scoring but I would like to hear your opinion.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I still think that JB goes pretty hard after a top 6 forward and top 4 D.  Teams are going to be pushing pretty hard to clear space to sign some of the remaining UFA's, or to create some wiggle room under the cap.  A guy like Gusev, who LV probably won't trade to a division rival, would be a perfect example.

I could see one, some or all of Sutter, LE, Schaller, Goldy, Baertschi, Tanev, and Biega be waived/traded/bought out to make room.  I can't see us trading our 2nd rounder for the next two years, as we would then potentially not be picking until the 3rd round. We don't have a ton of value on that list, so not expecting much in return.  I'd love to see us open up enough $ to get Ferland or Dzingel though.

As it stands, I think we have 4 top 6 players in EP, BB, Bo, Miller.  Hopefully Podkolzin comes over next year and takes up the 5th spot and We get Ferland or Dzigel for the other.  That could potentially be a very good group in 2 years.    Bottom 6 is solid.  Having young guys like Gaudette, Virtanen and Motte will go a long way for us.

Our D is in pretty good shape.  Having Woo, Joulevi, and possibly Tryamkin come up over the next 2 years will help out a pretty solid core.  I expect Hughes and Meyers to add a bunch of sorely missed offence to the back end.  

I think we have 2 high end goalie prospects in DiPietro and Demko, as well as an adequate place holder in Markstrom.  We are pretty well set if one of the 2 can be a legit #1.

The buyout window closed on 30 June for the Canucks.  There's no second window as no one filed for arbitration. It opens back up mid-June next year.

Going back to the original post to this Thread,  I think MacEwan will make a big impression in camp if his Summer has been disciplined and on track. The young man is goal oriented, and I beleive “Now” is the time frame which he wanted to make his move for shot with this Team.

If he cracks the lineup, he will be surrounded by fantastic attitudes in Beagle, Rousell, JTMiller, Myers, and Benn.. the timing could not be better actually. It’s that support that will not only help him refine his mental/physical game, but will allow him the time and space for the skill set, and above average skating he showed in Junior, to come back on line.

Im curious to know or understand if there is any avenue to appealing the “Luongo” penalty that effects the Canucks cap..

Has there been previous agreements like this,.  Or perhaps an agreement that was similar after, that was subsequently altered so as not to have the same implications this contract has had.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I love how the Benning haters just read the title of this and didn't even read the post and just started bashing Benning.

With that said, the post doesn't have much to do with the title, so it is misleading.

With that also said, MacEwen will get his opportunity to win a spot in camp, it is up to him to earn it. There is an opening and maybe 6 or 7 players that are auditioning for a top 6 spot.

As for Benning, before the season even ended, there were questions about addressing our needs in free agency and while majority of people were dreaming about adding a Karlsson or Panarin, Benning had come out and said that we didn't have as much cap space as it may seem. He knew the concerns and didn't want to target a 7+ million dollar top 6 forward, so he acquired a top 6 guy at a good contract. He knew he needed to address the D, which people were asking, he has done that. He knew he needed to add more size, which people were asking for, and he did that. We can still sign Boeser and be under the cap, so he budgeted properly without putting himself in a spot where he needed to dump cap and give up a premium to do so. He knew the Luongo situation was a possibility, but had hoped he would go on LTIR in which he rightfully could have, however his current team wanted him to retire instead. Luongo retiring now was the best case scenario for us aside from going on LTIR. So the only player we may have missed out on is Nyquist because of the rumours and he could've been had for under 6 million too as it appears. Now we will hope a current player shines within our budget (and we have plenty of options), simple as that.

I will modify the title if that is the case.

14 minutes ago, mll said:

The buyout window closed on 30 June for the Canucks.  There's no second window as no one filed for arbitration. It opens back up mid-June next year.

So even if they wanted to, the Canucks couldn't buyout LE?

Thanks for that, I didn't know this.

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

So even if they wanted to, the Canucks couldn't buyout LE?

Thanks for that, I didn't know this.

It looks like a 2nd buyout window has opened due to buchnevich and trouba filing for arbitration. Window opens sometime later in off season as per pro hockey rumors.

Rangers May Need To Use The Second Buyout Window

JULY 6, 2019 AT 9:06 AM CDT | BY BRIAN LA ROSE 3 COMMENTS

The fact that Rangers winger Pavel Buchnevich and defenseman Jacob Trouba filed for salary arbitration yesterday isn’t particularly noteworthy in itself.  However, them doing so opens up a second buyout window later this offseason and it certainly appears as if GM Jeff Gorton is going to need to use it.

Edited by Kanukfanatic