The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I understand the point and I agree with it. 

That said, I think it's important to note that most of our top end guys....Petey, Boes, Bo....are pretty solid puck distributors themselves. Not elite set-up guys like Henrik was, but solid enough that we can experiment with different combinations and that we don't need to be hemmed into a position when we absolutely need an elite puck distributor on both our top 6 lines. We don't have any Laines on this team.

Regardless, it's nice to have so many options.

I think vision and technique have to be separated here.  I think technically they are quite good.  The vision isn't really good.  Bo and Boeser are both very similar in some respects.  Bo likes to rush and finish around the net.  Boeser likes to take players on shoot off the deke.  What the Sedin's did better than anyone was their patience with the puck...They allowed the opportunity to develop.  They saw ahead.  Pettersson and Goldobin have shown these types of plays together.  Baertschi has that ability and mindset.  I haven't seen that out of anyone else on the roster.  Its not a requirement by any means, but it is always good to have a variety of ways to attack an opponent.  The ability to slow the game down and probe over faster paced shot off the rush.

I stand by what I said.  If Baertschi stays healthy, he will have a significant impact on the success of the team.  He will be big positive on the powerplay and have a career best season.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

We're at the point where people who have lobbied to get JB fired the past 5 years are now uncomfortable with the idea the team might actually push for the playoffs this season.  Complaining about (mostly overblown) cap implications 3-4 years from now is pretty much the last foothold for them.. this offseason has undoubtedly left us a stronger club, in every conceivable way.  

Exactly.

If Benning can't make the playoffs by now - he should be fired!!!

Benning had one jobzzz - he should be sitting on his hands for a few more years waiting for his picks to incubate!!

They're so full of shat.

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

We might actually beat the Leafs to the Second Round. :lol:

It wasn't that long ago that someone here proposed a bet, that the Canucks would be the first Canadian team to make it back to the SC Finals.

Ottawa - rebuild

Edmonton - stagnant

Calgary - stagnant, goaltending again

Winnipeg - big$ RFAs, holes to fill esp. on D

Toronto - last kick at the can, even less grit now

Montreal - progressing, still have cap space to use

We're past Edmonton and Ottawa, and likely caught Toronto.  Will have to see if Calgary can replicate last season and if Winnipeg can fill their holes, but Montreal is on the upswing as well.  Not bad for just 5 years, when the team was falling into the downturn and hadn't started turning over the aging roster yet.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Jeff Patterson’s take on the  Ferland signing .

....I’m not even going to say anything, the better minds here will.. I posted a picture of what I thought he was as a sports journalist and got suspended for 3 days...  

Yeah, I tend to take anything he says with a grain of salt. I think it was TSN I saw him on one day and he made me switch channels. It was that bad.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Don't be so sure!! Holland can lure JB with a couple second round picks as sweetner!!! JB, well aware that CDC wasn't too thrilled with the first pick given up in the JT Miller trade, pushes the panic button!

Benning takes those two picks and then flips Lucic to Columbus along with a 2nd like a boss.

Ends up with a 2nd round pick and no anchors.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I stand by what I said.  If Baertschi stays healthy, he will have a significant impact on the success of the team.  He will be big positive on the powerplay and have a career best season.

I will agree with you here. I'm not someone that thinks Baer has become a completely disposable asset with the additions this offseason. Even if he doesn't play in the top 6, I could see him being a key cog in the bottom 6 and 2nd unit PP, especially with Roussel out to start the season. Whereas I believe the vision and playmaking ability of the guys in our top 6 is overall solid, I feel that players like Leivo, Virtanen, Gaudette, Sutter, etc could really benefit from having a true setup man like Baer with them. It could be the difference between Virtanen netting 12 or 20 goals. I only bring up Roussel because, in addition to being one hell of a pest, I feel like he's one of the better puck distributors on the team as well, and losing him for the start of the season kinda ups Baer's value to us even more, at least in the short term.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, I tend to take anything he says with a grain of salt. I think it was TSN I saw him on one day and he made me switch channels. It was that bad.

I can understand a bit of Devils Advocacy in discussionsand journalism..  but his opinions,. And questions to players, management and ownership , are just totally uneducated and disrespectful at times.   

I don’t know how he survives..  kind of running on brain dead.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I will agree with you here. I'm not someone that thinks Baer has become a completely disposable asset with the additions this offseason. Even if he doesn't play in the top 6, I could see him being a key cog in the bottom 6 and 2nd unit PP, especially with Roussel out to start the season. Whereas I believe the vision and playmaking ability of the guys in our top 6 is overall solid, I feel that players like Leivo, Virtanen, Gaudette, Sutter, etc could really benefit from having a true setup man like Baer with them. It could be the difference between Virtanen netting 12 or 20 goals. I only bring up Roussel because, in addition to being one hell of a pest, I feel like he's one of the better puck distributors on the team as well, and losing him for the start of the season kinda ups Baer's value to us even more, at least in the short term.

Roussell is a very unselfish player with the puck.  He hustles harder than anyone and forechecks well.  His assist are all well earned.  Ultimate team guy.  I really hope they keep Baertschi in the top 6, but pre-season will determine everything.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

It is confusing how someone can ignore winning as a factor in development.  Winning makes players better.  Playing with better players makes players better.  A lot of picks in the 10-30 range aren't even sure things.  They need more than just ice time to get better.  Stockpiling young players and not supporting them with good veterans and actually winning some games is not a recipe for success.  20 yearolds are all about enthusiasm, emotion and excitement.  That's hard to generate when you loose for half a decade.  Good on Jim for taking his shot this summer.  Ferland, Myers, Benn and Miller is quite a haul for one summer.

Exactly. Edmonton showed us that you can not rebuild with just young guys through the draft, but you need the supplementary veterans that teach a winning culture. Rebuilding is not lose, lose, lose, win/contend for the cup. It is lose, push for the playoffs, make the playoffs, win/contend for the cup. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1