The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on how Vancouver stacks up to division rivals

Rate this topic

aqua59

On 7/13/2019 at 1:46 PM, Chris12345 said:

One obvious thing to consider is last year the Pacific and the bottom of the West was trash.

This is good and bad. Vancouver did better last year because their division was so bad. This year if the division is just as bad Vancouver will clean up. 

If the division improves, Vancouver will have a harder time.

Except Vancouver was average within the division and had a pretty respectable record outside the division. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Teams that improved since end of last season.  ARI, VAN.

Teams that stayed the same CAL, EDM, LA, ANA

Teams that regressed slightly VEG (not that it matters) 

Teams that regressed a more SJ.

Of these teams CAL and Vegas are definitely better then us.   SJ I’m not so sure, it really depends on EKs health.  

We are better then the rest.   I’d put is 4th with an asterisk.   And SJ third with and asterisk.  Could be either them or us based on quite a few things.  The nice thing is we are on an upward swing and they are hanging on tooth and nail. 

• Cheers 1

Chemistry will be key when there’s a lot of new faces.

But, on paper this looks like a playoff team. 

Young, fast, balanced group with great size.

Josh Leivo looked pretty capable of playing a top-9 role, but we still went out and got guys to slot above him.

That’s how you arrive at a deep lineup.

Find pieces you like in each area of the team game (role players like Motte, a backup with starter potential in Demko, leadership and hustle with Roussel, all-around guys with projectable traits like Leivo), cut ties with the ones that don’t quite fit (Granlund, Hutton, Pouliot), and continue to accumulate talent.

No idea where we fit in our division right now, but I’m impressed with how this team is constructed on the whole.

• Upvote 2

My divisional rankings for Forwards, Defense and Goaltending.  I'll be honest, it's pretty much all eyeball test and based on perceived depth (e.g. the Oilers obviously have big point producing forwards in McDavid and Draisaitl.  Even RNH had a good year.  Their depth drops off significantly after that though).  There's still a lot of likely movement on the rosters (e.g. VGK only has 5 NHL D under contract, not including contracted prospects of course, but still.  They're also still over the cap).

ANA (F: 8; D: 8; G: 2)

ARI (F: 7; D: 6; G: 7)

CGY (F: 2; D: 2; G: 6)

EDM (F: 6; D: 7; G: 8)

LAK (F: 5; D: 5; G: 3)

SJS (F: 3; D: 1; G: 4)

VAN (F: 4; D: 4; G: 5)

VGK (F: 1; D: 3; G: 1)

Despite Vegas' cap problems, I think they're still one of the deepest teams.  I'm expecting a pretty horrible year from the Ducks with the main silver lining being Gibson.

None of the above numbers indicate where a team will rank in the standings but I think the Canucks look, on paper, to be one of the more balanced teams in the division this year which should translate into better competitiveness overall.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

A very big difference from last season to next is the schedule. 

Only one 6 game road trip vs 3 last season.

Also read somewhere Canucks played 13 times last year when traveling the night before. That drops drastically next season.  And the opposing team travelling the day before playing Canucks increases by quite a margin. 

Should be a big help for the team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

Pacific

1. Las Vegas*

2. San Jose*

3. Calgary*

4. Vancouver *

5. Arizona

6. Edmonton 

7. LA 

8. Anaheim

* = Playoff teams

Doubtful 4 teams from the Pacific make the playoffs. Will more than likely be 5 Central 3 Pacific. 

I think the Central is overrated.

Winnipeg is worse.

Nashville is treading water (I'm not sure Duchene moves the needle at all)

Dallas is slightly better but is always unpredictable. If Benn doesn't rebound and Bishop reverts or gets hurt as usual they are in trouble.

Colorado is going to be great..in a couple years. There are way too many question marks on that team for them to be rated as high as people have them. It's ridiculous.

Chicago is better assuming Debrincat and Strome don't regress. Still a bubble team.

Minny is better than people are meme-ing, but still a bubble team.

St Louis is a complete wildcard. They'll be somewhere in between last season's two halves.

There's not a single sure thing in that division.

I think Nashville/Dallas/Winnipeg get in, but the Pacific definitely have a chance to get both Wildcard spots.

Edited by mephnick

If Benning keeps Tanev for the whole year I expect Van to make playoffs. Making playoffs would be a good experience for the younger players but I still want Tanev moved asap. He will not be on the roster when Van becomes a true CUP contender in 3 years. Move him now for some kind of value before his career dives. Moving him gives some TOI to younger d-prospects who will be part of the CUP contender team. Move Tanev and there is still a outside chance the Canucks can still make playoffs.    

18 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If Benning keeps Tanev for the whole year I expect Van to make playoffs. Making playoffs would be a good experience for the younger players but I still want Tanev moved asap. He will not be on the roster when Van becomes a true CUP contender in 3 years. Move him now for some kind of value before his career dives. Moving him gives some TOI to younger d-prospects who will be part of the CUP contender team. Move Tanev and there is still a outside chance the Canucks can still make playoffs.    

We don’t have anyone that can fill his role full-time though... love bull-dog but he’s not good enough.   That said if we have to trade him wait until the TDL and hope he’s healthy... if not rest him for our own playoff push, if a decent deal comes take it.  I agree with this but think it’s one year too early or three too late ha ha.  The following year we should absolutely most definitely trade him, for whatever we can get, because he’s not coming back.  His money will be needed for EP and Hughes and we will be playing a rookie the following year or a Schenn type just to get under the cap.  

Same goes for Sutter (next year).  However what I see actually happening is we keep both, Benning won’t want the team to be a lottery team either year and his best chance to do that is keep his vets unless AG blows away the competition and Woo does the same (both very unlikely).  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

My divisional rankings for Forwards, Defense and Goaltending.  I'll be honest, it's pretty much all eyeball test and based on perceived depth (e.g. the Oilers obviously have big point producing forwards in McDavid and Draisaitl.  Even RNH had a good year.  Their depth drops off significantly after that though).  There's still a lot of likely movement on the rosters (e.g. VGK only has 5 NHL D under contract, not including contracted prospects of course, but still.  They're also still over the cap).

ANA (F: 8; D: 8; G: 2)

ARI (F: 7; D: 6; G: 7)

CGY (F: 2; D: 2; G: 6)

EDM (F: 6; D: 7; G: 8)

LAK (F: 5; D: 5; G: 3)

SJS (F: 3; D: 1; G: 4)

VAN (F: 4; D: 4; G: 5)

VGK (F: 1; D: 3; G: 1)

Despite Vegas' cap problems, I think they're still one of the deepest teams.  I'm expecting a pretty horrible year from the Ducks with the main silver lining being Gibson.

None of the above numbers indicate where a team will rank in the standings but I think the Canucks look, on paper, to be one of the more balanced teams in the division this year which should translate into better competitiveness overall.

Not bad... think SJ goalie rank is too high, Jones was way below average last year would swap them with us.  Also ARI Goalies are higher then that.   Would argue are forwards are higher then SJ too, would swap those too.  Would swap Vegas F with CAL although it’s pretty close and move their D (Vegas) down a spot, he’s solid but unremarkable.  LAs forwards are too high...they are going to stink it up this year, and 3 for G is only if Quick is healthy. 

This where I’d put Van

F. 3. D. 4 G 3 (if Markstrom continues like he did).  

On paper at least we are the most improved team in the division.   ARI second, adding Kessel was a boon, and Raanta is one of the best when he plays too.  Team on the rise.

SJ ...  well they won’t be as good without Pavelski and Thornton (he may still sign though).   Really their fortunes are in EKs hands now, he wasn’t close to 100%, if he is I’d say they have a chance for first, if he’s the same they will struggle to get a wild card spot.  Team on a decline.  Jones wasn’t that good either, average at best. 

Overall only locks are Vegas and CAL.   The rest is anyone’s guess other then LA and ANA stinking it up big time.   Even EDM could surprise.  

The main factors for the canucks imo that will determine if they take the next step forward.

1.) EP builds on his stellar season and hits the 80 point threshold

2.) Boeser becomes a consistent goal scoring threat. ( I think he gets 35 plus this year)

3.) Marky doesnt regress

4.) Edler and Tanev stay relatively healthy. ( Tanev unfortunately these days is a lock to get hurt inevitably) 

5.) Hughes is the real deal ( I think he is an absolute phenom and will challenge strongly for the calder)

I think this group has a real good shot of making the playoffs, and I expect them to sneak in. Either way this season will be great to watch.

Also just name BO captain already please it is time ....

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, aqua59 said:

I noticed a far more comprehensive thread than this. i didn't see it below. 

This is a good thread too, aqua59.

I think that the Canucks definitely have improved this offseason. This team will be a handful for every team in the Pacific, not just Edmonton and Arizona. They've added two proven top six wingers, both of whom are players who revel in the physical game, while putting up points and playing with speed and skill.

The addition of Myers and Benn will go a long way towards shoring up the lack of depth on defense, although I believe Benning is still looking to add one more blueliner via a trade.

Markstrom and Demko were exemplary last season and will come back even more motivated with a reinvigorated team in front of them.

Vancouver is looking like one of the most physical teams in the division now.

This team is going to have a great season.

16 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

A very big difference from last season to next is the schedule. 

Only one 6 game road trip vs 3 last season.

Also read somewhere Canucks played 13 times last year when traveling the night before. That drops drastically next season.  And the opposing team travelling the day before playing Canucks increases by quite a margin. 

Should be a big help for the team. 

I agree about the schedule. It might end up being the most important key to success next season. The schedule is much more balanced - especially when compared to last season's crazy November and February schedules.

Last season the team had 35 wins, 36 loses, and 11 loser points. In November and February the team played 18 of their 41 away games (or 43.9% of the season's away games in two months!). In that same time period they played an additional 10 home games for a total of 28 games. Their record during those two months was 7 wins, 15 loses, and 6 loser points.

If those two months are removed, the team's overall record was 28 wins, 21 loses, and 5 loser points. Projected over an 82 game season their record would be approximately 42-32-8 or good for 92 points and the 8th seed.

Now we need to consider the benefits of months with higher home games so the above calculation is in no way a given but it does show the negative impact of the crazy schedule. 

Additionally the heavy away schedule in those months contributed to injuries during that time (key ones being Edler and Tanev) so hopefully the more balanced schedule limits injuries as well (knock on wood).

It is not crazy to think that the team could earn an extra 5 wins from the much improved schedule and say another 5 wins from the improved line-up - putting them at 45 wins next year or at approximately 95 to 98 points (which would have been good for 6th place last year).

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This is a good thread too, aqua59.

I think that the Canucks definitely have improved this offseason. This team will be a handful for every team in the Pacific, not just Edmonton and Arizona. They've added two proven top six wingers, both of whom are players who revel in the physical game, while putting up points and playing with speed and skill.

The addition of Myers and Benn will go a long way towards shoring up the lack of depth on defense, although I believe Benning is still looking to add one more blueliner via a trade.

Markstrom and Demko were exemplary last season and will come back even more motivated with a reinvigorated team in front of them.

Vancouver is looking like one of the most physical teams in the division now.

This team is going to have a great season.

I think the Canucks will have the best goaltending in the Pacific and top 3 in the West.........that is going to go a long long way in getting to the post season. If Marky and Demko build on last season and the team can stay healthy, I think they are in the ball park of a divisional spot.

• Cheers 1