The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Disagree that he would be fired if they don't make the playoffs. We have been progressing and last year we were out of the playoffs by something like 8 points. We are a bubble wild card team next year, but have made some decent moves to hopefully push us over the top, but not necessarily guaranteed. We are simply needing to fight for a wild card spot this year and if we don't make it, then so be it. We advance more next year and should hopefully make it by then. The Miller deal involving the 1st seems to indicate this mindset so we are protected this year and so is Benning's job. If Benning is fired after this season, something drastic would've happened.

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

On top of this ^^^, I'm with Theo, I highly doubt he's 'fired if we miss the playoffs' either.

We're quite likely a bubble team this year barring catastrophic injuries or similar. But we could do what Montreal did last year of having a really good season and just narrowly miss the playoffs and I don't think he'd be at any risk of being fired.

Or likewise, we could have an awful season with a bunch of injuries to key players and miss the playoffs by a mile and I highly doubt he'd be fired either.

As I said earlier in this thread, 'playoffs or fired' is FAR too reductive and lacking in context. If we miss the playoffs, why? Does Myers look like Eriksson 2.0 on defense? Are Miller and Ferland both playing in our bottom 6 because they haven't fit? THOSE things might get him fired eventually (on the slim chance they occur). A blanket 'miss the playoffs' though? Nope.

We would have been a bubble team already last year had we been healthy.

Jim Benning essentially went all in for a playoff push this offseason. We are a cap team that sacrificed a future first rounder and dropped about 15 mill on new assets. If Bennings investments don't push us into the playoffs and he isn't fired it'll be because the man is an oversized sock puppet who the Aquilinis shake every once in a while to make him say and do what they want. 

Edited by Mathew Barzal
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Incredible well positioned for what? To re-sign our players or sign our core AND add good prime aged players that want to come here. Like we did with Hamhuis & Malhotra for example.

You say cap is rising but player salaries will also rise. That works both ways. Pettersson alone will probably be an 11 million dollar player. If not more depending where the cap/market goes. 

We gotta be more prudent with our money moving forward, is my point. Can't be paying 20 million (1/4th the cap) for forwards who score less than 30 points a season. When Pettersson & Hughes are making big money. (+ what Boeser gets + what we pay our legit starter whether it be Marky now or hopefully Demko down the road) we need to spend the rest of our money wisely. That 2011 team would've never happened if you had Eriksson or Beagles or Sutters. Every cap dollar was maximized. That what we are going to need to get back too in the next couple years. Contracts will come off the books, Benning will have the opportunity, but he'll have to do a little better with the cap than we he has so far.

Term is super important and Benning got some character grit guys for the short term, that will be gone before EP and Quinn get paid. Leivo at one year is a great gamble. The middling draftpicks, as always, make a huge difference to a window's size and length. By the time EP gets a big payday, lots of big contracts are again gone. Its what you can get out of the short term contract guys and league min guys that turn a contender into a favorite. We need some guys like MacEwen, Lind, and others to try to push for careers in the next couple seasons when a lot of veteran depth contracts run out. 3 years time is when this team should be looking at taking the next leap to elite, or spin our wheels like Winnipeg.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xereau said:

Term is super important and Benning got some character grit guys for the short term, that will be gone before EP and Quinn get paid. Leivo at one year is a great gamble. The middling draftpicks, as always, make a huge difference to a window's size and length. By the time EP gets a big payday, lots of big contracts are again gone. Its what you can get out of the short term contract guys and league min guys that turn a contender into a favorite. We need some guys like MacEwen, Lind, and others to try to push for careers in the next couple seasons when a lot of veteran depth contracts run out. 3 years time is when this team should be looking at taking the next leap to elite, or spin our wheels like Winnipeg.

Hopefully our guys will want to stay and we won’t have a Trouba incident - a big part of their problems and now Laine problems.   They still have time to turn things around and the cap space to do it.  But looks like a down year or two could also be in their future.  

Definitely agree with what your saying though and with what the post your replying to is saying, the vet placeholders Benning brought in need to be replaced by cheaper internal options to maximize our ability to ice the best team and pay our core at the same time.    Don’t think we have much of any cap problems given the amount of guys coming of the the books in the next two to three years - but do think we will have problems if the players we bring up aren’t ready or good enough when they do come up.  AG looks to be  Sutters long term replacement - then we have one year of Beagle left and need Madden to also step up.  At least the contracts are staggered in a way that gives the team a few years to prepare for the transition and really at this point everyone but Miller, Horvat and Myers are the only ones on the books for four seasons plus - everyone else done in one-three.   Rousel, Sutter, Beagle, Schaller, Bear, Edler, Tanev and on and on.   The placeholder era is coming to a close.   That said as many posters have shown, a team doesn’t win cups without a lot of UFA help and possibly a few picks traded for other players and signed from other teams.   It takes a village, and a buy in from the team sometimes too (leaving money on the table like Burrows did - of course he got it back with his last contract).  

As far as EP getting 11plus...well I guess that could be like a guy getting 9.5-10 now - that’s Kucherov like I don’t expect him to get that unless he reverts back to the type of player he was the first few months (1.3 PPG) and plays healthy for most of the next two years.  At a mortal PPG we should be anticipating around 8-9.  What Point and MT get plus a bit. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 4

5 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

We would have been a bubble team already last year had we been healthy.

Jim Benning essentially went all in for a playoff push this offseason. We are a cap team that sacrificed a future first rounder and dropped about 15 mill on new assets. If Bennings investments don't push us into the playoffs and he isn't fired it'll be because the man is an oversized sock puppet who the Aquilinis shake every once in a while to make him say and do what they want. 

Coaching would be fired first in this instance. Benning has given Green better personnel and depth for him to work with. Benning has at least another season beyond the next especially after this extension.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

We were already a bubble team last year until injuries piled up

Addition of Miller, Myers and Ferland paired with a full season for Bo and Pearson together I believe this is a playoff team. 

Calgary swapped albatrosses and garbage goalies with the Oilers.

San Jose downgraded significantly

LA and Anaheim are rebuilding

Edmonton may have to rebuild yet again 

Arizona is improving but still have a ways to go

Vegas is the playoff shoe-in but feeling the cap crunch already. 

This is debatable. The playoff bar last year was so low and we still finished well outside. And even that stronger finish last year hinged entirely on Markstrom's goaltending. If he wasnt elite it couldve very well been a bottom 5 team. This year we will he much improved I agree. But him continuing that elite play is an absolute must to get in.

Vegas is a cup contender.

SJ lost Pavelski but still have a playoff team. Karlsson, Burns, Couture, Vlasic, Meier, exc. It's still a good roster.

Calgary will take a step back but should still be a playoff team. Still have Gaudreau & Gio. Plus a deep defense.

Winning a division spot will be tough. But aside from Arizona we are better than all the other teams.

Arizona had 4 more wins & 5 more points than us last year with worse injuries than we had. And theyve improved. I wouldnt totally write them off as a playoff team.

We'll be compete with AZ & the Central teams for 2 spots. And the central teams might be the bigger challenge.

It won't be easy. Some things will have to go in our favour like injuries, markstrom, and Petey taking a big step IMO.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

I’ll just leave this right here...

https://thecanuckway.com/2019/08/19/vancouver-canucks-3-reasons-why-jim-benning-extension-is-the-right-move/4/

It doesn’t hit every point some of us have been trying to get across, but it’s close and a good overall summary. 

I suggest some of the naysayers / people I blocked read this. Cough KOS / Where’d Luongo? cough! 

Edited by IRR

12 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

You do realize he has an agent which handles the negations.

Sucks his dads sick to bad the canucks did treat him like the star player he is and sign him early so it would be one less thing he’d have to have on his mind at this time. 

You do realize there are many factors in play here. He has a gravely ill father, the market is waiting for Marner to set the market and blaming Jim Benning for that has to be the most ridiculous thing i have heard on CDC this summer. They are clearly giving  him respectful space while he deals with what is an awful event in all of our lives , when we lose a parent. Stop trolling and have some respect

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

You do realize there are many factors in play here. He has a gravely ill father, the market is waiting for Marner to set the market and blaming Jim Benning for that has to be the most ridiculous thing i have heard on CDC this summer. They are clearly giving  him respectful space while he deals with what is an awful event in all of our lives , when we lose a parent. Stop trolling and have some respect

100%!!! I think some people’s brains on here are on summer vacation right now!! It’s crazy!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is exactly what leads to problems. Impatience to want to win it all.

You have to get into the playoffs, get experience on what it takes to win the playoffs. 

Also have the depth to win a long playoff run. What it takes to win the cup generally is 3 forward lines that can score, and play against no matter what style the other team has.

You need good goaltending. And most important you need 1-2 Norris calibre d-men, and 4-5 other solid d-men. 

All 31 teams want to win the Stanley Cup. (Soon to be 32)  Only one makes it every year. 

The problem KOS you seem to have, is you think your way is the only way to get there. Last season no one thought St. Louis would win it all. They looked dead in the water.

Surprise! I don't mind what Benning is doing. Probably because I see the pattern of what he wants to do. 

A critic will always find things to be critical of. Just agree to disagree. We all want the same thing. To win a cup. We just disagree how to get there, and what mix works best.

This is the most sound logic I've read in this thread in awhile. I'd upvote this 100 more times if I could. Way too much negativity going on in this thread at the moment from both sides.

People need to understand that there are different opinions and instead of trying to bash the other person, just step back and agree to disagree on the matter.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Marner and Boes are not comparables, in fact I'd say Boeser is a tier below the big three, unsigned RFA's and shouldn't be using them as a bar.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Marner and Boes are not comparables, in fact I'd say Boeser is a tier below the big three, unsigned RFA's and shouldn't be using them as a bar.

I didnt say they were comparables, but the market is waiting for Marner to set the ceiling before the other RFA's sign. Boeser may not get what Marner gets but it will set the  the market for what the others can ask for

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Tavares deal wasn’t too bright either.  

I disagree. I would do the Tavares deal easily. It's the after planning/execution from being so arrogant after signing Tavares is what made them foolish.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I disagree. I would do the Tavares deal easily. It's the after planning/execution from being so arrogant after signing Tavares is what made them foolish.

I dont disagree here its what you do with the team and the players that you have to sign after you make the JT signing. Whose minutes does he take and what player becomes expendable if you use that cap space.

Edited by mikeyman109