The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oscar Fantenberg | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

57 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Oscar needs to get back in the trashcan.

calling a substitutioner trash? hes battling like everyone else and hes done some goood things also. However if ur inconsistent and end up in a bad skid with loss of confidence u got to choose who looks the most hungry or the best. from day to day this can change unless u got some defined role to fill. I dont mind seeing him back bur if he doesnt perform at his optimum level he shouldnt be the first choice in the lineup. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

calling a substitutioner trash? hes battling like everyone else and hes done some goood things also. However if ur inconsistent and end up in a bad skid with loss of confidence u got to choose who looks the most hungry or the best. from day to day this can change unless u got some defined role to fill. I dont mind seeing him back bur if he doesnt perform at his optimum level he shouldnt be the first choice in the lineup. 

Have you ever heard of a pop culture reference?

giphy.gif

• Cheers 1

• 5 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Predatory, feet off ice, head contact

Sad. It would have been a gorgeous hit if he hadn't left his feet early. It's always disappointing when a hit is so close to being a great example of a clean hard hit and they get one thing brutally wrong.

I didn't watch the game--was there a penalty on the play? I feel like this would be sufficiently punished with a 5-minute major at most.

• 3 weeks later...

Solid game against the Bruins, one of the best offences in the league and he shut them down nicely, IMO our best defensive-defenceman on the ice. Plays the body well, wins puck battles along the boards and makes the safe smart play to get the puck out of the zone. Wasn't sure where he'd fit in this team but he's becoming one of the best bottom pairing D-men in the league. Not many coaches would feel safe in playoff match ups sending out their 3rd pairing against a top line but I think Fantenberg can easily shut most team's top lines down.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If he's willing to re-sign at, or less than Benn, bring him back and move Benn.

Fanta has been really good.  He’s physically engaged, and hard to play against.  I don’t know what Benn’s Cap hit is, but it would be better served going to Fanta. 

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Fanta has been really good.  He’s physically engaged, and hard to play against.  I don’t know what Benn’s Cap hit is, but it would be better served going to Fanta. 

So true, Alf.  But...I'll bet they could get a 2nd rounder from the Laufs for Benn.  He would look like a beast to that bunch of wall flowers!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

When has Fantanberg been good?   He has been hard burned in several of the last few games while we are fighting for a playoff spot.  At 28 he isn't gonna get good enough to be a regular NHLer, and should not get the benefit of the doubt.  Idk by what stretch of imagination he is worth playing over seasoned vet Jordie Benn.

Fantenberg is a 3rd pairing D. He makes no more mistakes than every other 3rd pairing D in the league. 

Not sure what you think you get when you pay an NHL D $850,000 per year.

Oh yeah...I know....A THIRD PAIRING D!!

Do you even remember pouliot, del zotto, gudbranson, hutton....

Fantenberg has probably been better than every one of them.  

haha...good god.

• Cheers 2

I am honestly not a big fan. He started out really solid but I feel he makes too many mistakes in his own zone. Doesn't generate much offensively and isn't exactly an imposing presence.

But really - we got him as a 7th guy. He is paid like a 7th defender and he plays like a 7th defender. Can't really complain too much...

On 3/10/2020 at 10:11 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

Fantenberg is a 3rd pairing D. He makes no more mistakes than every other 3rd pairing D in the league. 

Not sure what you think you get when you pay an NHL D $850,000 per year.

Oh yeah...I know....A THIRD PAIRING D!!

Do you even remember pouliot, del zotto, gudbranson, hutton....

Fantenberg has probably been better than every one of them.  

haha...good god.

Actually, not at all. Those players aren't in the lineup on good teams.

I liked Fanta to begin but he is proving to be what we originally thought of him, a 7th dman. 7th dmen to me have good spurts of play but it deteriorates over a long stretch of games, a prime example being Alex Biega.

I am pretty surprised that Benn hasn't gotten in over Fanta with his brutal stretch of games lately.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Actually, not at all. Those players aren't in the lineup on good teams.

I liked Fanta to begin but he is proving to be what we originally thought of him, a 7th dman. 7th dmen to me have good spurts of play but it deteriorates over a long stretch of games, a prime example being Alex Biega.

I am pretty surprised that Benn hasn't gotten in over Fanta with his brutal stretch of games lately.

Shows how bad the Benn signing was, when he is worse than Fanta.  And is Myers much better (really) than those two?  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Shows how bad the Benn signing was, when he is worse than Fanta.  And is Myers much better (really) than those two?  

so it turns out. Fanta was a really good signing.. too bad Benn wasn't on the same deal - a one year league minimum show me deal. 

I'm guessing they were both signed as placeholders until big Tram, OJ etc were stepping in. still an upgrade on last season though

I wonder if there's any weight to the Gud comment about lack of team defensive structure.. not that he faired too well after Van, but it's not a comment you hear everyday from ex players. and we see evidence all the time of defensive weakness. perhaps Benn would be better if NB was replaced? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

so it turns out. Fanta was a really good signing.. too bad Benn wasn't on the same deal - a one year league minimum show me deal. 

I'm guessing they were both signed as placeholders until big Tram, OJ etc were stepping in. still an upgrade on last season though

I wonder if there's any weight to the Gud comment about lack of team defensive structure.. not that he faired too well after Van, but it's not a comment you hear everyday from ex players. and we see evidence all the time of defensive weakness. perhaps Benn would be better if NB was replaced? 

Isn’t the head coach responsible fir systems and philosophy?  Plus, I think much of our defensive woes come from a forecheck that is foolish for the elite talent in the NHL.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t the head coach responsible fir systems and philosophy?  Plus, I think much of our defensive woes come from a forecheck that is foolish for the elite talent in the NHL.  

I really think TG could use the help of a "veteran NHL" assistant coach on the bench. Especially one that could help with the D core / and D zone coverages.  Baumgartner does not seem to be doing a very good job of correcting or adjusting this shortfall.  Marky covered a lot of breakdowns in the D zone.

Edited by Borvat
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1