The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injuries] Canucks Injuries 2019/20

Rate this topic

86Viking

2 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Markstrom was hurt when overextended on the Pastrnak goal I am sure.

That he didn't feel it right away is also very bad, torn ligaments hurt like hell, detached for about a minute or less. Also if if is an icl the knee keepss functioning and hurts later.

A menial meniscus tear will not always be painful either.

Benning said he flew to Montreal, woke up this morning and had a MRI after which they sent him back here to consult with the doctors. Again not a good sign, consultation means serious, try to rehab or operate or see if the operation can be postponed.

Quite a problem at this time of year, I wonder who they send down to the AHL to make room for him.

BUT

It could be nothing at all.

A possible side effect of this will be players trying to block more shots causing another injury.

I feel like it might be a season ended at this point.  The bright side is Demko has plenty of experience carrying his team on his back.

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Marky ain't just a starting goalie though. He's been a damn revelation, and is probably the biggest single reason why we're in the hunt. As a team, we bleed high risk chances, and with anything other than outstanding goaltending we'd likely be well on the outside looking in. Maybe the team will learn on the fly to play a better structured defensive game, maybe Demko will find his NHL groove and truly become the goaltender of the future. These are big ifs though.

More than anything I'm just pissed about the Toffoli trade. Not a slight against the player, but it's just not the type of move that a bubble team that's heavily reliant on their goaltending should be making, and with our playoff chances severely hurt with Marky being out, that's less initiative for Toff to resign, and we essentially end up losing Madden and our 2nd for nothing. 

Toff is a pro.

he wasn’t going anywhere in the post season with the kings.

do you seriously think he won’t sign solely because our goalie got hurt?

Edited by riffraff
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Marky ain't just a starting goalie though. He's been a damn revelation, and is probably the biggest single reason why we're in the hunt. As a team, we bleed high risk chances, and with anything other than outstanding goaltending we'd likely be well on the outside looking in. Maybe the team will learn on the fly to play a better structured defensive game, maybe Demko will find his NHL groove and truly become the goaltender of the future. These are big ifs though.

More than anything I'm just pissed about the Toffoli trade. Not a slight against the player, but it's just not the type of move that a bubble team that's heavily reliant on their goaltending should be making, and with our playoff chances severely hurt with Marky being out, that's less initiative for Toff to resign, and we essentially end up losing Madden and our 2nd for nothing. 

It's a blow, for sure, but I wouldn't say "severely hurt".  The schedule has some very winnable games ahead and Demko is a helluva plan B.  I expect the team tightens up defensively and they stay in the hunt.  

It definitely is a wrench in the machine though.

Giant grain of salt as “analytics”, but fwiw during the Bruins game it was found that Markstrom has stolen 8 games with his saves on shots that would be goals if he didn’t stop them. 16 points were gained from him being in net. Tukka Rask another Vezina candidate with similar stats to Marky has stolen 1 game this year. He is the reason we are in the hunt for the post season right now if these stats are to be believed.

He is our rock, our MVP and it will be a big loss to not have him for crunch time on making the playoffs. That all said Demko is a great goalie too and one player’s injury is another’s opportunity. I hope he takes the mantle and runs with it. If we didn’t have Demko then I would be more panicked by this terrible news. Relying on the unknown Domingue would be a huge risk. As it sits though despite the big loss we are positioned about as best as you possibly can be when your #1 guy goes down to injury. Let’s see what happens.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Give your head a shake. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

There some serious negative thinking. Marky has stolen games for sure, but he has also looked human for stretches. We have been blowing teams out of the water at times and Demko has looked decent this season as well aside from a couple of stinkers, but Marky had them too. All "starters" make big saves for their teams and steal games. It's nothing new that decent goaltending helps teams become successful. I don't think Demko is that significant of a drop off to go off the deep end.

When we made the trade, we were more than a bubble team. We were and continue to be a team fighting for tops in the division. The team has worked hard and Benning had said they want to reward the team by giving them the best chance at making the playoffs especially after the Boeser news. Toffoli sees this team is on the rise and he's playing with our best in Petey. I doubt that if we just miss the playoffs that it's the deciding factor if he will be back or not. He and his wife seem to be enjoying their time here and the team has been welcoming and he has a close friend here.

All this fear of losing him for nothing and looking for any excuse that he may walk is just unnecessary worry at this point. This fear is the same as when we made the Miller trade and everyone was concerned about us losing a lotto pick next year assuming we will miss the playoffs this year and next (guess what? Looks like that fear may be mitigated already should we make the playoffs this year). There's so much else that could happen like Demko stepping up, we make the playoffs and we decide to move forward with Demko and saving the cap space to re-sign someone like Toffoli. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

There some serious negative thinking. Marky has stolen games for sure, but he has also looked human for stretches. We have been blowing teams out of the water at times and Demko has looked decent this season as well aside from a couple of stinkers, but Marky had them too. All "starters" make big saves for their teams and steal games. It's nothing new that decent goaltending helps teams become successful. I don't think Demko is that significant of a drop off to go off the deep end.

When we made the trade, we were more than a bubble team. We were and continue to be a team fighting for tops in the division. The team has worked hard and Benning had said they want to reward the team by giving them the best chance at making the playoffs especially after the Boeser news. Toffoli sees this team is on the rise and he's playing with our best in Petey. I doubt that if we just miss the playoffs that it's the deciding factor if he will be back or not. He and his wife seem to be enjoying their time here and the team has been welcoming and he has a close friend here.

All this fear of losing him for nothing and looking for any excuse that he may walk is just unnecessary worry at this point. This fear is the same as when we made the Miller trade and everyone was concerned about us losing a lotto pick next year assuming we will miss the playoffs this year and next (guess what? Looks like that fear may be mitigated already should we make the playoffs this year). There's so much else that could happen like Demko stepping up, we make the playoffs and we decide to move forward with Demko and saving the cap space to re-sign someone like Toffoli. 

I feel confident that TT will see how tight this dressing room is and how hard this group plays for each other.  He's won a Cup, he knows you have to be willing to leave it all out on the ice for the guy sitting next to you and I think he'll see this in this group and give serious consideration to committing to Van.

It helps that he was picked out and pursued by JB precisely because that's the kind of person and player he is.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Got to hope JB isn't sugar coating the Marky injury the way he did Boeser's. If Markstrom os out 6-8 weeks then we live and die by Demko, if he's back in 3 weeks for the two massive Vegas games then we ride him hot hopefully into the playoffs. Here's hoping this and not trading Stecher bonds the team defence...

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

According to SN360, Sutter questionable tonight for the game. 
Bailey back in? 

The never ending Canucks injury curse continues to rack up the body count in quick succession suddenly. Bailey’s got wheels, but I’d much rather MacEwen.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

24 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

The never ending Canucks injury curse continues to rack up the body count in quick succession suddenly. Bailey’s got wheels, but I’d much rather MacEwen.

It is the flu bug, he got it from the Bruins.

Canucks have been blessed with health this season by comparison to other seasons.

This year with the depth there is no using injuries again as a reason.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t get it. Marky looked great in the Boston game. He finished strong and showed no signs of distress or injury. Did he do this off the ice? Did he slip or something?

Certainly could have been during the game. Sometimes it's hard to tell when your muscles are warm and you're focused on the game. Lots of people in sports or physical jobs can tweak something, finish they day without much trouble, but wake up the next day swollen and in pain.

2 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Certainly could have been during the game. Sometimes it's hard to tell when your muscles are warm and you're focused on the game. Lots of people in sports or physical jobs can tweak something, finish they day without much trouble, but wake up the next day swollen and in pain.

True.  Hopefully Marky’s Knee heals up soon.