The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brashear Working at Timmies

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Some of these guys sell off their retirement pensions to financial institutions for a quick lump sum of cash.  Then they go and blow the cash on drugs or whatever.

Some people always do stupid things with their money regardless of income or wealth.....Brashear is no different than a lot of other people. Someone earlier that he made about $16M over his career and, while that is certainly a lot more than most will earn in their lifetime, crap happens and before you know it the money is gone.

How would you like to be this guy that got his $16M all at once?

William Post

Willian Post shared a dream that every single online lottery player has, and that’s to win the lottery. It was back in 1988 in Pennsylvania that Williams dream finally became reality when his lucky lottery numbers fell out of the lotto machine. The prize? A sizeable $16.2 million.

What transpired after he claimed his win sounds like a movie however and it just goes to show you that the people you inform about your lotto win can have a huge impact on your lucky lotto win.

For one thing, his ex-girlfriend sued him for some of the winnings, and if you thought that was pretty bad, his own brother actually hired a hitman in the hope of inheriting a share of the winnings. What’s more is, his other brothers and sisters pushed him into investing in two businesses which literally gave him zero return.

It took Willian less than a year to end up $1 million in debt, and living on Social Security payments.

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Some people always do stupid things with their money regardless of income or wealth.....Brashear is no different than a lot of other people. Someone earlier that he made about $16M over his career and, while that is certainly a lot more than most will earn in their lifetime, crap happens and before you know it the money is gone.

How would you like to be this guy that got his $16M all at once?

William Post

Willian Post shared a dream that every single online lottery player has, and that’s to win the lottery. It was back in 1988 in Pennsylvania that Williams dream finally became reality when his lucky lottery numbers fell out of the lotto machine. The prize? A sizeable $16.2 million.

What transpired after he claimed his win sounds like a movie however and it just goes to show you that the people you inform about your lotto win can have a huge impact on your lucky lotto win.

For one thing, his ex-girlfriend sued him for some of the winnings, and if you thought that was pretty bad, his own brother actually hired a hitman in the hope of inheriting a share of the winnings. What’s more is, his other brothers and sisters pushed him into investing in two businesses which literally gave him zero return.

It took Willian less than a year to end up $1 million in debt, and living on Social Security payments.

I'm not him, nor would I ever be him.  My family has done well for itself and aren't a bunch of leeches.

Now back to Brashear.  I feel for him, and have little doubt he's gotten screwed over out of some money along the way.  I feel worse for him that he's being publicly shamed for doing what he has to do to survive.  That should be commended, not crapped on.

13 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm not him, nor would I ever be him.  My family has done well for itself and aren't a bunch of leeches.

Now back to Brashear.  I feel for him, and have little doubt he's gotten screwed over out of some money along the way.  I feel worse for him that he's being publicly shamed for doing what he has to do to survive.  That should be commended, not crapped on.

My post was not intended to offend you or your family in any way, shape or form. If there was something within my post that did offend you, I do apologize.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, xereau said:

Keep in mind that he receives 45k USD a year from his NHL pension.

Far more than he's gonna make at Timmies.

This is a nothing story.  He is probably bored.

Could be doing a friend (the owner) a favour too.   NHL stars attract a lot of attention. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, nzan said:

Nothing wrong with working at Timmies.

A man that can take the ups and downs of life and keep doing whatever it takes to keep feeding his family (or whatever his reasons) is a man worthy of respect.

Also, did anyone see this take? Ha - idiots.

Untitled.jpg

The worst part is that the photo shows Georges Laraque, not Donald Brashear

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nzan said:

Nothing wrong with working at Timmies.

A man that can take the ups and downs of life and keep doing whatever it takes to keep feeding his family (or whatever his reasons) is a man worthy of respect.

Also, did anyone see this take? Ha - idiots.

Untitled.jpg

The worst part is that the photo shows Georges Laraque, not Donald Brashear

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

My post was not intended to offend you or your family in any way, shape or form. If there was something within my post that did offend you, I do apologize.

I understood your point.  I didn't take any offense at all.  We're all good. ::D

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Fateless said:

I agree with you. Particularly since the point of the article is about how far Brashear has fallen. The sad part is that no one feels sorry for the thousands of other Timmies employees that have never had the opportunities in life that Brashear did, yet we're supposed to feel super sympathetic for the guy. I don't get it. The guy blew his chance at a cushy life and now he lives like the vast majority of the population. Welcome to the real world, Brashear. 

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Oh come on...we're not talking about the 50's here.

According to CapFriendly estimates, Brashear made over $16 million dollars in his career (https://www.capfriendly.com/players/donald-brashear). He made about $1M more than Jay Beagle has earned so far (Jay will pass him by a few million by the time he's done, mostly due to the contract he signed with the Canucks. But if you adjust for inflation Jay's probably going to make less in adjusted dollars).

I was a big Brashear fan back in the day. But let's face it - he blew his money on drugs, and legal battles over being found with drugs. And really, is it that sad that somebody in their 40's has to work for a living? Probably not a great standard of living, but it's pretty much his own fault. At least he still seems to be functioning well, unlike some of the guys who had more problems with C.T.E.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

It sad to see when someone "picks and chooses" who they may or may not have sympathy for. This is the sad state of todays society. "I don't care about that bum he probably deserves to be homeless anyway" is the thought by most people. We should care for each other no matter who we are and not conclude we know "why" a person becomes down on his luck at some part of their life. Most people do not "choose" to have problems in their life and we should not condemn them if they do.

Human beings have ugly traits and one of them is lack of empathy or caring for fellow human beings no matter who they are.

I was going to rip into the 2 goofs above, but I'll instead leave the following comment as a passive aggressive slight against them since your elevated level of compassion has overcome my initial reaction:  

Nobody in this thread knows the slightest damn thing about Brashear's plight over the last decade, and any alternative insinuation is as ignorant as the afforementioned posts above yours.  

Lawyers cost money, brain damage is permanent, but please, everyone continue to rip a dude cause he pours a &^@#ing coffee after a lifetime of choices.  

Bunch of goofs. 

Happy week after Thanksgiving. 

• Like 2
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Big fan of brashear when he was a canuck.

Thought it was very stupid of donald to buy a Lamborghini when he played for Washington. 

What was his salary for that year? A million.

What did the Lamborghini cost him? 

His career earnings were 16.5 million.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think it speaks more of the people who gasp at this than it does a guy who's doing an honest day's work.

None of us are above falling on hard times.  

Who knows the particulars... maybe he’s going through depression and loneliness and this is a way for him to interact with other human beings.