The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$22/hr is average wage needed to afford a two-bedroom apartment in Canada: report

Ryan Strome

On 11/19/2019 at 3:12 PM, riffraff said:

Have you run a business?

He definitely hasn't, 20/hr then vacation, benefits, health care 

If someone went from 12/hr to 20/hr I'd expect the quality, and speed of work to match. Oh you were flipping burgers before, we'll now you're in charge of taking orders and cooking, we aren't filling the cashier position, congrats on your cashier cook promotion

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

If someone went from 12/hr to 20/hr I'd expect the quality, and speed of work to match. Oh you were flipping burgers before, we'll now you're in charge of taking orders and cooking, we aren't filling the cashier position, congrats on your cashier cook promotion

Ye people would have to start working hard.  Like actually stirring that coffee at Tim’s.

9 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Still better than Detroit, which looks like God simply took a s*** on a parking lot. 

With Detroit's economy bouncing back I've talked to a few people moving from Toronto to Windsor then travelling across the border for work since the cost of living is far lower and they will make more money there than in Toronto. 

$81K CDN vs $100K USD ($132K CDN)

AVG home in Windsor $217K. Windsor is a pretty terrible place - the best thing about it is that it is near Detroit. 

Even with crossing a border every day, paying tolls ($12), and an extra $11,000 per year in taxes American's Sh*thole is looking like Canada's paradise. 

It is a huge headache but for some it is worth it to live a comfortable middle class lifestyle instead of being tax and house poor. 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

With Detroit's economy bouncing back I've talked to a few people moving from Toronto to Windsor then travelling across the border for work since the cost of living is far lower and they will make more money there than in Toronto. 

$81K CDN vs $100K USD ($132K CDN)

AVG home in Windsor $217K. Windsor is a pretty terrible place - the best thing about it is that it is near Detroit. 

Even with crossing a border every day, paying tolls ($12), and an extra $11,000 per year in taxes American's Sh*thole is looking like Canada's paradise. 

It is a huge headache but for some it is worth it to live a comfortable middle class lifestyle instead of being tax and house poor. 

Unreal

2 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

That's basically how it worked in Seattle... increase the work (quantity and/or quality) being done, hire less people, and keep the people longer.  in some cases it makes sense, with the more deserving workers making a better income, but ultimately it means a reduction in availability of low skilled jobs.  Just what newcomers (youth and immigrants) and other low- 9r un-skilled workers need to hear.

On 11/20/2019 at 4:43 PM, surtur said:

you can't even find a small Lot for 100K in most medium + sized cities. never mind with a 3-4 bedroom house on it.

Hell 5 years ago when I was buying my house we looked at lots.  Guys out in Mission wanted $300k for a 1/2 acre, it was bloody insane.

I have a 10' closet for rent if you don't mind sleeping vertically.  

True story when me and a buddy were looking for places to rent in Langley some guy showed us a crawl space - 4ft clearance.  Lol, we go down this flight of stairs and he opens it up and we just turned around and left.  "I got other untis for rent!"  Sure buddy.  

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I have a 10' closet for rent if you don't mind sleeping vertically.  

True story when me and a buddy were looking for places to rent in Langley some guy showed us a crawl space - 4ft clearance.  Lol, we go down this flight of stairs and he opens it up and we just turned around and left.  "I got other untis for rent!"  Sure buddy.  

Buddy needs to rent that crawl space to a day care.

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2019 at 2:10 PM, brownky said:

That whole pesky supply and demand thing... lots of people doing low level work means the wages are low, meanwhile lots of people looking to live in that place with said work means rents are high.

It's a lovely city that is a terrible place to live. 

You've missed one (very important) element of things, though, that isn't simply people wanting to live here in a lovely city.

It's people using loopholes to launder money and speculate on "homes" here who don't actually give a rat's behind about this lovely city or living here.  It's their own personal ATM and home is somewhere abroad.  So the measures in place to recognize and curb that, over time, should help.  A band aid on a wide open gash though.  So it's not just that people feel they "have a right" to be here, it's that they're fighting for their right to stay here amidst this artificial game of Monopoly that's setting prices way beyond where they should be.  

If you check the real estate history for Richmond it's very much a game.  The same properties flipped several times in short succession in order to inflate the value with the same group(s) of "buyers" often leading the charge.  Then they cash out.  We all pay the price in their get rich quick scheme.  Numbered companies that have no intention of buying "homes"...they're flipping property, over and over and it's driven things through the roof.  But it isn't natural or normal....it's exploitation of our market and it's happening all over the world.  

And it has a trickle down effect, as workers are sparse/can't afford to live in the cities, businesses close, etc.  It's not a good thing by any means.  People who did cash out for the big bucks - sure...good on them.  But our Mayor's advice to "take the money and run" didn't sit well with many.  For some, it's not just about money.

Also...this is a Air BnB goldmine so people are also buying then renting on a short term versus long term basis.  I mean, why rent out a unit for $2000/month when you can get $200/night?  So people buying property to turn into makeshift hotels, not live in a lovely city.

52 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Also...this is a Air BnB goldmine so people are also buying then renting on a short term versus long term basis.  I mean, why rent out a unit for $2000/month when you can get $200/night?  So people buying property to turn into makeshift hotels, not live in a lovely city.

To be fair, it's not just foreign/absent owners doing that. A lot of the middle class owners struggling to afford to buy and live here do it too as an alternative to full time/monthly rent.

And frankly, I don't blame them. I've heard a lot of nightmare stories of hard to evict, months without rent payment, places trashed etc from people who do rent full time that I don't blame home owners one bit for turning to short term AirBnB rentals that have far less financial and eviction risk as an alternative for mortgage help.

If you live in an area with the faintest tourism draw, it's a far less risky and also let's you still utilize the space (for your own use//friends or family visiting etc) when not rented. Home owners also aren't the party responsible for fixing the rental/housing shortage (and in fact already contribute a LOT to that 'cause' via property taxes).

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You've missed one (very important) element of things, though, that isn't simply people wanting to live here in a lovely city.

It's people using loopholes to launder money and speculate on "homes" here who don't actually give a rat's behind about this lovely city or living here.  It's their own personal ATM and home is somewhere abroad.  So the measures in place to recognize and curb that, over time, should help.  A band aid on a wide open gash though.  So it's not just that people feel they "have a right" to be here, it's that they're fighting for their right to stay here amidst this artificial game of Monopoly that's setting prices way beyond where they should be.  

If you check the real estate history for Richmond it's very much a game.  The same properties flipped several times in short succession in order to inflate the value with the same group(s) of "buyers" often leading the charge.  Then they cash out.  We all pay the price in their get rich quick scheme.  Numbered companies that have no intention of buying "homes"...they're flipping property, over and over and it's driven things through the roof.  But it isn't natural or normal....it's exploitation of our market and it's happening all over the world.  

And it has a trickle down effect, as workers are sparse/can't afford to live in the cities, businesses close, etc.  It's not a good thing by any means.  People who did cash out for the big bucks - sure...good on them.  But our Mayor's advice to "take the money and run" didn't sit well with many.  For some, it's not just about money.

I didn't really miss it so much as it wasn't the crux of this particular issue. The issue raised was to "build more co-op housing" whereas simply building government housing doesn't fix the problem. It's a rotten band-aid at best.

I actually agree with you, one root of the problem is the pump and dump of the housing market by speculators both offshore and local. But that's a whole 'nother argument/can of worms.

11 hours ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, it's not just foreign/absent owners doing that. A lot of the middle class owners struggling to afford to buy and live here do it too as an alternative to full time/monthly rent.

And frankly, I don't blame them. I've heard a lot of nightmare stories of hard to evict, months without rent payment, places trashed etc from people who do rent full time that I don't blame home owners one bit for turning to short term AirBnB rentals that have far less financial and eviction risk as an alternative for mortgage help.

If you live in an area with the faintest tourism draw, it's a far less risky and also let's you still utilize the space (for your own use//friends or family visiting etc) when not rented. Home owners also aren't the party responsible for fixing the rental/housing shortage (and in fact already contribute a LOT to that 'cause' via property taxes).

I can see the appeal to go the Air BnB route vs tenants.   All it takes is one bad tenant.

My father had relatively good tenants at fair average rental rates.  And we keep things working and repaired/replaced when needed.  But we got a really bad tenant one time.  Didn't pay rent for 3 months and literally trashed the house when they were gone.  They took an axe (I presume) and tried to cut down a support beam.  I spent my young teenage summer fixing the whole house.  After that, my dad sold it.  He didn't want the headache anymore. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Kragar said:

My city doesn't allow short term Air BnB...gotta be at least a month's stay.

If it's a big enough issue where you are, perhaps lobby your city council to do something similar.

People should be allowed to use the property they own, as they see fit (so long as it's not breaking any laws).

Again, this is not a problem home owners should be responsible for fixing. And again, many working class people, rely on it to simply afford home ownership (with less eviction and financial risk). 

Blocking short term rentals doesn't fix the ACTUAL problem. It just gives working people one less route to home ownership and less freedom to use their own property as they wish.