The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fan or no, hockey is a time suck.

Disgruntler

I agree. 

I find playing soccer albeit at a low level is more enjoyable then watching a game by myself. 

I try to avoid video games and watching movies by myself. If it's a date or a boys night then whatever but I am with you. I am not gonna spend hundreds of dollars on games and merchandise for a team that ultimately doesn't matter. It's entertaining to an extent but more important things need my focus atm. Like this girl and all that comes with that 

• Upvote 1

While I can't say I have stopped caring, I find myself watching less and less games every year. Its just far too time consuming and I am at a point in my life where time is scarce and an 82 game schedule makes it an even easier decision to skip games due to the reduced importance of each individual game. There are 31 teams, I think there should just be a home and home with each. To me football has the best regular season and that's because there are only 16 games. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Weird that something that means and provides nothing can be so intertwined with the culture of our great country.

I disagree.  So therefore that means it’s possible you’re alone in your own truth.  

Most likely there will be some that may feel as you do.

Amen brother. You do you, and be happy. But for many this sport is their passion and that’s ok too. How we spend our time (as @coastal.view said) is a choice. I joined this forum 6 years ago but have watched this team for 40+ years. I have many memories I associate with the game and times in my life both good and bad. Like all entertainment, it’s an escape. What you put into that escape is your choice. Relevance is in the mind of the beholder. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 6string said:

Been there and came back to see what the heck was going on in 2011.

I have stuck around because aside from my other passions in life, I had cut off TV, Movies ( Hollywood/Pedowood in general ), Fraud Media News of all forms and advertising.  Basically I was shutting down off all of the manufactured engineering and messaging.

Woke!

But I had a strong desire for some form of entertaintment...hockey, basketball and boxing were the answer, all online!

Good call 6S. I dumped a lot of that stuff about 25 yrs back..when I was working a couple jobs, saving for Japan. Sometimes it's frustrating to feel out of the cultural loop, but I'd never go back to the daily habits of young 20's.

Hollyweird is really disappointing. Their product is mostly crap.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i started listening and then watching hockey about 1945. my life has taken many twists and turns over my 81 years. i’ve lost love ones, changed jobs, started a family, watched my son start his family, seen my grandson grow into a man. my life was full of ups and downs, but through it all, the one constant, has been my love of watching hockey games. when my wife had her stroke, because she didn’t like hockey, i stopped watching games. the day she died, the undertaker couldn’t take her body till the next day. while her mother spent her time, sorting through her clothes, my son and i sat beside her and watched a canuck game. that was how we grieved that loss. 

sports are not the be all, end all to our lives, but imo, having a team to cheer for, is like the punctuation mark at the end of a sentence. (if that makes any sense)

I felt every word of this, Joe.  xo

• Upvote 1

I guess it's an escape for a lot of people. I don't watch it religiously like I used to. Don't mistake that for not caring or not being passionate. When I was in university I had almost all the time in the world. Now, when a game is on Saturday night and I'm a working scrub like everyone else here, I'll probably choose to go out with friends instead of watching the game. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1